🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 307 — Ruth’s Ross Dress For Loss

Jack Black is great in some of my favourite stuff - Tom Goes to the Mayor, Mr. Show, Beck's Sexx Laws video - but I can really only stomach him and his gastro-superlatives in small doses.

I was really, really glad when Lapkus and Wengert arrived. They were 'delicious'.

• Like 1

Listening to this made me realize that I'm shocked they went with Tenacious D as a band name, when their last names are Black and Gas respectively. To me, Black Gas is a perfect name for what their band produces

It doesn't exactly ruin it, but for what it's worth, it's Gass, not Gas.

Looks like DSoWD won't be playing Supreme next year either :(

Jack Black is great in some of my favourite stuff - Tom Goes to the Mayor, Mr. Show, Beck's Sexx Laws video - but I can really only stomach him and his gastro-superlatives in small doses.

I was really, really glad when Lapkus and Wengert arrived. They were 'delicious'.

non-improv comedians (weird al) on cbb are usually hit or miss.

non-improv comedians (weird al) on cbb are usually hit or miss.

For me, it's more to do with his persona than his background. I could listen to non-improvisors like Adam Scott, Weird Al or Chelsea Peretti talk to Oxerman all day, but Jack's vibe is just a little cloying for me after about half an hour.

I don't want to overstate it, though, because I bet he's still a great guy and the episode was a winner overall.

• Like 1

Jack Black really missed for me. He didn't seem to play well with others. I guess I'm also biased because I don't really love musical comedy that much and it felt like he wanted to turn everything into a song. Mr. Gass seemed more willing to go with the flow.

More importantly, since the Emmy's were on Monday this year, the first episode after them will be #308. I will be so very disappointed if Amy Poehler is not with us. I was expecting her for this one.

Regards

• Like 1

More importantly, since the Emmy's were on Monday this year, the first episode after them will be #308. I will be so very disappointed if Amy Poehler is not with us. I was expecting her for this one.

Amy comes on every year to promote the new season of Parks and Rec. It's not coming back until 2015 this season, so that probably explains not having her on in august/september.

Amy comes on every year to promote the new season of Parks and Rec. It's not coming back until 2015 this season, so that probably explains not having her on in august/september.

That makes sense. Thanks. It's unsettling that you included September, though. I'll still hope.

Regards

I nominate "Is there anything I can do?" to be the official replacement of "Freebird!" at a concert

Comedy Bang Bang fans causing confusion.

"Where's everyone getting the name "Regina Crimp" from? The singer is Jill Colucci."

Thumbs down to that "reality".

Regina forever.

Wengert had me in tears by the time he started talking about dogs taking over the bathrooms. And that pathetic voice he did made me laugh every time, regardless of what he was actually saying.

• Like 1

I literally laughed out loud when Scott suggested Stan Freberg. I used to listen to his records as a kid. (My mom was nostalgic for her childhood...)

Jack Black really missed for me. He didn't seem to play well with others. I guess I'm also biased because I don't really love musical comedy that much and it felt like he wanted to turn everything into a song. Mr. Gass seemed more willing to go with the flow.

I get your point, but I feel like it was no different than any other time a real celebrity comes on the show having never heard it before. CBB has a uniquely crazy vibe, and I think it can catch people off-guard who aren't prepared to dive into the insanity head first (though it's always awesome when they do). Still, they aren't improvisers, so I admire them jumping in as much as they did.

My guess is that if/when the D returns, they will CRUSH IT.

• Like 1

the last ten minutes or maybe more of the tenacious d "interview"(40 minute plug for black's "supreme festival") was so boring. finally scott stopped endulging jack black and had lapkus and the other guy come on and save the show. it was hands down the worst ten minutes of comedy bang bang i've ever heard. black wasn't even trying to be entertaining during the end of the intro interview segment. he was just naming people one after another that would be appearing at his event. i felt myself dangerously coming close to falling asleep in my car while driving. i'm so used to hear lapkus laugh in the background while waiting for her cue to jump in, but it was dead silence from her. christ that part was so bad.

the last ten minutes or maybe more of the tenacious d "interview"(40 minute plug for black's "supreme festival") was so boring. finally scott stopped endulging jack black and had lapkus and the other guy come on and save the show. it was hands down the worst ten minutes of comedy bang bang i've ever heard. black wasn't even trying to be entertaining during the end of the intro interview segment. he was just naming people one after another that would be appearing at his event. i felt myself dangerously coming close to falling asleep in my car while driving. i'm so used to hear lapkus laugh in the background while waiting for her cue to jump in, but it was dead silence from her. christ that part was so bad.

boo fuckin hoo

• Like 1

I feel like Jack Black is of the Ben Stiller type. A funny guy who can sometimes come across as maybe taking himself a little too seriously and perhaps being a bit out of touch. It can feel out of place in CBB which is almost entirely about not taking yourself or anything seriously.

Having said that, quit complaining. I thought it was a really fun episode. I didn't know much about Kyle going in but he was awesome.

I don't think they were bashing Ross for being a thrift store, it just seemed like Wengert noticed how awful the "layout" is in there and created an insane character- one founded on an exaggeration of a very specific gripe about a specific department store

We at Ross don't really focus on... merchandising...

also "hayes and sean" isnt the name of a show

Good point, listening to it again Wengert did steer clear from direct satire. And I can't think of Hollywood Handbook without hearing the girl sing "Here comes Hayes and Sean (Shawn?)" in my head.

If the butt of the joke were the store patrons I could see where you might have a point, but the focus of scorn in the Russ character is a multi-billion dollar corporation that seems to put the least amount of effort possible into maintaining its stores. The joke is *for* Ross shoppers.

Very well-stated and something I didn't pick up on. Listening to it again, Wengert played it perfectly.

• Like 1

The intro segment dragged a bit, but Joe Wengert's character is one of my favorite CBB characs ever.

And that plugs theme? Well, as Tiny once said, That's a good song.

somehow missed this ep when it first came out but good lord, joe wengert's pathetic, weak voice made my face hurt. what a treasure.