🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1505 - Kulap Vilaysack

I'm so glad they sorted out the crumping and krunking confusion. I was about to lose it... over the difference between crumping and krunking.....

What is my life

Bob Saget was ripping off old Robert Bloch jokes some time back? The television, film and fiction writer (among other things) was also a common toastmaster at writer's events, and when not writing PSYCHO and the like, was prone (in the 1940s and '50s) to making jokes such as "Actually, I have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar, on my desk." This was quoted in at least one ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS anthology...but, then, it could well be parallel construction...gallows humorists thinking alike...and even also something Saget, much as I did, read as a kid and it fell back into the forebrain eventually.

"I WAS JUST A CHILD MYSELF! Just a puppy - one of God's little puppies. Just scootin' around, making people who have allergies SICK! " -- needs to be in the next opening quote montage.

Jeez louise this episode was an amazingly hilarious episode. Kulap always makes any podcast better. And when the cast is already as amazing as NNF, it's going to result in a great time. Great!

I was trying to figure out why I hate the "This is an hour out of your life to have fun" in the intro so much, and I think it's because it assumes I don't understand what entertainment is

in context it was mr pardo telling paul gilmartin to stop talking about mental illness for a little while, so i always think about that when i hear it

• Like 1

I predict that the individual episode video of this one will be a big seller at pardcast.com. Kulap just lights up the room. Even more than that ball on the table.

• Like 1

I thought Jimmy would be the one to bring up the documentary Daughter From Danang if Besser didn't. Here is the AVclub write up on it.

Reunions of family members who’ve been torn apart by hardship are among the most reliable tearjerkers. That’s likely what Gail Dolgin and Vicente Franco were thinking when they decided to make a film about Heidi Bub, a young woman born in Vietnam who’d been evacuated to the U.S. in 1975, near the end of the war, as part of what was called Operation Babylift. Having been raised by an American family from the age of 7, Heidi was eager to finally meet her birth family, and Dolgin and Franco tagged along with a camera to capture the heartwarming moment. Instead, Daughter From Danang unexpectedly became a slow-motion train wreck, as Heidi was perceived by her desperately poor Vietnamese relatives as their means of economic salvation. Radically different cultural expectations led to horrific misunderstandings, and the film essentially depicts Heidi’s complete mental breakdown; what was conceived as a feel-good journey of filial healing—a project that would salve old wounds even as it exposed them for our collective tsk-tsking—slowly but surely devolves into a fascinating, cringe-inducing portrait of cultural solipsism, climaxing in an emotional meltdown that wouldn’t look out of place in mid-period Cassavetes.

Number 5 on the list

http://www.avclub.co...se-durin-208522

It already sounds like her investigation didn't devolve into that but I would love someone to ask if Kulap knew about that docu before she ventured on her own.

It already sounds like her investigation didn't devolve into that but I would love someone to ask if Kulap knew about that docu before she ventured on her own.

Ku said on her Reddit AMA the other day that she still hasn't seen that movie but everyone keeps telling her to watch it.

It sounds really really upsetting based on that paragraph you posted though, so maybe that's a mean thing for someone to tell her to do

• Like 1

has kulap seen THEY LIVE? i like that movie a lot

• Like 2

The show "Penn & Teller: Fool Us" is the show you guys were thinking of, where they have magicians perform a trick in front of them and they try to figure out how it's done. It was done in the UK, and the magicians who won (i.e. Penn & Teller couldn't figure out the trick) earned a ticket to come out to Las Vegas and perform as their opening act. It aired in 2011 and it looks like there was only one season, but it was really good.

• Like 1

It aired in 2011 and it looks like there was only one season, but it was really good.

I thought it didn't work on a really fundamental level - the whole show revolves around whether Penn and Teller could explain how the illusions were achieved, yet they then literally could then not explain it to the audience, because they didn't want to destroy the contestants' source of income by "unmasking" their processes.

Which is completely understandable, but also basically made the show about contestants doing their acts and P&T then saying "we got it" or "we're baffled", without further explanation. Not the most riveting television.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this