🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Where do I start with Jawbreaker? You know, that horrible 90s teen black comedy starring Rose McGowan, Rebecca Gayheart and Judy Greer?

This gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5Z9Fz7Spc

Do I start with the endless sea of women that are obviously in their twenties playing high school queen bees? The nauseatingly colorful 90s clothes? The superfluous characters and plot threads that go nowhere? The repetitive soundtrack? The Marilyn Manson cameo? The irony that real-life sex-tape star and vehicular manslaughter(er?) Rebecca Gayheart is supposed to be the moral center of the film? The cartoon sound-effects? The stilted, unenthusiastic dialogue? The ridiculous plot twists? The bizarre editing choices? The girl that (SPOILER) attends all her regular high school classes under an assumed identity without raising the suspicions of anyone in the administration (END SPOILER)?

Think reverse 'Brick' meets 'Mean Girls', all hopped up on sugar and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fashion.

The list of things wrong with this movie--like the lineage of bad comedies of which it is a part--is endless (it has a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes, making it one of the top ten worst films of the 90s). But I can think of few other HDTGM movie candidates with the dubious distinction of featuring a scene where the main characters drive right into the middle of a densely populated area so they can specifically talk about their murder cover-up.

At the time of this post it's streaming on HBO-GO.

By the way, you know how the trailer makes it sound like Pam Grier (yes, this movie has both Greer and Grier) is going to play a major part in the film? She barely has more screen time than most of the extras.

• Like 1

The Marilyn Manson cameo was grosso.

I liked this movie when I saw it the first time. It seems a bit too tongue in cheek to be a serious contender for the podcast despite its quirks.

• Like 1

I've tried to watch this two times now and have given up, It's on cable tv all the dam time. but i can't help comparing it to "Heathers 1988" with Christian Slater & Winona Ryder. I love that movie it's a classic. it's sort of a dark comedy, Thriller. isn't Jawbreaker really just a shameless remake or should i just try a third time.

Best parts of Heathers is the on going scenes with the preacher, he stole that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBIm_dillw

It is basically a 90s version of Heathers.

But I have a soft spot for it. It's kind of like Mean Girls but with actual murder.

• Like 1

Please, please do this movie. I can only imagine how much Jason would despise it and how upsetting it would be to June.

Best parts of Heathers is the on going scenes with the preacher, he stole that movie.

I love my dead gay son!

Julie Benz looked hot in this. Otherwise, terrible. It tries SO HARD to edgy and relevant. I don't think it has much HDTGM potential, however.

This is actually one of my favorite movies!

It's a dark comedy. It's supposed to be ridiculous and over-the-top, wanna-be edgy. The bubble-pop universe that these characters inhabit makes it so fun.

As much as I would love to hear Jason's perspective on the scene where Rose McGowan makes her dude give a popsicle a blowjob, I wouldn't say it's HDTGM material.