🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hotdingus

Case Open on Curling

I've grown up in Canada, I've played curling my whole life. It was my sport growing up, I was on my high school curling team, it was always fun for me. I still enjoy the sport, I'm on a team and I watch it on TV when ever I can.

I've also been a fan of comedy for as long as I can remember, so I think I've heard every hacky curling bit any comedians ever put out there. I don't know why, but I expected more of the improv4humans crew in episode #115 when they were given curling as a 1 word suggestion. I figured comedians of the UCB pedigree would go beyond the obvious ridiculousness of the brooms and try to do something more with the curling concepts, but they didn't. It was disappointing but I didn't let it bother me until I heard the skit again in the best of vol 5 episode.

The case I'm making here is that most Americans know curling as that goofy Canadian sport with the brooms, but why?, There knowledge stops there and it shouldn't. America has a curling institution and it's not hard to follow the sport, they broadcast it once every 4 years during the Olympics, And once you "get it" it's fun to watch. The people who play the sport on TV are professional and it's not an easy game to play. The top curlers are the essentially the combination of a chessmaster and a poolshark only on ice.

That's my case, it's fine to joke about curling but don't forget to watch it.

I kept it short here, but if anyone's interested I'll talk more about curling, just respond in the thread

Sign in to follow this