🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 90 — Sharknado 2: The Second One

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS

First in regards to the conversation that ended up with "swordfish" as the answer to what "shark" Paul was thinking of; what he may have actually had in mind was a sawtooth shark. A battle between a chainsaw and a sawtooth shark may have been both interesting and clever, which is most likely why it did not wind up in Sharknado 2.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThverwEajQZyqq31ZRLMFtKTfeLI6QehDW1vT9xLvyzUXaRpeR

Second, to clarify on Mark McGrath being excited about smashing through 42. 42 is a retired number across all of Major League Baseball in honor of Jackie Robinson, who was the first black player in MLB when he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. I assume McGrath was psyched because he loves destroying the symbol of a civil rights icon.

• Like 5

Great ep. So happy to have Scotty Auk on again. And hearing the baby in the background delighted me to no end. I kind of want June and Paul's son to be in every episode now.

• Like 1

In trying to find photos of Kelly Ripa's ankle tattoo I also found that she had or is in the process of having it removed, which would explain why it looks like a bruise.

You've been librarianed.

• Like 6

In regards to "progress bar dread", when I fast-forwarded through the commercials on my DVR, I didn't bother rewinding it in case I missed a couple of seconds after it came back from commercial. The movie was kind of enjoyably bad for the most part, but the whole "we're New Yorkers, we're tough" part was just stupid and dragged on for what seemed like forever. I felt very relieved to see my progress bar get closer to the end. Enjoyably bad, sure, but terribly watchable? Absolutely not.

I would have liked this movie about 10 times more if Mark McGrath had been eaten by a shark. I can somewhat tolerate Ian Zeiring but McGarth is possibly the most douchiest douche known to man. I felt disgusted every time he appeared on screen.

Okay, one correction

Kurt Angle is an Olympic Gold Medallist (Freestyle Wresting - Atlanta 1996), and actually won the Gold Medal with a broken neck. He then became a Pro Wrestler. He was also in Pain & Gain as a Prison inmate and Warrior as an undefeated Russian Olympic Gold Medallist.

He also made this:

• Like 1

Wait, was the Wipeout song that Ramones ripoff theme song? By chance, I looked it up.

Anthony C. Ferrante didn’t just direct Syfy’s Sharknado 2: The Second One: He also composed and sang on the TV movie’s theme song, “(The Ballad of) Sharknado.”

Ferrante had trouble getting rights to music for the Sharknado movies because of budgetary restraints, so he and his musically inclined friend Robbie Rist formed the band Quint for the sole purpose of creatingSharknado theme music. Quint’s not the first time the pair recorded songs together though; Ferrante and Rist compose the music for each of the director’s films.

“The joke is: Every movie we break up and then we reform as a new band, even though it’s just the two of us,” Ferrante tells EW. “So then for Sharknado, it was obvious we needed to call ourselves Quint in honor of the Robert Shaw character from Jaws.”

http://music-mix.ew....o-2-theme-song/

Brody. Quint. Why wasn't anything named after the real hero of Jaws: Mayor Larry Vaughn?

• Like 7

First in regards to the conversation that ended up with "swordfish" as the answer to what "shark" Paul was thinking of; what he may have actually had in mind was a sawtooth shark. A battle between a chainsaw and a sawtooth shark may have been both interesting and clever, which is most likely why it did not wind up in Sharknado 2.

https://encrypted-tb...vT9xLvyzUXaRpeR

Second, to clarify on Mark McGrath being excited about smashing through 42. 42 is a retired number across all of Major League Baseball in honor of Jackie Robinson, who was the first black player in MLB when he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. I assume McGrath was psyched because he loves destroying the symbol of a civil rights icon.

You said all the things that I was going to say, and I love you for it. There are sawfish and sawsharks, different species but both in the shark family. Don't let 'em hold you down Paul, you know what you're talking about sometimes!

I have not seen this one yet, but I'm assuming Tara does not still have a chainsaw hand at the end? If she does, I have a vision of her riding around on a sawfish in Sharknado 3: Sharks and Humans vs. Global Warming.

Just wanted to point out that the black lady with the terrible weave who can't ride a bike is Peppa, from Salt and Peppa fame. With her horrible Latoya Jackson nose job.

1. I think a lot of the confusion over Tara Reid's arm in the shark was that the prop arm was wayyyy more than was actually bitten off. The boyfriend's response, "They could've fixed that with a hacksaw!"

2. I don't understand the dynamic of Fin's old friends and him. "I can't believe he doesn't like me just because I got with his sister. What a douche! We got him a ticket to this game but he probably won't show! That's just like him. What an asshole! Fin's the WORST!" Why are they mad at him? Especially Judah Friedlander's character.

3. There's an amazing extra when they're running from the stadium to the subway. She's a little girl next to Fin and she's smiling her head off because she's having the most fun ever getting to run around screaming in a movie. She's having THE TIME OF HER LIFE and it's fantastic.

post-36049-0-67383100-1407090843_thumb.jpg

4. What happened to/where are Fin and Tara Reid's kids? Nova?

5. Apparently, they did crowd fund! http://www.today.com...950013#54950013

P.S. "Oh baby, you, you got all those teeth. You say they're just for krill, but I know you want to kill." -Biz Markie

• Like 6

1. Okay, so if we follow the crazy time line of this film they take an incredibly early flight to appear on "Live! Kelly and Michael" which airs live starting at 9AM to 10AM. We also see talk of the weather and the accident on the Today show which runs from 7AM to 10PM. On one of the weather updates we see in the films the times on it start at 10AM and go up hourly to 2PM I believe. So we can assume this movie is taking place between 9AM and 10AM. That fact all this takes place in such a short period of time is crazy but what is crazier is what professional baseball game ever starts at 9AM?

2. The whole Bales Tower scene. The building gets flooded up to the third floor and yet when they leave out the fire escape there is no water anywhere around the building. In addition flaming sharks are falling from the sky and somehow manage to get to the stairwell and travel down multiple flights of stairs after them. Also, what was with their bait and switch plan? When he went to get the axe the shark wasn't even there and Mark McGrath calls the shark over thus putting him and Ian Zierings lives in danger needlessly.

• Like 1

Also, Paul needs to get Jason and Hot Saucerman to put a phone call into their friend Hot Dog to shine a light on the surfing angle of these movies.

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS!

Love this episode!

You guys missed one of the best things about Tara Reid's signature -- she's actually signing a random page in what looks to be a Samsung Tablet instructional manual.

I tried to get a good picture. I hope you can see it!

Thanks for a hilarious episode!sharknado.jpg

• Like 12

I also noticed that conversation between the maintenance workers (about the missing gloves leading the other to ask "what are you, afraid of the dark?"

I also loved how people responded to things in really weird ways. Like the kid says "the bales tower hotel is the second tallest hotel in North America" (or something like that) and fin just says "exactly". Another favourite line of mine is the kid talking about his boarding school (further proof they love in or near NYC): "it's built like a brick prison".

When you make it: Sharknado 3: Sharks vs. Jets

You mean "West Side GORY!!"

• Like 3

I think they mentioned in the movie that the emergency crash landing of their plane happened at 7:30, and they're supposed to be on Live! With Kelly and Michael at 9. That seems to be cutting it a little close to me, but whatever. The real issue is that, based on the fact that we're seeing clips from live television throughout the movie, the bulk of the action takes place between 9 and 10 A.M.!

I'm guessing Live with Kelly and Michael is actually on, and Matt Lauer and Al Roker are breaking in to give updates about the sharknados, since at the end Matt says, "We now return to your regularly scheduled program." But they're still taping Kelly and Michael at the end when she stabs the shark with her shoe, so this entire movie, including the various ferries the girls take to and from the Satue of Liberty, the baseball game, and all the traveling around the city takes place in under an hour, and before 10 A.M.

Also, Paul needs to get Jason and Hot Saucerman to put a phone call into their friend Hot Dog to shine a light on the surfing angle of these movies.

Hot Dog is a water-skier, man! If you want someone who can offer a surfing angle then you would need someone who surfs, like Hamburger.

• Like 7

What bugged me was the scene where Tara Reid was helping the girl out of the hospital. In the scene she asks the girl to "take her hand", and because her left hand was eaten by the shark earlier, it had to be her right hand. That's all perfectly logical.

HOWEVER! The entire time she leads the girl out of the hospital, Tara is standing on the right side of the girl, meaning that while they're running, she has to reach across her body to keep holding the girl's hand. They get so tied up, you can actually see both of them stumbling and tripping over each other as they're running.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Tara's character to just be on the left side of the girl? At least that way when they run, their shoulders won't have to be constantly bumping into each other

Q & A

Paul,

Forget brown paper packages wrapped up with string, what are a few of my favorite things??

Regarding the arm situation, when he said "she won't be needing this anymore" it seemed to be in regard to the shark, as in she won't be needing this as food anymore. The amount chewed off is just another example of bad design and prop work by this movie.

Also when Tara Reid went in to get her plastic surgery do you think she said "make me look like the jenna jameson of today?"

I'm a little "sharked" that y'all did not address the fact that Mark McGrath and Kari Wuhrer's characters' names were Martin Brody and Ellen Brody. These names might sound familiar because they're Roy Schneider and Ellaine Gary's characters' names from Jaws.

Honestly, how much can some fake blood and cheap plastic shark models cost? The better question is how much MORE can it cost than bad CGI? For god's sake, they couldn't even afford real WATER. Fill up a couple coolers with water to dump during the indoor flooding scenes.

And why is it in airplane scenes, the principal characters are always on the left side aisle (Airplane!, Terror at 20,000 Feet, Airport, Home Alone, Cheers season finale, etc.)?