🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 90 — Sharknado 2: The Second One

That'd be the tagline.

Okay, but, are we in agreeance that number 4 would be "Sharknado in Space". Where, this time, the human race has to create a Sharknado to block an asteroid hitting the earth?

Then, Ian Ziering has to fly through the Sharknado, with Tara Reid in tow, using her buzzsaw hand to cut through the asteroid before it hits earth.

Regarding the arm situation, when he said "she won't be needing this anymore" it seemed to be in regard to the shark, as in she won't be needing this as food anymore. The amount chewed off is just another example of bad design and prop work by this movie.

Also when Tara Reid went in to get her plastic surgery do you think she said "make me look like the jenna jameson of today?"

I didn't see the movie, but listening to this episode my interpretation of this line was also that "she" is the shark. How he knows it's a female is a mystery.

"Well, I don't see a shark dick flapping around in the wind. This one's gotta be a lady."

• Like 1

CORRECTION! The ring and hand at the end WAS DEFINITELY Tara Reids. Ian is looking for a weapon when he takes it out of the sharks mouth, and Taras hand was still clutching the pistol she was firing at the shark when it was bitten off. He also says "Won't be needing this again." Not "She won't be needing this again." The prop arms length is just dum dum prop work, the phrasing is just poor syntax.

I'm a little "sharked" that y'all did not address the fact that Mark McGrath and Kari Wuhrer's characters' names were Martin Brody and Ellen Brody. These names might sound familiar because they're Roy Schneider and Ellaine Gary's characters' names from Jaws.

I've seen a lot of people mention this, and maybe it's just me, but I had no god damned clue what anybody was named in this movie other than Fin. People just kinda showed up for like 30 seconds, did something or another and we never heard from them again. Even the rest of the main cast I don't ever remember anyone saying their names, or cared about any of the characters enough to remember. Maybe it's just me.

Also, with the flamethrowers and what such a good idea it was...that was after those very characters had witnessed and been assaulted by a flaming shark, that was on fire a lot, like more than a spritzing from a super soaker would manage, and it was fine...if anything it's menace had been increased. Also the plastic nozzle of the super soaker would have melted and closed up, in all the super soaker to flame thrower conversions I've seen, you have to put in a new, usually metal, nozzle.

• Like 1

CORRECTION! The ring and hand at the end WAS DEFINITELY Tara Reids. Ian is looking for a weapon when he takes it out of the sharks mouth, and Taras hand was still clutching the pistol she was firing at the shark when it was bitten off. He also says "Won't be needing this again." Not "She won't be needing this again." The prop arms length is just dum dum prop work, the phrasing is just poor syntax.

There's also the possibility that they used a bad prop because they were intentionally making a bad movie.

• Like 1

OMMISION! Id also like to point out that Tera Reid does little to pretend her hand has been amputated, she can actually be seen grasping the woman shes rescuing as they run through the hospital.

There's also the possibility that they used a bad prop because they were intentionally making a bad movie.

Possibly.... or, and hear me out here, the sharks are mutants that have regenerative effects on flesh kind of like Wolverines healing factor. This helped regrow the tissue and also is why the sharks can survive out of their natural habitat.

• Like 1

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS:

I figured out the hand thing!

He says, "Not gonna need this again," because they can't reattach her shark-eaten arm (and she's a got a perfectly good circular saw for a hand!) but then adds, "But this..." because they WILL need the ring for him to propose.

post-36049-0-19362000-1407090753_thumb.jpg

post-36049-0-10744700-1407090757_thumb.jpg

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS:

Two things I noticed that didn't come up during the podcast:

1. What about the moment right before Judd Hirsch's death when he said he was worried about swinging on the rope because "Only one of my legs is real!" Why was that relevant?! When he fell I thought at first that maybe he was okay because the sharks bit into his fake leg....Nope! Blood EVERYWHERE.

2. Right before Vivica Fox and Ian Ziering start slingshoting the bombs into the sharknado, she asks him if the plan is going to work. His response? A totally noncommittal shrug!

I loved Sharknado 2. I was laughing out loud from start to finish.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of people mention this, and maybe it's just me, but I had no god damned clue what anybody was named in this movie other than Fin. People just kinda showed up for like 30 seconds, did something or another and we never heard from them again. Even the rest of the main cast I don't ever remember anyone saying their names, or cared about any of the characters enough to remember. Maybe it's just me.

Also, with the flamethrowers and what such a good idea it was...that was after those very characters had witnessed and been assaulted by a flaming shark, that was on fire a lot, like more than a spritzing from a super soaker would manage, and it was fine...if anything it's menace had been increased. Also the plastic nozzle of the super soaker would have melted and closed up, in all the super soaker to flame thrower conversions I've seen, you have to put in a new, usually metal, nozzle.

I didn't actively catch any names when I watched the movie, but I was just half-paying attention at one point cuz I was bored and I heard the name, "Ellen Brody," and since I've listened to the Jaws 4 podcast a billion times, it caught my attention, so I read the Wikipedia page. I figured it was the writers being "super clever" like when they killed a shark in the first Sharknado by blowing up its mouth with a gun and a gas tank.

One of the things I noticed about this movie is that they don't really focus on the tornado aspect of the Sharknado. In the opening scene, the plane is not really affected by a giant funnel of 200-300 mph winds, just flying sharks. Then, you would think that the tornadoes would actually destroy buildings like they do in real life, but instead, they are just basically transporting sharks. If 3 tornadoes hit New York, even if they did last forever like they do in these movies, they would destroy many buildings instead of just decapitating the Statue of Liberty. Also, if those 3 tornadoes then combined to form a super-tornado, and it would leave no Empire State Building left to blow up. They just disregard the "nado" part of the Sharknado until they talk about destroying the anomaly.

One of the things I noticed about this movie is that they don't really focus on the tornado aspect of the Sharknado. In the opening scene, the plane is not really affected by a giant funnel of 200-300 mph winds, just flying sharks. Then, you would think that the tornadoes would actually destroy buildings like they do in real life, but instead, they are just basically transporting sharks. If 3 tornadoes hit New York, even if they did last forever like they do in these movies, they would destroy many buildings instead of just decapitating the Statue of Liberty. Also, if those 3 tornadoes then combined to form a super-tornado, and it would leave no Empire State Building left to blow up. They just disregard the "nado" part of the Sharknado until they talk about destroying the anomaly.

Honestly, I almost thought the implication with the Statue of Liberty was that the sharks had chewed her head off.

• Like 1

Long time listener, first time commenter.

This was a fun companion podcast to an otherwise boring, witless and desperate attempt at b-movie cult status. But then again I thought the first film was about as much fun as root canal work with a rusty hacksaw and no anesthetic, so I had no right to expect anything better.

Keep up the good work, June D, Zooks and Paul. I know for obvious reasons you can't churn out the podcasts with the same kind of frequency you did before, but HDTGM is still one of my faves. And hearing your new kid cooing and gurgling in the background? Fucking adorable.

• Like 1

Keep up the good work, June D, Zooks and Paul. I know for obvious reasons you can't churn out the podcasts with the same kind of frequency you did before, but HDTGM is still one of my faves. And hearing your new kid cooing and gurgling in the background? Fucking adorable.

They're actually back to the original schedule, thankfully.

On a related note, does anyone know if this is essentially just next week's episode released 4 days early, or if there will be a minisode on Tuesday?

They're actually back to the original schedule, thankfully.

On a related note, does anyone know if this is essentially just next week's episode released 4 days early, or if there will be a minisode on Tuesday?

Paul said there will be a minisode on Tues

• Like 2

Oh, and normally I'm the first one defending you guys talking over each other, but this episode was ridiculous. Not only could I barely hear the baby, you were constantly walking all over his punchlines! GET IT TOGETHER GUYS

• Like 8

Just to add on the fact that it made no sense that the sharks would get picked up by a tornado over land like the gang mentioned, but it didn't make sense that the plane would fly through the sharknado in the beginning at all! They were flying from LA to NY and according to the local meteorologist that is on the TV while Tara Reid is in the hospital the sharknado came from the south almost in the same track that Hurricane Sandy had taken. How in the hell did a flight from LA go through that storm!? And was that the only flight flying into JFK at the time? Did no other plane land or take off ever?! HOW WAS THAT THE ONLY PLANE TO GO THROUGH THAT STORM?!?!

All of us Zouks fangirls on tumblr are very upset by this

DEM CURLS...

i-miss-you_2654.gif

where is this zouks fangirl tumblr? can i please join?

CHOMPA CHOMPA CHOMPA :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 2

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS!

I heard Jason ask about the actor playing the guitar player in the subway scene. That was none other than Anthony C. Ferrante, director of the Sharknado franchise. He's credited on IMDb as "Guy with Guitar."

Having been face to face with the man, I recognized him almost instantly. He knows what kind of cheese I like. It's pepper jack, by the way.

Steve Moulton, conspiracy clerk, Sharknado.

• Like 2

Just rewatched it with some friends and noticed something about the book that Tara Reid's character wrote. In the airplace scene it's a small paperbacky book similar to the one Paul has in the picture. However, as we've discovered that was really a toshiba manual. Then later when Kelly is talking about Tara Reid's character and her book the one she holds up is like a giant hardcover!

• Like 1

Just rewatched it with some friends and noticed something about the book that Tara Reid's character wrote. In the airplace scene it's a small paperbacky book similar to the one Paul has in the picture. However, as we've discovered that was really a toshiba manual. Then later when Kelly is talking about Tara Reid's character and her book the one she holds up is like a giant hardcover!

Noticed that too, the paperback must have super tiny font, or I guess the hardcover could have senior citizen size font

I think the Statue of Liberty's severed head had a shark inside it.

It is rolling towards their car from the side (perpendicular to it). They drive straight, out of the path of said head. In the next shot it is rolling behind them, chasing them.

Conclusion: the head made a 90° turn to chase their car. Thee only way I can see that happening is a shark inside it, driving.

• Like 2

OMISSIONS

I'm surprised you guys didn't touch on the final sequences in the tower.

1. Why was the guy still working at the front desk of the building during this natural disaster when he tells the gang that everyone is gone... WHY WOULD HE STAY THERE IF IT WAS EVACUATED.

2. How could the water go up the stairwell as high as they were? Wouldn't that have to mean the water levels outside were at least was high as that level (and they were only one floor from the roof at the time)... I was very confused.

• Like 1