🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Savannah Nix

Episode 60 — Scott Aukerman, Co-Founder of Earwolf

Scott Aukerman of Comedy Bang! Bang! fame and Earwolf co-founder joins Jeff to discuss a big change: Jeff is moving out of his role as Earwolf and Midroll Media CEO to become Chairman of the company. They talk about the early days of Earwolf, and some of the challenges of being a boss, whether it's running a television show or a podcast network. Of course, they also talk about why Jeff is making this change, and why it's a good thing for the company.

Really interesting conversation, and a nice look at how the bread is made.TM

Also, always great to hear Scott in a fairly straight conversation still managing to slip little Aukerisms in here and there.

• Like 7

Did I hear correctly? In talks to sign someone up with Earwolf for 1,000,000? I had no idea there was money like that floating around the podcasting world.... Great episode, as usual!

• Like 1

Jeff, listening to you and Scott describe all of the issues that cause you stress started stressing me out, because I'm usually the person responsible for keeping those issues from escalating to the CEO. Is Earwolf looking for a Program Manager? ;)

Great episode! I wonder what (if any) impact this has on the TV production side of Earwolf, or if that's even an ongoing concern.

• Like 1

Did I hear correctly? In talks to sign someone up with Earwolf for 1,000,000? I had no idea there was money like that floating around the podcasting world.... Great episode, as usual!

Well, not exactly. He was talking about Midroll, not Earwolf. I guess that's still money in the podcast world, but it seems like that million dollars could mean a lot of things.

• Like 1

i'm still at minute fifteen, but i'm already exited. the way i'm hearing scott and jeff talk,.

It sounds like Matt Gourley is getting more involved with creating earwolf podcasts.

They were talking about a new podcast which i don't think has premiered yet.

I love it!!

• Like 2

Sounds a little like something we see here in the lumber mill, when somebody cares too much. Caring is not a negative thing, it's the "too" that will take the toll.

Thank you Jeff, and thanks Earwolf for keeping a bunch of us here in the mill sane.

• Like 1

It's a little ironic that the episode on SoundCloud breaks around 15 minutes in. The download works fine, though.

• Like 1

Really interesting conversation, and a nice look at how the bread is made.TM

Also, always great to hear Scott in a fairly straight conversation still managing to slip little Aukerisms in here and there.

Every conversation with Scott contains Aukerisms.

• Like 1

Jeff, listening to you and Scott describe all of the issues that cause you stress started stressing me out, because I'm usually the person responsible for keeping those issues from escalating to the CEO. Is Earwolf looking for a Program Manager? ;)

Great episode! I wonder what (if any) impact this has on the TV production side of Earwolf, or if that's even an ongoing concern.

The TV side is alive and doing very, very well. That is not something I am involved with, that is a Scott and Dave thing. And they are killing it.

Wow, what a really great show. I hadn't listened to any Wolf Den episodes yet, but I think I might go back and listen to some of these from the beginning. I love behind the scenes type stuff, and I've been curious about how Earwolf works. From listening to the shows (especially looser ones like U Talkin' U2 to Me and Analyze Phish) you can get the feeling that the network is a bunch of comedian buddies just hanging out and goofing off. It was pretty cool to see Scott Aukerman more or less straight faced talking to Jeff Ullrich about Earwolf not just as a company, but as a successful company that everyone involved is proud of.

So to Mr. Ullrich, thanks so much for making the Network that hosts all of my favorite podcasts. I've spent so much time (probably too much ha) listening to your guys' shows and it sounds like your dedication really helped get the network off the ground. Good luck moving forward!

• Like 3

I want to also say thank you for this episode. When I heard Jeff was stepping down, uh, I mean, "aside" I have to admit I was worried. Because I know how important his personal involvement was to Earwolf. So I started wondering if this was some sort of fracture within the company, because based on what his role had been in the beginning it seemed unlikely that Jeff would step aside for anything unless there was something huge preventing him from doing it. Of course I now know that things had changed within the company so that Jeff's constant personal involvement was no longer necessary.

But it is good to hear about why this change is happening, and that this is a change that has good reason to have happened. Of course you never know what will happen when a new person takes over but at least I can see that the people involved are still dedicated to the Earwolf network's original vision. And I feel more optimistic.

PS Scott was spot on about people not being happy when U Talkin' U2 to Me ended and we had our fix taken away. It almost feels like a dark cloud descended on a Wednesday, ha ha. I say that not to make anyone feel guilty but to say that I REALLY loved the podcast and even if it's not a regular thing I hope that the Scotts keep coming back to it indefinitely. And it has made me love the Earwolf network even more. It sucked losing that as a weekly thing to look forward to but I knew that eventually this day would come. And I'm looking forward so much to see what the future holds.

Well, not exactly. He was talking about Midroll, not Earwolf. I guess that's still money in the podcast world, but it seems like that million dollars could mean a lot of things.

I was talking about Midroll. The deal closed but hasn't been announced yet.

i'm still at minute fifteen, but i'm already exited. the way i'm hearing scott and jeff talk,.

It sounds like Matt Gourley is getting more involved with creating earwolf podcasts.

They were talking about a new podcast which i don't think has premiered yet.

I love it!!

Yes, Matt has been helping us for about a year and will continue to play a larger and larger role. He is so fantastic, as a person and a talent.

Am I the only one here that misses Eardrop?

I really miss it. A lot. Hopefully it comes back some day.

Sounds a little like something we see here in the lumber mill, when somebody cares too much. Caring is not a negative thing, it's the "too" that will take the toll.

Thank you Jeff, and thanks Earwolf for keeping a bunch of us here in the mill sane.

Thank you for listening! Yeah, it's definitely the "too" part that causes all the trouble.

• Like 1

It's a little ironic that the episode on SoundCloud breaks around 15 minutes in. The download works fine, though.

Classic blunder.

Wow, what a really great show. I hadn't listened to any Wolf Den episodes yet, but I think I might go back and listen to some of these from the beginning. I love behind the scenes type stuff, and I've been curious about how Earwolf works. From listening to the shows (especially looser ones like U Talkin' U2 to Me and Analyze Phish) you can get the feeling that the network is a bunch of comedian buddies just hanging out and goofing off. It was pretty cool to see Scott Aukerman more or less straight faced talking to Jeff Ullrich about Earwolf not just as a company, but as a successful company that everyone involved is proud of.

So to Mr. Ullrich, thanks so much for making the Network that hosts all of my favorite podcasts. I've spent so much time (probably too much ha) listening to your guys' shows and it sounds like your dedication really helped get the network off the ground. Good luck moving forward!

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

I want to also say thank you for this episode. When I heard Jeff was stepping down, uh, I mean, "aside" I have to admit I was worried. Because I know how important his personal involvement was to Earwolf. So I started wondering if this was some sort of fracture within the company, because based on what his role had been in the beginning it seemed unlikely that Jeff would step aside for anything unless there was something huge preventing him from doing it. Of course I now know that things had changed within the company so that Jeff's constant personal involvement was no longer necessary.

But it is good to hear about why this change is happening, and that this is a change that has good reason to have happened. Of course you never know what will happen when a new person takes over but at least I can see that the people involved are still dedicated to the Earwolf network's original vision. And I feel more optimistic.

PS Scott was spot on about people not being happy when U Talkin' U2 to Me ended and we had our fix taken away. It almost feels like a dark cloud descended on a Wednesday, ha ha. I say that not to make anyone feel guilty but to say that I REALLY loved the podcast and even if it's not a regular thing I hope that the Scotts keep coming back to it indefinitely. And it has made me love the Earwolf network even more. It sucked losing that as a weekly thing to look forward to but I knew that eventually this day would come. And I'm looking forward so much to see what the future holds.

Thank you for being so thoughtful and understanding about what is going on and the kind words!

I'll be recording a new ep with Adam on Monday that will come out in a few weeks so that I can introduce him to Earwolf fans. That will be my last Wolf Den.

this good one. its been obvious that focus has shifted in last 2 years (especially last year) fingers crossed they get the right guys to make it work. ucb's cool and all, but it seems very linear & staid atm, nothing at stake/nothing to loose...compared to kroll and gelman and that sort its nowhere near as good...aukerman is the man, but he needs to clone himself to help with workload and ensure the return to quality we have no right to expect off him. earwolf is cool btw.

• Like 1

I was a lil drunk while listening... Jeff are you stepping away from Midroll and Earwolf or just Earwolf?

Either way I will miss the Wolf Den, I listened to every episode and did love to hear the bread baking behind-the-scenes talk. Sounds like you needed the change, and I imagine something cool will come to you next. Good luck.

Also, couldn't you still do Wolf Den's as chairman?

My best to Earwolf and you, Jeff.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this