🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
BrettMorris

Episode 92 — The 1st Annual Howdies Pt. 2

Paul: This is how we DID IT.

Jason: Did what? Made a baby?

Paul: Yeah.

Jason: Very formally.

At long last, they have answered the question they've posed since the beginning: How Did This (baby) Get Made? Show's over, folks. 13 minutes in. Roll credits.

• Like 2

Sadly, the awards show snubbed my favorite Paul quote, which appeared in "Fair Game," when Paul exclaimed at 42:19:

"I don't even understand the plan, and I'm privy to it!"

I just get the feeling that Paul says that a lot in his personal life as well.

Another person who I wish could have taken home some hardware is the audience member at "Gymkata" (Live) who provoked Jason into a fit of contempt by insulting Jason's appearance, calling out Jason for not taking a picture with him, and then, when he finally got around to his question, speculating that someone threw a bucket of . . . cum . . . on Kurt Thomas. Jason's reaction is so satisfying.

• Like 1

"THIS IS SOME OLDBOY SHIT............ spoilers for Oldboy."

Hearing that this time, it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure I saw Oldboy for the first time more recently than that episode, and luckily I had completely forgotten it.

• Like 1

Hearing that this time, it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure I saw Oldboy for the first time more recently than that episode, and luckily I had completely forgotten it.

Personally, I saw Oldboy soon after it was released in the US on video, but that line fucking killed me the first time I heard it, and I got a good ol' hearty lol in this recap.

I think this is sort of emblematic of how the podcast has legitimately changed the way I watch movies. When a movie is less-than-good, I am constantly on the lookout for things that are "next level bonkers" and the like, much in the same way that Jason compares Demolition Man to the daughter-fucking in Oldboy. Not that Oldboy is bad, but the correlation between the two films, at least the perceived similarities, is definitely bat shit crazy because in Demolition Man, the movie seems like it's setting up Sandra Bullock to be Sylvester Stallone's daughter.... but then they fuck).

Here's a correction:

Due to extreme overuse the definition of literally has been updated to include the informal definition, which reads-

used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

So you've "literally" used it correctly every time you've said it.... literally.

I don't care what some online dictionaries may have added to appease the ignorant, this is like saying, "Due to extreme overuse, the definition of red has been updated to mean blue."

I mean, this "definition" actually (literally) contains the word "literally" in a negative context. It is literally saying that the word literally means "not literally". COME ON!

Bear in mind, I'm not one of those people who points it out in conversation when someone misuses it. I let it go, because I'm not a pedantic arse. But let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's correct now, just because a lot of people get it wrong a lot of the time.

Edited by Illusion-XIII
  • Like 4

I don't care what some online dictionaries may have added to appease the ignorant, this is like saying, "Due to extreme overuse, the definition of red has been updated to mean blue."

I mean, this "definition" actually (literally) contains the word "literally" in a negative context. It is literally saying that the word literally means "not literally". COME ON!

Bear in mind, I'm not one of those people who points it out in conversation when someone misuses it. I let it go, because I'm not a pedantic arse. But let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's correct now, just because a lot of people get it wrong a lot of the time.

I agree. I don't think literally should mean literally and the exact opposite because it's used wrong. But it's not just an online dictionary it's ALL dictionaries- that includes Webster bro. He probably just got tired of asking what people were talkin' bout every time he heard it used incorrectly.

The Gary Coleman's have it though man. Literally also means figuratively. Deal with it.

I agree. I don't think literally should mean literally and the exact opposite because it's used wrong. But it's not just an online dictionary it's ALL dictionaries- that includes Webster bro. He probably just got tired of asking what people were talkin' bout every time he heard it used incorrectly.

The Gary Coleman's have it though man. Literally also means figuratively. Deal with it.

My hang-up has always been "ironic", like how it often gets used to describe something that isn't the least bit ironic. Can you imagine if EVERY word that got misused got an alternate, opposite definition? Fuckin' internet...

• Like 1

A couple of things bothered me:

1) What'serface claims that the gang only used "literally" correctly once, but TWICE during the episode we hear two other (and, dare I say, better) uses of the word: "she literally puts make-up on her face" (from Burlesque) and "you will get literally no argument from me" ("...for proposing this movie be re-shot with 8 year olds")

2) They have a category for craziest accents and don't nominate the fucking bonkers accents from After Earth??? WHAT IS HAPPENING

Sorry for being a buzzkill! But don't blame me, blame the 405 south.

Idea submission:

I know that on the Howdy Awards you offered up to the listeners to suggest what we would like to hear on future episodes of HDTGM and I would like to offer a content change regarding [at least] three future episodes. Normally, you discuss "bad" movies, but I thought it might be a nice change to hear about Paul, June, and Jason's favorite movie [not necessarily "bad"] and give a real breakdown about why they like it so much. This could include trivia about the movie, actors, or still keep with the usual tearing it apart. I would love to know more about the host's movie background on a serious level and think it would make for interesting episodes.

(i.e. My favorite movie is Back to the Future, which I do not consider a bad movie in the traditional HDTGM sense, and if I were reviewing it for these new episodes, I could include information like how Michael J Fox shot day scenes on the weekend and night scenes during the week so as not to interfere with his Family Ties shooting. Info like this for the host's movies would be fun and interesting, in my opinion)

Just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks,

Matt, PA

Idea submission:

I know that on the Howdy Awards you offered up to the listeners to suggest what we would like to hear on future episodes of HDTGM and I would like to offer a content change regarding [at least] three future episodes. Normally, you discuss "bad" movies, but I thought it might be a nice change to hear about Paul, June, and Jason's favorite movie [not necessarily "bad"] and give a real breakdown about why they like it so much. This could include trivia about the movie, actors, or still keep with the usual tearing it apart. I would love to know more about the host's movie background on a serious level and think it would make for interesting episodes.

(i.e. My favorite movie is Back to the Future, which I do not consider a bad movie in the traditional HDTGM sense, and if I were reviewing it for these new episodes, I could include information like how Michael J Fox shot day scenes on the weekend and night scenes during the week so as not to interfere with his Family Ties shooting. Info like this for the host's movies would be fun and interesting, in my opinion)

Just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks,

Matt, PA

that's not really what this podcast is about, there's a million podcasts discussing movies that they think are good, the whole conceit of How Did This Get Made is about crazy, weird and bad movies, they'll never review a movie like Back to the Future, what would be the point in that? that being said, they have done several episodes about movies they love and think are good, go listen to Punisher War Zone or Crank 2 or Fast Five.

I'm sorry if I'm seeming like a dick but i feel like I read shit on here all the time of people just wanting this to be a regular old movie review podcast and whatever that's fine if you just like hearing the hosts chat about anything, I can't blame you for that, but maybe I just speak for myself when i say that what makes HDTGM unique and fun is them tackling the weird and horrible side of movies. This isn't some serious movie review podcast, it's a bunch of friends hanging out ripping apart crazy movies like you might do with your friends, that's how i see it at least, the last thing i want is to hear them just talk about something that's good, go listen to Odd Life of Timothy Green if you want to hear how boring them actually liking a movie can be.