🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 93 — Staying Alive: LIVE!

I've only listened to the intro at this point but I need to say... DON'T LISTEN TO PAUL. DON'T WATCH "LOL"

I'm still really really angry that I did.

ME TOO, I AM FUCKING FURIOUS AND IT'S BEEN TWO DAYS SINCE I DID.

• Like 2

gotta love the 80's

IMG_0184-613x408.jpg

That book seems to have too many pages for just saying "Dance to the soundtracks of Saturday Night Fever and Staying Alive every day"

• Like 5

That book seems to have too many pages for just saying "Dance to the soundtracks of Saturday Night Fever and Staying Alive every day"

I'm more worried by the number of annotations this copy seems to have. Whoever owned this book decided at least 12 distinct parts of it were so essential they had to be bookmarked for immediate access.

• Like 2

"Only Frank Stallone can start a movie with a song whose opening line is 'This is the end'." -Jason

Bizarrely, this is not true. Unless, of course, Frank Stallone was uncredited in Skyfall:

oh boy do I hope we have our wires crossed on this one...

I was talking about Paul's call for everyone to watch the upcoming film "LOL" before it goes off Netflix. To which I still say DO. NOT. DO. IT.

But if indeed this is not a misunderstanding...

Please explain to me why you purchased "LOL" and why you do not regret this decision?

Yep wires crossed, I didn't buy it I rented it and I was talking about "Staying Alive". I also got the song "far from over" -by frank stallone it's my new alarm clock song.. if that doesn't get me out of bed in the morning nothing will. BTW I already own "LOL" we are in for a ride with that one.

ME TOO, I AM FUCKING FURIOUS AND IT'S BEEN TWO DAYS SINCE I DID.

Y'know, there's this urban legend I heard about where people have died mysteriously seven days after watching a tape with "LOL" on it. It also had some weird ghost girl shit on it, but I'm positive it was the "LOL" part that did the damage.

• Like 3

As soon as I heard the intro for "Far From Over" in the mini-episode, I recognized the song but had no idea it was from this movie. Back in 2010, Hamish and Andy, an Australian comedy duo and radio hosts, discovered this song and fell in love. They used their radio drive-time show and podcast to campaign for Frank Stallone to go to Melbourne and play a show. They called the one night event "The Fully Franked Tour: For One Night Stallonely!" I have to admit to succumbing to the power of the song and even making the intro my alarm tone for a short while, it's the FRANK EFFECT! I have attached the link to the Hamish and Andy special where they remember the concert and having Frank come to Australia.

Hamish and Andy Reministmas Special

• Like 4

It's no "Nundercover" (really, what IS?), but "Stallonely" is pretty fucking incredible. Frank has been involved with SO many of his brother's films (I counted at least 10), so how about trying to get him for a future ep? He's an HDTGM All Star in his own right, having appeared in this and "Hudson Hawk", as well as having also performed music in "Over the Top". He also took part in Hulk Hogan's "Celebrity Championship Wrestling" a few years back and could have some good stories about that, which also featured HDTGM alum Dennis Rodman.

I've only listened to the intro at this point but I need to say... DON'T LISTEN TO PAUL. DON'T WATCH "LOL"

I'm still really really angry that I did.

I just logged in right now to voice the same opinion. I'm halfway into LOL and it hurts. I simply cannot finish this one... its BAD.

• Like 2

This was an awesome episode. Katie Dippold I think actually was one of my favorite guests. She added to it without being overbearing, and made some hilarious observations

You should definitely check out her classic appearance on Improv 4 Humans if you haven't heard it already. Her and Andy Daly and Brian Huskey = hilarious. Plus her infamous skit from the titular "Driving Yellow Jackets" ep is one of Besser's favorites, as he admitted to later on a Best Of episode I think:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/driving-yellow-jackets/

• Like 2

I just logged in right now to voice the same opinion. I'm halfway into LOL and it hurts. I simply cannot finish this one... its BAD.

I had the same feeling, but I just finished this Festival of Lunacy this morning after saying I couldn't get through it a few days ago.

Oh boy...

Seriously everyone, if you can enjoy HDTGM without seeing a movie first, now is the time to play that card. I figured, after chicken fingering it couldn't possibly get worse; I was mistaken. Actually LOL (or as I like to call it Shitty Parents Raising Their Shitty Kids:the Movie) does not get worse, it just seems to go on and on and on...

To quote Lola's friend's mom: "This is garbage! GARBAGE!"

I wish Tony Manero would strut over and punch everyone in the peehole who was involved with this movie.

• Like 1

There's also that Doors song.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Which made me wonder ... is this movie Sylvester Stallone's homage to Apocalypse Now? With Broadway instead of Vietnam?

This might have been suggested in the show, but I definitely think Satan's Alley is the story of the movie Staying Alive. If the Frank songs were written in real time as events unfolded, there's no reason the broadway show couldn't be choreographed in real time as well. I also think Sly was verrrrry happy with himself when he made sure both the movie and the show have the same initials, "S.A."

• Like 2

I was at the show (it was truly a magical experience) and I had a very, VERY important question that I didn't get to ask.

1. Patrick Swayze is in this film, which is set in New York.

2. Dalton, Swayze's character in Road House, is driving a car with New York plates and went to NYU (which, as we all recall, is in his medical file for some reason).

3. Given these facts, should we posit that this film hints at Dalton's career in dance before he becomes Sam Elliot's protege and the baddest-ass cooler in the world? This would explain his astonishing shoulder work with which he seduces Kelly Lynch's character, as well as his battle with bizarro Patrick Duffy that looks like a dance-fight.

• Like 7

I was at the show (it was truly a magical experience) and I had a very, VERY important question that I didn't get to ask.

1. Patrick Swayze is in this film, which is set in New York.

2. Dalton, Swayze's character in Road House, is driving a car with New York plates and went to NYU (which, as we all recall, is in his medical file for some reason).

3. Given these facts, should we posit that this film hints at Dalton's career in dance before he becomes Sam Elliot's protege and the baddest-ass cooler in the world? This would explain his astonishing shoulder work with which he seduces Kelly Lynch's character, as well as his battle with bizarro Patrick Duffy that looks like a dance-fight.

*slow clap*

Well.

Done.

Sir.

Given these facts, should we posit that this film hints at Dalton's career in dance before he becomes Sam Elliot's protege and the baddest-ass cooler in the world?

I don't see how we can't.

• Like 1

]

I could not help myself. that song sort of popped in my head, when I read your comment.

Notice that for the name of the female character whom the protagonist physically and emotionally uses, abuses, and abandons, Stallone chose "Jackie," which is also his mother's name. You could write a whole textbook on the Freudian implications. (I wouldn't read it.)

• Like 4

This might have been suggested in the show, but I definitely think Satan's Alley is the story of the movie Staying Alive. If the Frank songs were written in real time as events unfolded, there's no reason the broadway show couldn't be choreographed in real time as well. I also think Sly was verrrrry happy with himself when he made sure both the movie and the show have the same initials, "S.A."

As we are recognizing the contribution of individual letters, I congratulate "g" for being restored to the end of the word "Stayin'" in the title for the film, in contrast to the song. I am unable to interpret the significance of avoiding the apostrophe. Would that have been way too informal? Was this the author's choice or a studio demand?