🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 90 — Sharknado 2: The Second One

Okay, but, are we in agreeance that number 4 would be "Sharknado in Space". Where, this time, the human race has to create a Sharknado to block an asteroid hitting the earth?

Then, Ian Ziering has to fly through the Sharknado, with Tara Reid in tow, using her buzzsaw hand to cut through the asteroid before it hits earth.

A solar wind Sharknado -- For some reason.

OMISSIONS

I'm surprised you guys didn't touch on the final sequences in the tower.

1. Why was the guy still working at the front desk of the building during this natural disaster when he tells the gang that everyone is gone... WHY WOULD HE STAY THERE IF IT WAS EVACUATED.

Oh man, I really wanted to talk about that guy. He's featured kind of prominently in several scenes and he's SO fidgety but he seems more concerned that people are in the lobby than the fact that the streets are apparently flooded & filled with sharks.

• Like 1

A solar wind Sharknado -- For some reason.

I think we've just written Sharknado 4.

when tara reid was in the hospital she said "the shark kept chasing me and had a huge scar across its face and i shot it in the eye but it took my hand .. its like he knew who i was"

it you look at the shark the hand was taken out of (still was taken as it was falling towards ian ziering, before ried cut it with her saw hand (never thought id type anything that bonkers)) you can see a massive scar on its eye.

IMAG0175.jpg

• Like 1

Brody. Quint. Why wasn't anything named after the real hero of Jaws: Mayor Larry Vaughn?

The son was named Vaughn.

Also, at least when Regis was on the show, they used to tape the show then also tape more interviews for later shows. That's why sometimes you'd notice that Kelly would be wearing different outfits in the opening and the interviews.

Edited to also add: Tara Reid's book was about how to survive a sharknado, so I think that's why Fin knew exactly what to do.

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS

Tara Reid's acting: the only thing worse than her handwriting was her screaming while hanging off the plane, which sounded like the "aah" noise you make when the doctor checks your tonsils, and her "PTSD" face from when she sees her first shark at the hospital.

Speaking of which, in another "hero" moment, she tells the 10 year old (played by the 18 year old) "I'm going to save you".

I know this movie didn't do a ton of physics research, but a Richard Kind hits a home run with a gigantic, hundres-of-pounds shark that is coming at him at incredibly high speeds. Now he can start eating at the VIP lounge! Speaking of which, why doesn't Fin say "the Mets game" when getting in Judd Hirsch's taxi? Judah Friendlander definitely says "don't mess with a Mets fan on the 7 train" so I don't get why they didn't clarify. Citi clearly did not want their name mentioned but since there are two MLB teams in NYC it's really strange to get in a cab and say "take me to the ballpark". "Take me to that pizza place!"

Another dumb "homage" was Fin eating the pizza at the end of the movie. I think they were capitalizing on the post-credits scenes from the Marvel movies (namely The Avengers) but instead, this was right before the credits raced by at light speed to hide everyone's shame from being involved with this movie.

Did anyone else want to see Michael Strahan rip a shark apart with his bare hands? He just caught the thing and we never see him again.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that anyone mentioned it, but I think Ian Zeiring ended up RIGHT back where he started at the end from where he was before getting sucked up into the Sharknado, didn't he? The roof of the Empire State Building?

Also, Al and Matt were the best actors in the movie, no doubt. Too bad there was no budget for extras, because it would have been a great gag to have all the people standing outside of the Today Show studio getting attacked by sharks (or more likely appearing to have no clue that three sharknadoes are ripping through town) while Al and Matt continuously give is the weather.

Correction and Omission:

At about the 43:00 minute mark, there is a scene with a religious zealot preaching about the end times and urging sinners to repent. He says something like "The wrath of God will bring the hammer down," and is then promptly smashed by a falling shark. WHY WAS THIS NOT A HAMMERHEAD SHARK?! This was a huge missed opportunity in the film.

Great podcast, actually made watching Sharknado2 worthwhile.

• Like 2

Clearly, Sharknado 3 is going to need an awesome subtitle. I'm thinking Sharknado 3: Sharknado Alley.

Basically a Sharknado hits Texas, where even the sharknado's are bigger. It would have to have a cameo from Ted Nugent, and maybe some 'biting' social commentary about border control. It would also demand a scene where a cowboy rides a shark, like a bucking bronco, through the air.

Then we can go, Sharknado 4: Sharknado's Down Under. A sharknado, filled exclusively with Great Whites battles it out with the first ever Crocnado. Cameos from Paul Hogan, Yahoo Serious, and Bindy Irwin.

• Like 1

Then we can go, Sharknado 4: Sharknado's Down Under. A sharknado, filled exclusively with Great Whites battles it out with the first ever Crocnado. Cameos from Paul Hogan, Yahoo Serious, and Bindy Irwin.

In Australia, the Sharknadoes spin in the OPPOSITE direction. It's science.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this but, in the beginning of the movie on the airplane there is an old couple sitting behind Ian (a grey haired woman directly behind him, and an older man directly behind Tara). On ALL of the exterior plane shots you suddenly see the old couple reversed. I'm not sure why, but this bugged the shit out of me, and I wasn't even 30 seconds through the movie.

If you told me that everyone in this movie won a contest to be in a movie, I would say, Yes, that seems about right. (And that includes the "cameos". And the starring roles...)

If you told me that everyone in this movie won a contest to be in a movie, I would say, Yes, that seems about right. (And that includes the "cameos". And the starring roles...)

... Except the Wheatons. The movie actually won a contest to have them in it -- For some reason.

• Like 2

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS

re: shark respiration in and out of the water

wow have I done too much research on shark breathing today.

essentially, gilled fish take in oxygen-rich water and run it through their gills, which are made of very small, fine filaments. through capillary action, the oxygen-poor/carbon dioxide-rich blood exchanges CO2 for oxygen, becoming oxygenated and moving through the rest

of the body. This is analogous to the mechanism of breathing in humans, where oxygen rich air is taken into the lungs, which are made of tiny alveoli through which deoxygenated blood is pumped; in the capillaries of the alveoli, the same CO2/oxygen exchanges occur.

Anyhow! Sharks have a constant stream of oxygen rich water flowing through their gills - to try to remove oxygen from the water vapor in the air of the sharknado would be like us trying to breathe in an environment with next to no available air - it might be there, but certainly not enough for one to survive. It's otter nonsense.

long story short fucking duh sharks can't live in the AIR

So now that Paul finally had the baby is there going to be a new logo for the show?

get it?

So much yelling and cursing in front of a small baby. :o

So, here's what I want: Paul, June, and Jason writing Sharknado 3: Yup, again...scored completely by Koch Blockerman and Bobby McFerrin doing 60's surf rock covers. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I would also very much like Aukerman and McFerrin's supergroup to be called Scat-illogical.

I am open to other movie titles or alternate names for the Aukerman/McFerrin combo....

Richard Kind's story about his dad said that he sat in a specific seat 20 years ago.

Citifield opened in 2009.

Was Richard Kind's dad sitting in Shea Stadium? Or just the field that existed before?

• Like 4

The concept of different "movie universes" that Scott brought up is one of my favourite tropes: the "Celebrity Paradox". For example, in the Batman movies, Batman and other DC comics presumably do not exist. Or in the Harry Potter, all those actors from Alan Rickman to Helena Bonham Carter to David Tennant don't exist either. What's fun is when complications arise out of references being made to films that should not exist in those universes. For example, In White House Down, tour guide Donnie makes reference to the White House being destroyed in Independence Day - which was directed by White House Down helmer Roland Emmerich. Or in Fanboys, a movie in which the Star Wars franchise is central to the plot, Star Wars actors show up in cameos as different characters: Carrie Fisher as a doctor, Billy Dee Williams as Judge Reinhold, and Ray Park as a security guard.

Also, there is a shark with a toothed "snout", the sawshark. It's already been mentioned earlier on in this thread but here's a picture:

8584969_orig.jpg

Richard Kind's story about his dad said that he sat in a specific seat 20 years ago.

Citifield opened in 2009.

Was Richard Kind's dad sitting in Shea Stadium? Or just the field that existed before?

Such a great point that I didn't consider for half a second

Here's another thing I had a problem with: What kind of force was causing Lady Liberty's head to roll at a steady high speed forever? It wasn't into a tornado, it was just rolling around the streets of New York and would be doing it forever if it hadn't smashed into a building. There's no way a it could gain that kind of momentum, it's not even round, it's a giant, concrete, spiky thing, it'd fall on the ground and roll a few meters and that's it.

Possible omission...Does anyone else think that Vivica A. Fox used a stunt double when the group was running up the subway stairs?

The concept of different "movie universes" that Scott brought up is one of my favourite tropes: the "Celebrity Paradox". For example, in the Batman movies, Batman and other DC comics presumably do not exist. Or in the Harry Potter, all those actors from Alan Rickman to Helena Bonham Carter to David Tennant don't exist either. What's fun is when complications arise out of references being made to films that should not exist in those universes. For example, In White House Down, tour guide Donnie makes reference to the White House being destroyed in Independence Day - which was directed by White House Down helmer Roland Emmerich. Or in Fanboys, a movie in which the Star Wars franchise is central to the plot, Star Wars actors show up in cameos as different characters: Carrie Fisher as a doctor, Billy Dee Williams as Judge Reinhold, and Ray Park as a security guard.

I've brought this sort of thing up before, and while it would make sense for certain films to be interconnected or exist in the same universe (like if the President was the same guy in every Michael Bay movie or something), I'd be more interested in ones that SHOULDN'T be. For instance, what if in some R-rated adult-oriented action flick, someone's flipping through radio stations, and they come across a song by the most popular musical group in the land that just happens to be a bunch of anthropomorphic chipmunks that perform nothing but covers of already-popular songs, and NO ONE FINDS IT THE LEAST BIT UNUSUAL?