🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 93 — Staying Alive: LIVE!

In the C&O department, they kept referring to the British actress (and her character, who was apparently named Laura) as "Fiona" Hughes, but it's actually Finola.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Squarespace slogan is "A better Web starts with your website", and Paul keeps saying 'website' twice.

• Like 1

In the C&O department, they kept referring to the British actress (and her character, who was apparently named Laura) as "Fiona" Hughes, but it's actually Finola.

Yeah! That bugged me when I listened to the show, but forgot to mention it here on the forums.

Fun Fact: I only know Finola Hughes from the "Generation X" made-for-TV movie. She played Emma Frost. I like comic books.

• Like 2

Whoa! I was not aware that existed, or more likely (given that this was apparently right around my peak comic fandom), was VERY aware, and forgot in the intervening 18 years.

• Like 1

Whoa! I was not aware that existed, or more likely (given that this was apparently right around my peak comic fandom), was VERY aware, and forgot in the intervening 18 years.

You can watch the entire thing on Youtube. It's not very good, but 90s nostalgia is finally a thing, so you might enjoy it for that.

• Like 1

You can watch the entire thing on Youtube. It's not very good, but 90s nostalgia is finally a thing, so you might enjoy it for that.

It turns out asking Matt Frewer to ripoff Jim Carrey's Riddler from Batman Forever wasn't good idea -- Who knew?

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Joe!

Yeah, I remember watching this on TV at the height of my enthusiasm for the X-books--and at an age where you pretty much like every movie you see--and my poor little mind working so hard to try justify and enjoy it. I also remember it being the first movie I was aware of whitewashing. It was a real "loss of innocence" experience for me.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks. I actually checked to see if it was on Netflix (now seeing that it's a pilot rather than just a movie, I see why it's not). I think I can handle 90 minutes of a shitty movie, but not in shitty YouTube quality.

Y'know, there's this urban legend I heard about where people have died mysteriously seven days after watching a tape with "LOL" on it. It also had some weird ghost girl shit on it, but I'm positive it was the "LOL" part that did the damage.

I wish I did, instead the movie plays every time I close my eyes.

This has to be mentioned. Back in 2010 Australian radio DJ's Hamish & Andy put together a sold out concert for Frank Stallone that involved flying him over, trying to hook him up with one of their mums, having an open top car procession through the streets of Melbourne and having him play to a 2,000 full forum.

The half leather jackets were a superb touch.

• Like 1

The movie "Staying Alive" was named after the song "Stayin' Alive" because the song lyrics obviously were used as a treatment for the screenplay:

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk

I'm a woman's man no time to talk

Music loud and women warm

I've been kicked around, since I was born

And now it's all right, it's okay

And you may look the other way

We can try to understand

The New York times' effect on man

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

Well now, I get low and I get high

And if I can't get either, I really try

Got the wings of Heaven on my shoes

I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose

You know it's all right, it's okay

I'll live to see another day

We can try to understand

The New York times' effect on man

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

Life's goin' nowhere, somebody help me

Somebody help me, yeah

Life's goin' nowhere, somebody help me, yeah

Stayin' alive

[Rinse. Repeat.]

Interesting, these lyrics were also source material for "Godzilla" (1998) and the movie about Jayson Blair, "Fragile Trust." By the way, to truly appreciate these lyrics, you must read them aloud, sans music.

Everyone told me not to watch "LOL" and I didn't listen. It was a terrible, terrible mistake. This movie is very bad, and not in a wonderful, entertaining way, but in a "Last Airbender" kind of way. I don't understand how this got made, I don't know who the intended audience is, and I feel awful for having spent my time watching it. The kicker is going to be that this was all a sick joke to get us rubes to watch this monstrosity and the gang is talking about something great instead.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that an early scene in Saturday Night Fever featured a Rocky poster on the protagonist's wall. Might that serve as an esoteric piece of the puzzle that is the question How Did Staying Alive Get Made?

Let's not forget that an early scene in Saturday Night Fever featured a Rocky poster on the protagonist's wall. Might that serve as an esoteric piece of the puzzle that is the question How Did Staying Alive Get Made?

John G. Avildsen (director of Rocky) was originally set to direct Saturday Night Fever. He was fired before principal photography began.

I had to check to see if my local library system has the movie, since that is the first place to look for it, and it brought me so much glee to see not only that they do, but only on VHS.

Now I must see if they have the Choose You Own Adventure book.

• Like 2

Corrections and omissions: Paul, there IS another film that starts with the song lyrics "This is the end." It's Apocalypse Now, of course. Which makes Sly and Frank basically the same as Francis and Jim!

Have I missed something, is there no podcast this week?

My Tuesday was empty, left to my own thoughts... I got some important stuff done!

This is an OUTRAGE!!!

Paul's been going through some changes

I fail to see what a picture of Britney Spears has to do with Paul's podcasting activity. ;)

• Like 3

So yeah, I'm probably totally nuts:

I totally believe that this movie takes place in Tony Manero's head on his deathbed. You bookend the movie with "This Is The End" for crying out loud. I know somebody in the live show remarked that the whole movie had a dream-like quality to it. That's why no matter what he does, he comes off ahead of where he was before. Perhaps he's in a coma, alone with whatever might be running through his head as his life is slipping away from him.

When he disappears at the end of the movie, that's him dying in real life. He's "Staying Alive" just long enough to live out his dream in his head, and then he struts into the afterlife.

Ok, now that I've typed it out, it seems really stupid, but when I was listening to the show in afternoon traffic, it made sense.

• Like 1

Earwolf posted a brief snippet of it on their Instagram feed.

so damn awesome! i had downloaded the superman live video podcast awhile ago but cant seem to find it anywhere. anyone see it around recently?

Not sure if everyone has heard this or not, but Katie Dippold has been hired to write Ghostbusters 3! So weird to have a movie you are actively dreading, become one you are eagerly anticipating!

• Like 1