🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 89 — Gooby

This might be the underlying reason why we are all uncomfortable with Gooby's appearance:

snapshot20071023200725zo9.jpg

• Like 3

What was Willy trying to protect Colin from during the soccer game? You're SUPPOSED to stop the ball on your chest or foot or hit it with your head or whatever. That's not dodgeball. Canadians have no idea how soccer works, do they?

Now my main issue with this film.... umm was Willy on some sort of medication at the beginning? If he wasn't he probably should have been because seriously, he was mentally ill. I'm not talking about vivid imagination and phases kids go through and stuff, no, no, the kid had serious mental issues, seeing and hearing things, talking about a "safe place" and all that... now I'm no child psychologist but I do think this is some serious stuff. right there This film was terrible but it did manage to make me feel really, really bad for this child and the scary part is, I don't think after Gooby's gone he's gonna get better. How's the father and son bonding, gonna solve anything? Maybe at some point the dad's gonna realize: "I've not been paying enough attention to this child but now that I've spent more time with him, boy does he need some serious professional help!". And the cool kids ONLY led him in their circle because a guy in a bear suit who they thought was his dad let them see an R rated film. The bully ONLY left him alone because a creepy man in a bear suit made him piss his pants. Willy did not learn anything out of this, he still won't be able to make friends and he'll still be bullied and he'll probably get his weird schizo episodes back after Gooby's gone, nothing's resolved, really, aside from him and his dad getting closer.

AAAGH TOTALLY BEAT ME TO IT.

This is why I will never be able to watch this film (Gooby- I will watch the Shining a million fucking times).

f66654.jpg

• Like 1

Repeatedly getting to hear June pronounce "Gooby" has been one of my greatest pleasures in life.

June saying "Gooby" was adorable. I like to think she now uses it in her regular conversation.

"Don't be such a Gooby!"

I love all the people simultaneously relating Gooby's appearance to that specific bear... I remember seeing the Shining when I was really young and that scene was one of the only things about the film that truly creeped me out, mostly because I just didn't understand the reference as a child.

I guess I had a high constitution for dads trying to kill their entire families and bleeding elevators, but something about ursine fellatio shook me to the core.

Great episode. Although this was touched on, my CORRECTION & OMISSION is this:

I kept thinking, why did the kid need to keep Gooby hidden from everyone?? You'd think if he had a history of therapy because he imagines things, then he would want people to know about Gooby as validation that he isn't actually crazy.

Also, as a Canadian living in America, I find myself constantly having to apologize for crappy Canadian things (like Justin Beiber, Nickleback, Celine Dion, Rob Ford…) My country is filled with talented people but, alas, these guys make the headlines. And now, one of our heralding treasures, Eugene Levy of classic SCTV, is dirtying himself with this.

So, on behalf of the Canadian people, I'd like to sincerely say:

Thank-Gooby we have another piece of trash to apologize for!

:)

See the attached link below for my official apology:

After watching the trailer, I could not bring myself to watch this movie. From the podcast, it sounds like viewing this film would be the molestation that we all clearly know Gooby is the embodiment of.

This came out well after Shrek. Do you think Gooby's Scottish brogue was an "homage" or parallel thinking by filmmakers who haven't seen a kid's movie since the 1990's?

How Mal? Abysmal, I'm guessing, as I can't force myself to actually watch it.

OK so I listened to the show and I think i understand the lesson the kid learned from Gooby. on shopping if you wear a stupied Gooby mask and outfit and walk into any grocery store and start eating anything you like. The odds are most stores are not going to call the police on you. at one point your going to find you'll have most of the store to your self.

Correction/Omission? - I don't think I heard you say the name of this director, Wilson ConeyBEARe! And that his filmography includes such works as "Monster Warriors" and "MY SECRET IDENTITY"!! AND that Wilson is the name of a real grumpy stuffed bear who smokes cigars (see attachment)!!! Conclusion: This is an autobiographical film BY GOOBY HIMSELF! This is a Canadian version of Adaptation by a live sentient stuffed bear who wrote himself into his own script to introduce himself to the world. Gooby is real and the world's parents better lock up their children or they could be next!!!!

post-96710-0-61237700-1406162663_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Correction/Omission:

As was mentioned, the lessons this movie seemed to be teaching children were strange, but I think you guys missed one of the worst. At first the movie seemed to be about overcoming new circumstances and making new friends (something specifically called out in the beginning that Willy would have trouble with). When he's at school, Willy is approached by the "nerdy" kid who points out all the popular kids. I assumed he and the nerdy kid would become friends, but instead we oddly never see him again and Willy becomes friends with cool kids. Anyway, at least Gooby helped Willy make new friends and that lesson was taught, right?

Wrong! After Willy starts hanging out with real children, Gooby throws a temper tantrum, runs away, and is mad at Willy for ignoring him. So now it's teaching kids that they should never spurn their imaginary friends for real people, which is a terrible lesson.

• Like 3

SOMETHING I THINK THAT WAS MISSED.

Hey guys - this is my FIRST post, and actually the first time I have watched a movie just so I could listen to the podcast (in the past I have either only listened to ones I had already seen or didn't care that I hadn't seen). Gooby was so deliriously bad/good, and I haven't read all the comments to see if anyone mentioned this yet, but I wanted to comment on something that I think the guys missed.

Paul keeps saying that Gooby doesn't help the kid with the hoonies, or do anything else that the voice-overs say he did. I think the thing everyone missed is that Gooby was there to have the kid help HIM (meaning help Gooby) get over the fears that he had, so that made Willy comfort him and sometimes chastise him for his (Gooby's) fears, and in so doing, get over his own (Willy's) fears. Gooby was like a foil for all of Willy's shortcomings. He would ask him all these rhetorical questions about life situations framed sometimes as fears or doubts that he (Gooby) pretended to have, and one by one, Gooby helps Willy grow up and get over his hang-ups.

What do you guys think?

I feel the real lesson we can all take away from this movie is to have your pets spayed or neutered or they will rape your kids.

• Like 2

Not really a correction but a omission.

The actor who voiced Gooby; Robbie Coltrane, is not the same person who was in the super awesome looking Gooby costume. That was played by Derek Scott.

Also just a fun fact the movie scored a mere 20% on rotten tomatoes, the kicker only 5 people reviewed it.

The thing that bothered me the most was the scene where gooby constructs that rocket car. If they had just moved into that house how would they have had all the parts to construct that car just lying around in the garage? Also, Willie immediately recognizes the finished cart as the rocket car he had imagined despite the fact that it looks nothing like his illustration. They then proceed to wheel the cart into the woods and up a hill but willie is somehow surprised at how the wheels function. wouldn't he have noticed how loose they were while moving the car?

Omission...

I was surprised the group didn't talk about how the movie is 90% scenes of people searching for other people. Willy in the backyard with a flashlight was about 20% of the movie just on its own. Gooby looking for Willy, the parents looking for Willy, Mr Nerdlinger looking for Gooby, Willy and Gooby looking for a place to hide, and then looking for the dad's old apartment. SO BORING!

It reminded me of Congo, which was basically a movie about modes of transportation that happened to have a talking gorilla in it.

• Like 1

Kinda correction/omission, but in the episode they were talking about the stupid hot dog scene, and Paul said that Gooby said 'watch this' and then threw the hotdog at the kid...but actually he said "Ever seen this before?" then took another bite of the hot dog and threw it at him...like it was an actual thing that people do? Like its a common sleepover party trick, 'oh, the old take a bite of a cold hot dog and throw it at your friends face gag, I love that one.'

Also, this stupid thing didn't know what broccoli was, didn't know what brussels sprouts were, or anything about Captain Crunch, but just pointed to a tupperware container that was off-screen and said 'pass me those hot dogs'. And speaking of Captain Crunch, what kind of grocery store keeps the cat food sandwiched between the Captain Crunch and the pancake batter?

• Like 1

I thought Nathan was great on the show, but I wish he would've had more time to talk. Those three steamroll the guests a bit and I don't care when the guest is someone irritating, but when it's Nathan I'm less forgiving.

I'd say the Trio really went out of there way to engage him but he just wasn't giving a lot. This was really one of the least 'everyone talking over each other' episodes of the show. Nathan is really funny but I just don't think this is a format he thrives in. Plus I got the impression that watching this movie was a really unpleasant experience for him.

Nathan Fielder is really like that. Not sure why people think he's not.

• Like 1

Has anyone brought up the theory that Gooby is actually Willy's Tyler Durden? Gooby is everything Willy wishes he could be.

Almost died at 1:02:46

June - "And I, I wouldn't put all of this on the director, I mean I think there's..."

Nathan - "He wrote it too"

June - "oh"

Paul - "He produced it with the magician"

• Like 2

My first thought when seeing Gooby was this an alternate title for this movie could be "Pedobear: the Movie". I see that I am not the only one...

pedobear__the_movie_by_xtroid-d3cqygp.png

My second thought was that Gooby and Pennywise from "IT" are basically interchangeable. You can swap them and each movie is no less terrifying.

I saw this horror trailer remake. and I wanted to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8b8oXjN9KM

• Like 1

Not really a correction but a omission.

The actor who voiced Gooby; Robbie Coltrane, is not the same person who was in the super awesome looking Gooby costume. That was played by Derek Scott.

Also just a fun fact the movie scored a mere 20% on rotten tomatoes, the kicker only 5 people reviewed it.

Derek Scott is Canada's Andy Serkis.

Correction and Omission:

Let's focus on the positive. Gooby's ass could have looked a lot worse than threadbare--have you seen a Charmin commercial lately?

Members, please resist the urge to illustrate this comment.