🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GuyYedwab

Snowpiercer!

Oh man. Please please please do Snowpiercer. It has all of the visual brilliance and tight action of a Fast and Furious movie (but with trains instead of cars!), but the most bonkers dialogue and plot twists ever!

It's got:

• Clumsily handled exposition!
  • Horrible ADR lines that add more clumsily handled exposition!
  • Eye-catchingly distractingly bad make-up!
  • Plot holes you can drive a train through!
  • Absurd one-liners that will go down in history!
  • Literally mind-blowing performances by Tilda Swinton, Chris Evans, Ed Harris!
  • The biggest fuck-you ending I've seen in a long time!

Jason will be angry! June will be upset! Paul is going to love it!

Nice.

You know this movie has 95% on Rotten Tomatoes right?

• Like 1

I fucking loved this movie. Definitely buying when it comes out and the performances were fantastic along with the great visuals. I loved the idea of the story being done in a way similar to "The Masque of the Red Death" where the rebels would bare witness to a variety of lives they were not used to, each representing a darker and darker way of life as they went further towards the head of the train. Boo on you sir!

• Like 3

Holy shit this is Hugo all over again.

Stylistically this movie is beautiful. The action scenes were incredibly well done. Does not change the fact that this movie is a lovely looking piece of garbage.

My wife and I both looked at each other stunned after watching this, we were both expecting an amazing movie from the all the hype on Io9, and the fact that The Host was a great movie. Boy were we wrong.

SPOILAAAAAAAS

-Are you fucking kidding me? Chris Evans is disgusted to find out that protein bars are made out of insects. Despite the fact that he and all the other tail section passengers were eating one another at one point?

I should think that eating a few bugs would be far more favorable than your mentors arm.

-Why is what appears to be a middle-aged banker the most elite fighter on the train? He destroys Chris Evans and the mute ninja guy with the tattoo's, only to be effortlessly defeated by Song Kang-Ho?

-Why are they slowly walking through the train after the first fight? I thought this was a desperate battle to the front of the train.

The sushi and classroom scene are both fucking nuts, and give such a weird sense of pacing. Watching Chris Evans and Co. stand there and listen to endless amounts of exposition was painful.

-Why were there bullets in the fucking eggs?I can understand hiding guns in the egg baskets, but what the fuck was with the individual bullets hidden in the eggs.

-Why would Ed Harris want to recruit someone from the tail section, rather than have a son or daughter and groom them for the role?

-Chris Evans is horrified that children are being used to keep the train running. How is that anywhere near as horrifying to him as the time he almost ate a fucking baby.

-Despite his horror, Chris Evans and crew decide to destroy the train, and appear to kill every last remaining person on the planet including all the children. Save two.

-We learn at the end that life is sustainable outside the train. Except that the last two survivors are a 20 year old woman and a 3 year old child. Which means that the only logistical conclusion is that these two will more than likely die of starvation or freezing to death. Or that they survive and attempt to repopulate the planet. Both of which are unfortunate.

-This movie is garbage.

I do think there were some logical inconsistencies (like Evans being grossed out by eating insect-pulp), but other than that, this movie is stellar and one of my favorites of the year. It is neither ridiculous enough in its action to be laughed about (like Fast and the Furious movies), nor is it "bad" or illogical enough to be laughed at. It's one of the most unique films I've seen in a long, long time and there are far worse films worthy of podcast mockery out there.

I'll admit it's a very interesting premise, but to say there isn't enough here to sustain a podcast is silly. There's so much insanity to discuss aside from the logic of the last people on earth all being one one train and incidentally I might add.

It's like Drew Weeny said, world-building movies can have a really easy time getting themselves into some trouble, in terms of finding a way to adequately explain everything.

I can pretty much guarantee this movie would make an amazing podcast, the ending would drive Jason absolutely mental.

• Like 1

Why do the people who didn't like this movie just assume that Jason would be on their side and not the side of the vast majority of critics who had a positive opinion of it?

• Like 3

I liked it, I thought it was interesting, beautifully shot and clever. I don't think we can dig into "how insane the premise was" since the plot is more of an allegory and social commentary.

I saw this film two weekends ago with my wife, and while Snowpiercer isn't the worst movie we've ever seen, the ending left a lot to be desired. Not an awful film, just meh. I'd even go so far as to say "marginally good": a decent weekend watcher, especially if you, like me, enjoy dystopian sci-fi world-builders.

The two biggest plot holes for me were:

1. Why build a super train with an engine that requires small children to keep it running? This seems like a very glaring flaw in the overall design of this technologically advanced locomotive.

2. Why, if they front passengers were so brutal and callous, would they continue to ferry all of the poor, seemingly useless tail section passengers? Why not keep just a few families (in order to farm their children for "engine duty") and jettison the rest of these people whom they have absolutely no regard for? It's like the elite front passengers aboard the train was begging for a revolution.

I have to say, despite the absolutely clunky exposition ("Stude's notes," as June would say), I LOVED that classroom car scene. The actress playing the pregnant teacher made that bit. Also: the visual of a pregnant woman firing a machine gun and then getting a knife to the throat was marginally shocking and subversive. For an okay flick, that part really stayed with me.

1. Why build a super train with an engine that requires small children to keep it running? This seems like a very glaring flaw in the overall design of this technologically advanced locomotive.

I imagine it's because perpetual motion is impossible, and an adult would be too big and too questioning.

2. Why, if they front passengers were so brutal and callous, would they continue to ferry all of the poor, seemingly useless tail section passengers? Why not keep just a few families (in order to farm their children for "engine duty") and jettison the rest of these people whom they have absolutely no regard for? It's like the elite front passengers aboard the train was begging for a revolution.

As explained in the movie, (SPOILERS) they need to cut down the population every once in a while. The best way to do that is to have the tail section attempt revolution. Do you think the rich people would stand for being randomly killed by their superiors?

• Like 1

Blast Hardcheese wrote: " 1. Why build a super train with an engine that requires small children to keep it running? This seems like a very glaring flaw in the overall design of this technologically advanced locomotive. "

it wasn't build to need children at all, but it's been running for so long that it has started to need repair and they don't have parts to fix it. this is explaned in the movie at the end , Small children are the only people small enough to get inside the engine of the train and fix it.

Blast Hardcheese wrote:2. "Why, if they front passengers were so brutal and callous, would they continue to ferry all of the poor, seemingly useless tail section passengers? Why not keep just a few families (in order to farm their children for "engine duty") and jettison the rest of these people whom they have absolutely no regard for? It's like the elite front passengers aboard the train was begging for a revolution."

as for question two the movie it's self is sort of like those 1970s end of the world films. Much like Logan's Run, Soylent Green style of glum and doom overpopulation problems that is the stuff of good scifi. The young must eat the old in order for us to survive. but by doing so we destroy our self's in the doing. we become less then human, a repeated theme.

Why do the people who didn't like this movie just assume that Jason would be on their side and not the side of the vast majority of critics who had a positive opinion of it?

The movie ends with 20+ year old woman who will have to theoretically begin repopulating the planet with a 3 year old.

Jason would lose his fucking mind over this movie. Whether he liked it or not.

Holy shit, I almost forgot about the scene where Chris Evans and the Head of security guy were sniping at each other from what appeared to be a half a mile away on a fast moving train, with sub-machine guns.

This is a terrible movie.

We need a new segment for the mini show callled who would jason side with...Each week a conflict from the forum will be asnwered by paul scheer or Maybe but unlikely Jason.

• Like 1

To go Todd Glass on everyone, I am just going to say this movie wasn't for me. I can't say it's bad and a lot of the problems people have pointed out on here are actually things that were totally explained in the movie. That being said, I personally didn't like it.

My biggest problems aside from the ending were things like how the costume and set design were really well done, but then the special effects looked like complete and utter shit. The turbines for the engine in particular looked like a 90s screen saver. Or how bad the acting was in the beginning, although that got a lot better as it went.

Also, they did unnecessary stuff to explain the plot, like how the train gets its water from smashing into ice blocks. That is annoyingly stupid and the last thing that the train should have a problem with is a water shortage. The entire planet is snow. It's a dumb plot device to keep Chris Evans moving forward, which they didn't need. Or the limb out the train torture pod - so Ed Harris designed that thing to be implemented in the train from before the world was even snow in the forethought of terrorizing the proletariat caboose into a revolution so he could have hatchet wielding soldiers attack them with night vision goggles when the train goes through a tunnel? But he also admits that the revolution population control method wasn't developed until later? So did they cut the train open while it was moving to put that hole in recently?

These are really nitpicky, but things like this kept taking me out of the movie. I should have probably just relaxed more.

Also the ending should have been Chris Evans accepting title of Conductor and then stopping the train and everyone getting off the train together. The real ending was a very odd choice.

Sign in to follow this