🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 88.5 — Minisode 88.5

Maybe Gooby is the first of a 3-part film trilogy that ends with The Shining. We're just missing the really dark 2nd chapter where everything goes wrong for Gooby and he eventually arrives at The Overlook Hotel where he's forced to give blow jobs to strangers in order to sustain his pricey heroin habit.

Clearly you have not seen Gooby. Everything about Gooby screams addict/alcoholic uncle... that terrible time is already in his past when Gooby opens.

Yeah guys, Definitely find a way to watch this movie!

It has to be seen to be believed!

This is a truly dark story about a young boy with serious mental disorders, and his parents who are pretty sure he's fine...

Don't get me wrong, there are absolutely some parts where you can fast forward.

A good rule of thumb is if you hear pop music and they're running away from nobody, x32 that shit.

Now wait, Gooby is NOT a bear.

He's an Orange Fuzzy Monster, Just so we settle that right now.

I kind of feel like all Canadian movies are like this...

Can anyone north of the border confirm or deny this?

Has HDTGM ever done a Canadian Production Before?

Can't wait for the Live Shows!

I've tried to watch this movie but it really is awful and I can't keep my attention on it. It's not fun in any way. It's not so bad it's good, it's just bad. I haven't completely given up yet though and will try to watch more of it tonight.

post-94352-0-85683000-1405731234_thumb.jpg

I just finished this movie and am filled with equal parts confusion and unbridled rage at having seen such a horrible film.

Paul, I agree 100% with you Adobe Reader hate. So frustrating!

The hate only ended for me when I uninstalled it and replaced it with PDFLite

I also saw the movie a few days ago for the first time. I actually had heard of Gooby as of a few years ago since The Flophouse did an episode on Gooby but was too lazy to watch it and just listened to their podcast. Seeing as though it's been two years since they released that episode, I had forgotten what they had talked about and didn't know what to expect when I saw the film. Not that anybody cares too much, but here are some of my thoughts on the movie:

- Let's just get this out of the way: Gooby molested the little boy, right? Their relationship was just a bit too friendly(I'll explain in an upcoming point) for it just to be best pals messing about. Well, to me, anyways.

-Also, this kid has some serious psychological problems at the beginning of this film, right? I mean, the two-headed monsters thing, to essentially behaving like a 5 year old when he and his family moved out of their old home, to his weird, poorly drawn(for an 11 year old, anyway) imaginary spaceships. It just seemed odd.

- Willie's Dad was JAG, right?

- I think this point supports my first one. When Willie and Gooby split off in the middle of the film, did anybody else get the feeling that it was like a couple breaking up? First, they have this giant argument and then they go their separate ways. Then, (if I'm remembering correctly), there's like this montage of Willie and Gooby palling around and then Willie is essentially begging for Gooby to come back. Finally, when they do regroup, Willie is like the girlfriend in an abusive relationship, where he's a bit too grateful for Gooby coming back and is begging him never to leave his side. It was all just very strange.

- I hated the Eugue Levy character. It was all just terrible.

-I also feel like this movie didn't know whether to treat Gooby as either visible to everybody or only Willie.

I could go on forever, but suffice to say, this movie is fucking bat-shit insane on so many levels.

Returning to the dog for a minute, is it possible that the guy caught that dog while he was fishing and is throwing it back?

Also, this mini ep provided more evidence that Paul has some kind of name aphasia. And on that subject, doesn't it seem like whenever Paul apologizes for mispronouncing Avril the intern's name in the past, there is no discernible difference in how he says the name with the supposedly correct pronunciation?

• Like 1

"Whatever happened to Benji?"

Well, Paul, if you had done some research, you would have discovered his owner kinda clunkily tossed his ragdoll body in the ocean. This was a real epidemic in the '80's. Lots of Lassies and Benjis washing up on waterside doorsteps.

• Like 1

Returning to the dog for a minute, is it possible that the guy caught that dog while he was fishing and is throwing it back?

Also, this mini ep provided more evidence that Paul has some kind of name aphasia. And on that subject, doesn't it seem like whenever Paul apologizes for mispronouncing Avril the intern's name in the past, there is no discernible difference in how he says the name with the supposedly correct pronunciation?

But that dog will die off anyway. It's always bad to throw a dog back, because the other dogs will know that he was caught and detect your scent/hormones on them.

Dogs are not Catch and Release. You basically got to eat them if you snag one.

• Like 2

Nah, I never watch any of these if it costs money, and this doesn't seem worthy of an exception.

Try your public library. Mine had SIX copies!

Try your public library. Mine had SIX copies!

Of Gooby? Why would your library do that?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but why does Peter Fonda look like he had a foreskin lift...like all the way up to his face? That's his head shot? I mean, maybe there's a 'that's what she said' joke in there...depressing...

This may be an unintended segue from the previous comment, but I want to thank Paul for recommending "Under The Skin." I have always wanted to see a 1 hour and 48 minute portrayal of Ally Sheedy's character from "Breakfast Club" mutely wandering around Scotland alone. I took Andy Warhol to the screening, and he kept begging to leave, telling me he was "bored out of my skull." I wanted to use the film as a screen saver, but my IT people said that a screen saver has to consist of some kind of moving image...

Sign in to follow this