🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 167 — Personality

Today’s Professor Blastoff episode is inconceivable! The gang starts off the show by discussing their feelings on marriage and comedian Julia Farrell joins to have a discussion about personality, Myers Briggs, killing puppies, communication, introversion vs. extroversion, and much more. Tune in for an introspective look into the brains of your favorite podcast hosts.

Agreed. Her speaking voice is yelling, and she keeps talking over the hosts to jam her points in.

Ohmygosh, LOVED when she yelled/said "Am I not close enough to the mic?" Oh boy.

• Like 1

The guest was perfectly fine and wasn't yelling, I'm not sure what the people above me are complaining about. If anything she was great and fit into the show's groove well.

Is doing Inconcievable! the next topshelfthoughts?

• Like 2

Hep! PERSONALITY!

i want a 10 min audio loop of Kyle and David saying "AHHHH thats david right!?...Im a total punk rocker!..uhh what dont wanna break the rules oohwuuuuu!"

couldn't stop laughing this episode!

• Like 1

"AHHHH thats david right!?...Im a total punk rocker!..uhh what dont wanna break the rules oohwuuuuu!"

can we get a drop of that?

• Like 1

i'm gonna have to agree that parts of this episode were a tiny bit annoying -- mainly because Julia Farrell comes across as young (and maybe a tiny bit naive) the conversation occasionally veers toward one you might have late at night in your freshman dorm room... which is fine, but i come to expect a more mature tone from these three (but not too mature, mind you).

to their credit, tho, kyle, david, and tig conversed with her well. they took her seriously and were patient.

in fact, i think this episode was really about looking for emotional growth, rather than "what type of personality am i?"

i really like how david pointed out that judging people by their myers-briggs type is similar to judging them from where they're from (i.e., from the south), and he sort of gently points out how hypocritical Julia was being by using the test to judge people, while at the same time complaining about being judged for being from texas.

despite all of those negative things i said above (or perhaps because of them), it was still an enjoyable episode.

• Like 3

I COULD NOT STOP laughing at Tig doing "Inconceivable!"

I agree that Julia was way too loud, but I thought it was a really good discussion.

• Like 2

Oh, also, it was really weird/funny that this was the second day in a row with an Earwolf show where someone rubbed their hands or feet together right into the mic.

• Like 1

Agreed. Her speaking voice is yelling, and she keeps talking over the hosts to jam her points in.

Ohmygosh, LOVED when she yelled/said "Am I not close enough to the mic?" Oh boy.

kelindadouglass is totally a J right guys? Oh my god stop being such a J right now.

kelindadouglass is totally a J right guys? Oh my god stop being such a J right now.

That reminds me, I loved the "P on your parade"/"J on your parade" exchange, because there's a totally innocent version of it that's befitting a Christian Podcast, and a totally gross version.

• Like 2

I COULD NOT STOP laughing at Tig doing "Inconceivable!"

can't take credit for the photo, but this is what I imagine Tig's "weird genius baby" to look like.

tROjzaq.jpg

• Like 3

For the record, I love the show. Just thought the guest was not used to the give and take atmosphere of a podcast.

If you want to call me names, okay. That just means you care about your point of view and I respect that.

i do not think it was namecalling but i think the person whose username is a reference to the show and whose signature is a reference to the show was just making a post that was a reference to the show but everyone should know: im dumb as all hell and not good at posting

• Like 1

Ok. Well I am new to listening to this particular show on Earwolf. I guess that went over my head. Enjoy the boards everyone. Goodbye forever.

the posters on this show's forum are nice so i did not mean to be mean if i came off that way

i wish the guest would speak up. Engineer cody Brett can i get some more Julia in my cans?

There's enough irrational hatred for the guest floating around on the forum to make me think some of Marc Maron's closed forum members found their way over here.

I'll start off this with a caveat: of course, I'm biased because I'm training to be a mental health professional in grad school but the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is an assessment tool.  Like any other assessment tool, it's shaped to give an objective framework that is otherwise layered with subjective experiences.  Each question was honed to bring out the probability of your own personality trait being a more dominant one amidst thousands of traits.  I understand that Julia received her education in undergrad and I don't know how much assessment training she received.  It, however, was difficult to listen to this podcast without cringing at the inferences without sources or at the idea of offering one question to sum up a potential black-and-white personality trait of the hosts.

I know this isn't a true science podcast and I appreciated that the topic of the MBTI became an opportunity to be introspective.  Still, psychology is a often-misaligned field of the "soft" sciences and I wonder how much good came from this podcast with the superficial consideration of the makers' intentions (besides the hilarious "INCONCEIVABLE!").

• Like 1

I totally agree minjujube! I used to be interested in the MBTI and I read 'Gifts Differing' etc. So I share your frustration in listening to the guest talk about 'perfect personalities' and guessing preferences based on superficial impressions.

I know that the MBTI itself isn't particularly scientifically credible (I think I read that only the E/I preference is), but it's still a valuable model. I was waiting for her to explain its usefulness, and even the auxiliary functions, but I'm tempted to assume that she doesn't understand the model to that depth. A shame. You should be a guest.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. The guest comes across as a totally idiotic brat. Never want to hear from her again.

This podcast seems to be losing steam.