🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 150 — Shoehorn A Shoehorn Story

Ben Schwartz, Gil Ozeri, and Mookie Blaiklock audition to be Disneyland characters on this week’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! They also get notes for their clothing choices when they perform onstage, explore the life of the refuser, and Gil shares his world-renowned shoehorn story. Plus, the Confrontation Scenario with Ben Schwartz returns this time taking place at the 2014 Emmys. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

I really thought Mookie was going to reveal he is Michael Jackson in that costume scene.

Heee heeee!

• Like 7

Has Ben Schwartz ever done a not-funny episode of any podcast ever? Like a robot built to be funny, this guy is always funny. Add him to the Hall of Funny please.

• Like 5

This was a murderer's row of kick ass talent on I4H. Benny Schwas...my god, so flawless in the scene of sending stuff back. And Mookie..I nearly spat out my coffee when he was laughing like Mickey Mouse, which complimented Gil's 'sweet spot' and 'tasty bits' part of the scene.

As for Matt's rant on Jim Parsons, I can understand where he's coming from. I have the same deal with Modern Family. While it's a good show, no fucking way that show should've won 4 years in a row for Outstanding Comedy Series. It's funny, but shows like Louie, Parks & Rec, Veep, Arrested Development had much funnier content during all of this. I know the cast is playing doing the same rigmarole, but its the same drivel show in and show out....

• Like 6

It really bothered me that Hugh Laurie never won for House. James Spader beat him twice, then Cranston beat him 3 years in a row. Then a Friday Night Lights guy beat him.

People wonder why tv is dwindling in ratings and why Big Bang Theory is the biggest thing on tv. Well maybe people would watch other shit if the awards were given out to more shows? Giving the same award to the same people for years isn't exactly promoting and enhancing the product.

Keep putting Ben in the confrontation corner!

• Like 2

As an Im4h fan, and a huge fan of everything comedy I don't belive in not crossing lines, but this episode needs a This American Life style trigger warning for victims of abuse.

• Like 1

It goes in--

It goes in--

It--

It slides--

It g--

It goes in--

It--

• Like 3

Oh Benny Shorts...

usagi_hearts_in_eyes.gif

My crush on him has reached giggly school girl proportions and I felt all flustered seeing his face on the Earwolf front page. *sigh* He's just so so funny and he's so nice! Don't make him do confrontation corner!! It goes against his adorably agreeable nature! Just let him sing and do bad British accents all the time.

On the Jim Parsons thing, I actually thought his speech was pretty badass. He basically said, "I totally don't deserve this, I wish I was doing cool shit like you guys but I have to say Bazinga and I hate myself. The people giving me this have poor taste in comedy" In a really really eloquent way. I know those guys are bazillionaires but they aren't unaware that their show is lowbrow bullshit and that people they respect really hate their work... that probably kinda sucks.

• Like 5

I really thought Mookie was going to reveal he is Michael Jackson in that costume scene.

I always wondered what it would sound like if Don DiMello and the ghost of Michael Jackson trained to be characters at Disneyland.

• Like 3

I can totally imagine Andy Daly crushing that Disney Land scene, and I say that with the utmost respect. Great episode as always.

• Like 1

i like to listen to this episode, i like to laugh

• Like 2

I wish Gil was on more. What a lineup. I feel like I'm always saying what a lineup. I4H has such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talent.

Gil was channeling Dom Dimello a little in the Disney scene.

"Ben Shorts" "Did you say Ben Schwartz?" Oh man that killed me.

And Mookie. He's Mookie. The best. I still go back and listen to that scene where Mookie launches into the pitch perfect crazy ranting guy voice from the youtube video. Legendary.

• Like 1

First time posting. Long time listener.

I just wanted ring in on the Jim Parsons thing. The show is bad. I've seen it a few times and it's almost unwatchable. I find it slightly offensive to pretty much any human. There are things said about the Penny character that fill me with rage. I read that she was supposed to be the "audiences voice" in a world full of geeks/nerds but the geeks/nerds just insult her for not being smart or not knowing the things that they do.

Second. I HOPE YOU READ THIS, BESSER. Jim Parsons said something really impressive in his acceptance speech at the Emmy's this year. Here's a link.

He says "There is no accounting for taste." Which is him calling out the academy and the viewers of the show. I was really surprised at this. He keeps winning and even he doesn't seem to understand why. I thought this point could have added a lot to the discussion you guys were having in the episode.

Great work, as always. Love the show.

EDIT: Bryan Cranston did not win an Emmy last year. It went to Jeff Daniels for Newsroom.

• Like 2

And Mookie. He's Mookie. The best. I still go back and listen to that scene where Mookie launches into the pitch perfect crazy ranting guy voice from the youtube video. Legendary.

I think my all-time favorite Mookie scene is the Indian man who gets turned on watching women eat mangoes.

But yes, this episode was great. And I also wish Gil was on the show more. He's hilarious.

• Like 3

I think my all-time favorite Mookie scene is the Indian man who gets turned on watching women eat mangoes.

But yes, this episode was great. And I also wish Gil was on the show more. He's hilarious.

Yes! That mango bit is a personal favorite of mine. I always think of it when people tell me how much they enjoy

mangoes. For some reason I thought the creepy mango guy was Wengert.

Great episode!

God I love Ben, especially the way he prompts other people when improvising.

"Remember that thing? Yeah? And then you said..."

Really fun openness with the dialogue. Also his Goofy was amazing, and the British child. And Gil as Donald...

"QUACK QUACK."

The thing about Jim Parsons and what BARF said... He's certainly a smart, funny, talented dude. He's obviously self-aware. But that ridiculous show and every embarrassing commercial he mugs for it and now all the awards.... Suddenly being ironic about it seems a sad and weird defense mechanism. Like he's trying to build some cool-guy anti-hero mental buffer. If you know the show is dumb, stop doing the show. Do something else -- write a funny blog, start a funny podcast, GUEST on funny podcasts. Dude's a hack. Doing an unjoyful sitcom for the money is the definition of hack. Doing things like joyful podcasts for no money and as if no once cared is what comedy should be about.

• Like 2

The thing about Jim Parsons and what BARF said... He's certainly a smart, funny, talented dude. He's obviously self-aware. But that ridiculous show and every embarrassing commercial he mugs for it and now all the awards.... Suddenly being ironic about it seems a sad and weird defense mechanism. Like he's trying to build some cool-guy anti-hero mental buffer. If you know the show is dumb, stop doing the show. Do something else -- write a funny blog, start a funny podcast, GUEST on funny podcasts. Dude's a hack. Doing an unjoyful sitcom for the money is the definition of hack. Doing things like joyful podcasts for no money and as if no once cared is what comedy should be about.

If I was Jim Parsons I would be like 'This show is stupid, I'm gonna go and do something more interesting and cool- wait, how much per episode? Okay, BAZINGA BAZINGA GIVE ME THE MONEY'

And I'm a big comedy hipster

• Like 3

For real, nobody is turning down Big Bang money.

I don't know, at some point, you have more money than you can ever possibly spend, so what's another $25M going to do? There are plenty of rich actors who turn down big-money roles for stuff that's more artistically fulfilling.

• Like 2

As an Im4h fan, and a huge fan of everything comedy I don't belive in not crossing lines, but this episode needs a This American Life style trigger warning for victims of abuse.

I was actually on my way to the hospital to visit an aunt who is more like my mother. She is a victim of sexual abuse as a child and now has insurmountable addiction problems. I still enjoyed the episode because the situation has gotten so dark I realize the cathartic place of comedy but yes, a warning would have been nice as it was more of a time and place issue.

Unrelated -

Reading Jim Parsons quotes on IMDB is comedy gold. Who thought most of these were quote worthy??

"I love seeing tennis up close."

"I think intelligence is usually sexy until it becomes irritating. After that, you're stuck."

"I'm also a big American Idol fan. I think it's just great fun."

Sign in to follow this