🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 93 — Staying Alive: LIVE!

After listening to the show, Now I am angry that Earwolf doesn't provide video podcasts for HDTGM live shows. ;)

What ever happen to that idea.I remember the Superman 2 show had video and a option to donate if you liked it.

I have to dare say it, this was one of the best shows they have done in a long time.

• Like 1

Far From Over suddenly starting as Paul introduced the crew absolutely killed me. Fucking amazing!

"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaatie Dippoooooooooooooold!"

• Like 5

When he gets the call that he got the part, is there someone there with a marker and bristol board writing a note to prompt him to ask if there's a physical? ("It's Patrick -- He's talking about life insurance.")

I thought that song at the beginning of the movie sounded familiar, but I knew I had never heard it.

That's more like it.

The instrumental version of "Far From Over" was also the theme song for NWA's Starrcade pay per views in the 80s.

• Like 2

This is the most joyous podcast ever recorded. Perfect movie. Perfect guest. Dance party!!!

Just a joyous listening experience.

• Like 3

After Travolta throws the girl in the garbage to dance his solo, did it look to anyone else like one of his first dance moves was a "Love is a Battlefield"-esque shoulder shake? It was very odd, like he didn't want the audience not be aware of his tits. My rental is over, so I can't go back and look for the exact time or anything, I'm just hoping someone else noticed.

When Paul suggested that Travolta might be a ghost in a movie called Staying Alive, I thought we were in for some Reindeer Games-caliber revelations.

• Like 1

Earwolf posted a brief snippet of it on their Instagram feed.

You are

Dan Engler, thanks for posting that clip, didn't notice it tell now.

I never noticed tell the third time watching it that jason pushed the guest over.

Cynthia Rhodes at one point, while married to Richard Marx, took over lead vocals of the band Animotion after many of the founding members had left.

Cynthia Rhodes at one point, while married to Richard Marx, took over lead vocals of the band Animotion after many of the founding members had left.

She also starred in Richard Marx's first video, "

"

So she was in "Flashdance" and 'Dirty Dancing," two iconic '80's movies, and she was the only redeeming part of this movie. Seems to me like she accomplished a decent amount before retiring to be a full-time parent. She & RM only separated in the past couple of years, so she was able to be a stay-at-home mother until her kids were grown. If nothing else, "Staying Alive" made me curious enough to find out she's pretty cool.

Here's a couple of things that came into my mind as I thought about the movie:

1.) Going off the idea that Jackie is the protagonist of the movie, a good tagline would be: "She provides moral support...to a man with no morals."

2.) The gang talked about the scene where Jackie's singing a song, Tony motions her over, and she leaves the stage to talk to him, while the song is still being performed. Then Tony gets mad because Frank Stallone keeps looking at her from onstage. But the look on Frank's face isn't one of sexual attraction, it's more frustrated. Tony never even considered the idea that maybe Frank just wanted her to come back and finish the damn song !

• Like 4

I really took Jason's admonishment to heart, and I truly did stand up and dance during the dance break. I'll keep you guys posted on my weight loss/mood improvement as I take the reviewer's advice...

• Like 3

I knew I heard that Frank Stallone song somewhere before. It's the song in the old Harry Shearer/Martin Short "Male Synchronized Swimming" skit. I think they even do some of the weird Travolta arm chops. Maybe it's an homage; maybe it's just a bread and butter move in contemporary dance.

• Like 3

There was a really beautiful moment after everyone agreed that Travolta is crazo hot in this movie where there was just this little pause while everyone was considering the beauty and then Paul is like, "uh, well...good you guys all agree"

Cause he used to be so hot.

This shot from Grease certainly made an impression on my young self

tumblr_lheil6qvkp1qg1xpdo1_500.gif

Ugh... why is he a gross melting wax statue person now?

I really thought there would be mention of all the bulge though.

Shannon you haven't watched the movie yet? is that what your saying here. I don't regret downloading this on itunes..unlike some movies the gang picks.

oh boy do I hope we have our wires crossed on this one...

I was talking about Paul's call for everyone to watch the upcoming film "LOL" before it goes off Netflix. To which I still say DO. NOT. DO. IT.

But if indeed this is not a misunderstanding...

Please explain to me why you purchased "LOL" and why you do not regret this decision?

• Like 5

Earwolf posted a brief snippet of it on their Instagram feed.

thanks for linking to this Dan. as for everyone else, you're very welcome that I decided to film this as I too was dancing

• Like 2

tbh I didn't really have fun with this movie (episode was great though), most the characters were just either so horrible or so bleh, and stuff didnt even really happen, i mean stuff happened i guess but it just kind of was there.

Maybe its just cause I've watched 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' and 'Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo' waaaay too many times that I kind of expect more stupid craziness and ham-handed shmacting in a stupid dance movie?

---

anyway:

The band Jackie was in kinda reminded me of a way worse version of Dragon Sound.

Also, as he says, his "hey there's a guy out here who wants to meet you, let me exaggeratedly go and get him in an overlong and unfunny moment" gag is one of his BEST pickup lines...so much so he uses it with Jackie at one point later in the movie.

Also at the fancy party that Travolta goes to instead of the date with Jackie, it gives a pan up on Laura thats like 'check out this hottie whos looking particularly hot this night', but shes just in a droopy white pantsuit with her hair in a big ratty bun, even for the early 80s its bad, she looks like Leia after going through the trash compactor.

And Travolta's face through this whole movie looks like hes going to murder whoever he's looking at.

This movie had so many cuts to other people's faces looking at someone else.

To kinda go with the whole "there's no conflict" thing of this movie, it almost wants to set up that he has opening night jitters, he's sweaty and weird in his dressing room, obviously nervous, jokes that he needs another week before he's ready...and then its never an issue and he makes 0 mistakes during performance other than being an asshole.

• Like 1

tag-linecopy.png

These quotes not being used on official merchandise (as honest quotes or taglines) is a crime, you guys. lol.

If I can find another poster/cover, I will totally put in June's quote, "I think Jim Varney can do anything". rofl. :D

• Like 7

You know guys, I've realized something. I would totally pay for some HDTGM movie posters, lol :P

movieposter.png

And again, the Biblical parallels are pretty obvious.

• Like 3