🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
seanotron

Guardians of the Galaxy

It's a hard sell in that even female comic fans are saying they want mainly male oriented stories, causing this huge split between the ones who say they like the eye candy, those that are pure comic fans, and those that are feminist who feel there should be women put into every level of the comic business, even if there is no women currently working towards those positions. Yes it is 44% women who went to Guardians, but how any movie company sees that is that there was still 56% men going or that women were going because the film seemed more comedic in comparison to prior Marvel films. They will look for any reason to downplay it, sort of like how studio math still says that Back to the Future didn't bring in a profit so that they don't have to pay the stars as much on the back end.

Plus Agent Carter can be a good show, but they played it smart because they weren't sure if a movie could sell based on the love interest of Captain America. Similar to how they are doing the same for Daredevil after the debacle that was the Affleck film, it costs less and there is less damage if it fails. The other thing is with writing a female oriented story, you have a whole can of worms that comes with any comic movie, but on a scale studios may not want to touch.

After the New 52 female writer controversy and the recent controversy over Wonder Woman's soon to be new writer, comic fans or industry people will look at it primarily one of two ways: a man writing a female character doesn't understand the nuances of a female character as has been the argument of many male writers today or a female writer writing on female characters will be crucified for solely being a woman as there are many fanboys who are misogynistic.

Studios also use past evidence of Elektra, Catwoman, Supergirl, and other big flops for female superhero movies as proof as to why they will wait until the last feasible choice to make another female character movie. Fortunately, the rate at which Marvel is creating movies, they will have to make one, maybe within a couple years or less, but it will be under some of the biggest scrutiny. I mean there were screams of horror online for Wonder Woman's outfit, which I actually like, so just imagine what it will be like for a full on movie.

I can't believe no-one has talked about the post-credits sequence of Guardians of the Galaxy!!!

I don't want to give anything away but a certain feathered Marvel character makes an unexpected appearance!

I can't believe no-one has talked about the post-credits sequence of Guardians of the Galaxy!!!

I don't want to give anything away but a certain feathered Marvel character makes an unexpected appearance!

I loved it. Especially since I think it was basically an April Fool's joke Marvel was playing on us.

I mean there were screams of horror online for Wonder Woman's outfit, which I actually like, so just imagine what it will be like for a full on movie.

I get why people have issues with it. It is basically Xena's outfit and is not recognizable as WW in any way. But maybe it will work in the movie. Synder just seems afraid of primary colors.

I loved it. Especially since I think it was basically an April Fool's joke Marvel was playing on us.

Like I said before, man. BALLS. Well, not that it takes balls to put him in a stinger at the end, but to even acknowledge him in a film at all. If you think about it though, this is Marvel coming full circle and closing a door (and maybe opening a new one) on their disastrous attempt to break their characters into movies three decades ago. Now they're all "What? We can do WHATEVER the fuck we want now".

Yeah, I've heard speculation that it will lead to something in future movies, but I'm 95% sure it's just a complete goof.

I mentioned it in my first post in this thread and how the show really needs to push for a remake to be made. And I believe there was an article with James Gunn stating that it was just for laughs and that there wasn't anything really behind it, though I do feel that Seth Green is perfect for that character.

• Like 1

I thought Seth Green was/would be perfect as the legendary Duck as well. It's indicative of how good this movie is; it makes the best possible choice at every turn, even when presented a seemingly impossible set of roadblocks. A talking tree with a three word vocabulary? Sure. A bipolar raccoon with a penchant for destruction, one-liners, AND self-doubt? Why not? David Bautista providing comic relief? Yes, we can do that for you. If James Gunn wrote, directed, or even just produced a Howard the Duck movie, I would sure as shit pay for a ticket.

• Like 1

I wonder though how that would alter his business relationship with DC as both have been working closely together for some of Robot Chicken's specials.

I mentioned it in my first post in this thread and how the show really needs to push for a remake to be made. And I believe there was an article with James Gunn stating that it was just for laughs and that there wasn't anything really behind it, though I do feel that Seth Green is perfect for that character.

So you did, sorry man! Didn't even realise it was Seth Green so your subtlety went way over my head.

Blindly hoping Howard returns as a villain in Age of Ultron and attempts to kill George Lucas only to be captured and locked away forever in a crate in a huge warehouse forever....?

Blindly hoping Howard returns as a villain in Age of Ultron and attempts to kill George Lucas only to be captured and locked away forever in a crate in a huge warehouse forever....?

Now there would have been an Easter egg I would have loved to see in Crystal Skulls where not only is the Ark of the Covenant revealed in the opening scene but also a box or something listing a Howard D. or H. Duck. Would have made that movie instantly less shitty but still pretty shitty.

Well if you think DC doesn't have something to match GotG, they have Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. Morrison began working at DC with the understanding that he wanted his own 'team' that he could do whatever he wanted with. They settled for the twice executed Doom Patrol, and Morrison literally did WHATEVER he wanted with this 'team'. They have tried to revive the comic several times since his run, but nobody can match the hilariously horrific cosmic insanity of Morrison's...plus he got kinda pissy and killed off all the characters when his run was terminated for more pressing DC projects...making revival difficult to say the least.

Sign in to follow this