🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 92.5 — Minisode 92.5

I add my nominations for "Knowing" and "Snake Eyes" but I'm also throwing "Face/Off" into the mix because I've literally only seen the first 10 minutes and I can't wrap my brain around it.

You want them to do an action movie "classic" because you didn't follow the first 10 minutes and gave up?

Face/Off is based around a completely ridiculous and unbelievable premise, but it was a great movie of the time. That was in the era of solid Cage action movies, The Rock/Con-Air in there too. I will say that since I know it well, it would be fun to hear the gang rip it apart, there were a lot of lines specifically that were hilarious out of or in context. For instance, when they are perfecting this face swapping technology, they need to have Travolta's good guy character read lines they've heard Cage's character say to swap their voices out, and the line he says is about eating pussy, "Peach.... I could eat a peach for hours"

Peggy Sue Got Married is on my DVR. I started watching it one night, and even my husband (who is generally watching/reading something related to the military) found it to be amazing.

No one tucks in a cardigan like nick cage does.. plus in that clip if you look to the right that is Jim Carrey!

295sft3.jpg

At first glance I thought that was a pic of Travolta in Grease. Maybe it actually is Travolta with Cage's face on him...

At first glance I thought that was a pic of Travolta in Grease. Maybe it actually is Travolta with Cage's face on him...

Little bit like Greese. my favorite line is "does lucky chucky want to come out"

I can't find a better picture but I asked my dad about it and he agreed that's really odd that he would tuck in a sweater like that. it's on cable all the time and we started watching it.

I want to watch Glitter and LOL with Jason so bad.

I think those movies might literally make his brain drain out his ears and beard catch fire.

• Like 2

if they do make a Cage movie night, can we see if we can get that pillow company that's on amazon to be a sponsor for the show. I would so much like to hear Paul talk about how wonderful these pillows are. LOL

bhlniq.jpg

• Like 2

megatron_g1_by_tenoh.jpg

Frank Welker.

I haven't seen that guy ANYWHERE else, are you sure?

*subtle cue to start photoshopping animated Megatron into all of those movies*

I barely remember anything about the film at all, but has anyone seen "Fire Birds", the attempt to rip off "Top Gun" with Nic Cage and Tommy Lee Jones before they both became Oscar winners and THEN action heroes? I do know that I've always been amused by early overly-serious Cage that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

Staying Alive really IS something to behold. Travolta gives a performance as over the top as in Battlefield Earth in a totally different way. The guy is playing a character he 'd previously played to great acclaim - how did it go so wrong?

The reprise of "the strut" at the end falls so, so flat.

This is a lot like Xanadu in that they are both messes, but VERY watchable and enjoyable messes.

• Like 1

if they do make a Cage movie night, can we see if we can get that pillow company that's on amazon to be a sponsor for the show. I would so much like to hear Paul talk about how wonderful these pillows are. LOL

bhlniq.jpg

I...I think I just found my husband's Christmas gift this year, thank you.

• Like 1

Staying Alive really IS something to behold. Travolta gives a performance as over the top as in Battlefield Earth in a totally different way. The guy is playing a character he 'd previously played to great acclaim - how did it go so wrong?

The reprise of "the strut" at the end falls so, so flat.

This is a lot like Xanadu in that they are both messes, but VERY watchable and enjoyable messes.

The coating of artificial sweat during the dance sequences alone is a wonder to behold.

Alright guys, I gave LOL a go. I got to raw chicken masturbation, and.....I'm out. I would rather watch any other movie done on this podcast 100 times in a row, Clockwork Orange style, than sit through one more second of this garbage.

Also, in regard to the upcoming Rhinestone, this was the process my mind went through: Rhinestone, Rhinestone Cowboy, shoot can't find that, Urban Cowboy?, it has Travolta, this has to be it, many bitter tears later, wait, the movie WAS Rhinestone! Fuck, you mean I just sat through this for nothing?

Paul, June, and Jason, please make this right! I can't stand upon this precipice on my own. It is cold and lonely out here, and the wind howls like the hollow cries of countless souls forever bound in perdition.

The only Nic Cage movies that wouldn't work are Leaving Las Vegas & Raising Arizona. Everything else is fair game.

Also, I would love a HDTGM t-shirt based on 8mm, where he's saying "Do you have anything......harder?"

Adaptation is a masterpiece

Lord of War, the Weather Man and Matchstick Men are not crazy

Making fun of Bad Lieutenant and Wild at Heart would run you the risk of being accused of "not getting it"

Windtalkers and World Trade Center are too delicate subjects to mock

• Like 2

Adaptation is a masterpiece

Lord of War, the Weather Man and Matchstick Men are not crazy

Making fun of Bad Lieutenant and Wild at Heart would run you the risk of being accused of "not getting it"

Windtalkers and World Trade Center are too delicate subjects to mock

I knew I should have looked at IMDB before I wrote my last post. A WTC episode would probably make the news

• Like 1

To be fair, the list of movies that would be worth doing has got to be at least 2x as long as the list of movies that they shouldn't do.

• Like 1

Wow... This movie was FULL of Stallone. Did anyone else work on this film?

Anyway, here are a couple alternate titles:

"Montage: The Movie"

"The only straight dancer... no really..."

"So you think I want to watch a movie about dancers..."

"The Chauvinist Must Go On!"

I just watched Staying Alive, and, other than Tony's chauvinism being off-putting as hell, I actually kind of loved it. I should tell you now that I have never seen Saturday Night Fever. But I love montages and synth-rock (downloaded Tommy Faragher's "(We Dance) So Close the Fire" after it was over), so this was right up my alley.

Um...I'm sorry?

• Like 1

I am finding, Staying Alive, to be unwatchable, I truly hate it. I've tried three times to watch it, but, its just plan bad and boring. I think I'm going to just have to wait for the podcast to find out how it ends.

I just watched Staying Alive, and, other than Tony's chauvinism being off-putting as hell, I actually kind of loved it. I should tell you now that I have never seen Saturday Night Fever. But I love montages and synth-rock (downloaded Tommy Faragher's "(We Dance) So Close the Fire" after it was over), so this was right up my alley.

Um...I'm sorry?

100% agree w/ you! The chauvinism was out-of-control, but I found it watchable. Shoot, by like the hundredth time he stood up the girl who reminds me of Boof from Teen Wolf, I thought the movie was actively trolling me.

And I too have, shamefully, downloaded that song. Also Frank Stallone's "Far From Over." When it kicked on for I think the third time in the film I had a real "Aww...Yeah!" moment. I think it may also have to do with the fact that it does it while they are dance-acting Satan's Alley and I refused to believe that they were putting on a show. In my mind, everything happening during the show was actually happening to Tony (i.e. Travolta had literally cast down to Hell and only his spastic dancing could save him).

It was a fun viewing :)

• Like 2

I hated "Staying Alive." I rented it late Saturday night and couldn't believe how terrible it was. Travolta's character was the least likable protagonist I can remember. I don't understand dance movies - I understand why people like to dance, I just don't get why anyone would want to watch other people dancing. So while I'm no expert on choreography, I have to say the dances in this movie seemed particularly abysmal. Jackie was too nice and Laura was too crazy/evil. They teased us by having Red Foreman in the opening sequence and nowhere else in the movie. The lady in the bar that tells Tony she orders so many drinks because she likes to watch him walk is a real weirdo. Is there a word for lady creeps, or are they just creeps? The headbands... ugh, what needs to be said about them?

And I'm currently watching this movie for the 3rd time in 2 days.

Also Frank Stallone's "Far From Over." When it kicked on for I think the third time in the film I had a real "Aww...Yeah!" moment.

I know, right? The first time I thought it was terrible, but by that last time I was so psyched to hear it. This movie made me like Frank Stallone.

• Like 1

I thought "Far From Over" was amazing from the first time I heard it in the movie to the last. I genuinely liked the entire soundtrack.

• Like 1

Did anyone happen to notice that the White 3-piece suit he whips out of the closet, is NOT in fact the same as the original? Certainly they wouldn't use the SAME one Gene Siskel had been farting for the last 3-4 years. Seriously, though. They don't even match! The lapels are all fucked up. That annoyed me.

Up your nose with a rubber hose Sly!

Sign in to follow this