🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 146 — Fleeces & Jesus with Chris Farren

Colton Dunn, Pamela Murphy, and Alex Fernie are here along with special musical guest Chris Farren of Fake Problems for a musical edition of improv4humans with Matt Besser! Chris treats us by playing some songs which serve as inspiration for improvised scenes about a member of a band who only sits back & gets high, giving that special someone a gift that really benefits yourself, a store that specializes in “Fleeces & Jesus,” and much more! Humans of San Francisco, improv4humans with Matt Besser will be LIVE at San Francisco’s Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival on Saturday, August 9th at 2pm with special guests Chris Gethard, Lauren Lapkus, and Seth Morris! Be sure to watch many of the stars of improv4humans on the new Hulu series called Hotwives of Orlando. This is some funny shit and it’s available now. Make sure to get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Fake Problems’ music over at www.fakeproblems.com.

Nice. Just a few hours ago I listened to the recent Todd Glass Show that Chris was on. Good songs and a funny guy too. This should be a good episode.

Hilarious! When Colton Dunn asked Besser to read the letter as a Casey Kasem and he paused and said..."What's that?"...jesus christ I busted up uncontrollably. Normally, awesome, I laugh at this podcast on the regular. But I'm at work, in an office, using headphones, and everyone just looked at me like I lost my mind. But that probable happens every day as I'm usually listening to Improv 4 Humans here daily.

My band could use a guy that just sits back and gets high btw, thanks for the idea!

createtildeath.com

These bands I4H keeps having are terrible. They aren't bands, actually. They're just these pedro the lion douchebags one after the other. Really steps on the flow of the show and seems like a pointless addition.

Harsh frostedbutts, but I see your point. A podcast isn't the best format for an epic 6 piece band though, so that explains the smaller singer/songwriter types. But ultimately, I think it's just another way to spark the improv, like twitter suggestions or crap on YouTube. It's just a new fresh way to inspire the scenes.

• Like 3

P-Dawg!!! (P-dawg is Pam?)

love her so

• Like 3

@frostedbutts 4 posts on these boards. All complaints. 3 complaining about musical guests. 2 comparisons to Pedro the Lion. What's your deal? Lazy trolling? Passionate hatred for anything that reminds you of Pedro the Lion? What did Pedro the Lion do to you?

• Like 9

These bands I4H keeps having are terrible. They aren't bands, actually. They're just these pedro the lion douchebags one after the other. Really steps on the flow of the show and seems like a pointless addition.

well I like them, so I canceled out your opinion forever. and bazan was one of my favorites, so double cancel.

• Like 8

Just came to agree with everyone except for frostedbutts. I like Matt's taste, Colton Dunn is one of my favorites on this show, oh yeah and Pam Murphy kills

• Like 3

I really liked Chris Farren, I never heard of him bebore. I'm trying to cut out his first song, the acoustic version of eagle eyes, really beautifull!!

I thought david bazan was great too, Improv4Humans introduced me to him aswell.

Every single comment you have on here is negative, every one. Don't you have better things to do than bitch about a free podcast? The music isn't always my style per se but I always enjoy it and it adds a different element to the show and they usually get some great bits from it.

• Like 1

Guys, give Mr. Butts a break, he's absolutely right - this wasn't a band, actually, it was a solo singer-songwriter.

Fantastic episode.

• Like 1

Fernie's twist by going bland and 'wanting to work at the orchard supply store'; and then ultimately not getting a job there was really great.

Good callbacks about the attempted murder throughout.

• Like 1

HAVIN' SEX WITH A MUTANT HUMAN,

IT'S SPLICE!

• Like 1

I lived in Naples until I was 21, and it's always weird hearing it namechecked in the real world. For a tropical paradise, it's a real shithole.

• Like 1

I like music, I like comedy.

But I have to say that I find myself skipping through the musical guest here.

Artists I like as well, and I know it's another way to spark improv- I can appreciate the cleverness but I find it to be a gear change

I don't enjoy here.

I have a similar experience when a stand up opens for a live band.

Two great tastes that for me don't taste great together.

I like music, I like comedy.

But I have to say that I find myself skipping through the musical guest here.

Artists I like as well, and I know it's another way to spark improv- I can appreciate the cleverness but I find it to be a gear change

I don't enjoy here.

I have a similar experience when a stand up opens for a live band.

Two great tastes that for me don't taste great together.

Lucky for you, this is a podcast, and not a live band, so you have the option of fast forwarding if you don't like it. Your opinion is noted. Now can everyone stop whining about the music you don't like on the free podcasts you listen to?

• Like 1

I've really liked the musical guests and the music shows but the one nitpick thing about this episode is I wish they would have talked about the meaning behind the song instead of jumping into a scene right after the song was over. I think it's because I'm not great at following lyrics closely in a song.

• Like 1

Yeah, they usually do that, and I agree that it helps the scenes (and is usually just interesting). I'd guess that here, they had a clear enough picture based on the lyrics to just dive in most of the time.

Lucky for you, this is a podcast, and not a live band, so you have the option of fast forwarding if you don't like it. Your opinion is noted. Now can everyone stop whining about the music you don't like on the free podcasts you listen to?

Sorry you don't enjoy my opinion. But to call it whining is like reverse trolling. I expressed an opinion I backed it up and I balanced it with positive remarks. Isn't that what creators are always 'whining' about that never happens on the 'internet' ?

No what you want is everyone to agree and like Exactly what You like.

Oh and if you think this podcast is free maybe you should look into how advertising works.

I appreciate all the work that goes into making this but whether or not I contracted a person directly to carve this podcast out of granite I still have the right to an opinion about it.

Its called having an audience.

To Matt Besser:

You, sir, are a pretentious asshole.

I love listening to improv4humans, I watched the UCB TV show when growing up, I have seen a few live shows in New York, and I own the UCB Comedy Improvisation Manual.

That being said, in the last year you have come off as a real pretentious asshole. You have proclaimed yourself as the judge, jury, and executioner of what is improv. I know that you are a major reason why improv and improv comedians/actors are so prevalent today, but who are you to judge what other people do and say it isn't improv? You wrote the manual, but did you define the term? Just because you think that things like Whose Line are lowest common denominator doesn't mean they aren't funny to someone. And who is to say that someone won't see something like that and be inspired to try improv for themselves? What you are doing is discouraging people, mostly your fans, from expanding their horizons and turning them into an army of trolls.

Most case closed segments seem to be you have already stated your opinion, but you would like to rub it in someone's face. It was pretty funny when the right-wing political guy wouldn't at least talk to you on the show, but could you blame him? Other segments have been you just shitting on someone while you "listen" to their point of view.

And in this most recent episode, #146, you are doing a plug for other shows on the Earwolf Network and you call them out as being phonies. You've done this before and you just sound like a high school dropout mad that his friends who went to college have left him behind. Wallowing in your life that could have been, surrounding yourself with people who will praise at the alter that is "Matty B, the godfather of improv."

This is a comedy podcast and you are a comedian, so it could be said that this is all an act. A character of some douchey guy who takes himself way too seriously and likes to push people's buttons. But this character is tired. Calling people out on their bullshit is what the world needs, but then not being the bigger person and accepting when someone does it to you shows just how much of a pretentious asshole you are.

In regards to bands...I can understand the criticisms of why bands give the show a different pace but I'm okay with that every once in a while.

In regards to analyzing lyrics...yes I like to talk about them too but that seems to lengthen the time between scenes even more so if a lyric is really sticking out I guess we feel it is fair game to start a scene.

In regards to me being a pretentious asshole. I was obviously kidding about other hosts being phonies. As far as short form goes I fucking hate it. What can I say? That's my opinion. I've expressed it.

And yeah my anger is kind of a character. I'm not really as mad about some of these topics as I portray in the podcast. I'm amping it up for the performance and for the sake of inspiring a source for the improv. If you think it's tired, then yes I guess you are tired of me.

Who am I not responding to on Case Closed? You lost me there.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this