🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
justinmh05

Songs of Innocence - first impressions?

Okay, I was so ready for this album to be terrible - but upon first listen... I like it a lot!

Much, much better than the last two records in my opinion. And oddly - they didn't go with a radical shift like I think most people expected.

It feels quite like what they were going for on the last two records - but this time it's a fully formed vision, not half-baked.

It seems like each song has its own vibe, with unifying thematic and musical elements tying it together in a much more successful way than on How to Dismantle and No Line.

I cannot wait to hear Adam Scott Aukerman re-form from the cosmos to break this sucker down track-by-track.

(PS - Apple could have thrown in some fucking t-shirts)

• Like 3

I feel I need to have heard of the new U2 album before I actually listen to the album. I think it's high time the Scotts come out or retirement. Looking forward to finding out the new line-up of the band as well as some good film recommendations.

Here's to a good ep.

• Like 4

This is the most excited I've ever been about a potential podcast.

After Kulap spilled the beans about Lauren Lapkus's upcoming Earwolf show (on last week's Two Charted), I just don't know anymore!

• Like 4

After Kulap spilled the beans about Lauren Lapkus's upcoming Earwolf show (on last week's Two Charted), I just don't know anymore!

Wait... Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? © Jon Wurster

I've only started to listen to U2 thanks to this podcast. I'm actually pretty impressed with the album so far. In another thread, peeps are talking about the goofy song titles, which is fair, but the songs generally are solid regardless.

WOW. I did not know that.

This is the first time I've not hated listening to U2 in my 24 years on Earth (I cannot say where I was prior to that).

And I wouldn't have even bothered downloading despite it being free if it weren't for Scott & Scott and Engineer Cody Cody.

I'm a little surprised how much love I'm seeing so far for the album...not that I don't like it, but this doesn't sound like a u2 album (other than Bono being Bono). My overall impressions are that they're trying to go for a sound like the black keys (garage rock with fuzzy guitar and bass lines that are verging on funky), and there are a lot of missed opportunities for classic u2 instrumental work. Also I think I liked the second half more than the first half (I've shown the split below). Here's my track by track opinion:

1) Good, but just good, not amazing. And if your track 1 comes in at "meh" then just give up.

2) Pretty decent...a good example of the new u2 sound...combines some of the best elements of their Joshua Tree sound with the best elements of Atomic Bomb

3) Who in the right mind gave them the go ahead to keep that intro vocal work. Ba-Ba-Barbara, Santa Barbara?!?!? Christ, and to think I considered defending uno dos tres catorce...but even forgiving that, the synth work on it is so overpowering and poorly mixed (in addition to being dull)

4) 2nd favorite song. This is just high quality rock n roll music.

5) Sounds like classic u2, but still it's almost too generic...like they rushed it out the door and theres a bunch of unfinished instrumental work that should have been added. Maybe it's just too repetative.

---------

6) Decent song, sounds like the black keys, not that thats a bad thing.

7) The intro vocal effect is god awful...but it sounds like classic u2. It's nitpicky but I don't like the vocal editing right as it goes into the chorus, it's clearly a dead stop in the one take as the other comes one and it just doesn't fit in an album going for that gritty-real sound as opposed to something that's been studio polished by a half dozen producers

8) Probably my favorite song on the album, and it's pretty Black Keys-y...still think it could have used a little strings &/or brass to bring out that epic feeling they're going for

9) So many missed opportunites for slow building drums and percussion in the background at the beginning, and just when edge gets going on the guitar it fizzles out so hard...and his guitar work was pretty meh overall

10) Like it, another example of the Black Keys-esque sound

11) Nothing special, and I didn't expect anything special.

OK, I'm a little worried that this isn't going to be a horrible album. Hopefully the Scotts can still find something to talk about, like the Eagles.

• Like 1

Oh my god, what

From what Kulap said, it sounds like it's going to be a different guest acting as a host each episode (of their own show maybe?) and Lauren playing a character (as a guest of the show?). Bet it will be amazing.

From what Kulap said, it sounds like it's going to be a different guest acting as a host each episode (of their own show maybe?) and Lauren playing a character (as a guest of the show?). Bet it will be amazing.

That might explain Jessica St Clair's tweet today asking for love advice questions for Wompler and Listler.

Like a Podcast Pilot Project?

I feel like this album is a better execution of what they were going for with No Line, especially with all of the experimentation and attempt at being a little edgier. It's also more emotionally accessible because the lyrics are more personal.

In my opinion, this effectively breaks off All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atom Bomb into their own two-album group.

I like this album. It has good songs that are catchy and the lyrics are good and it's good and I like it.

This album is better than it has any right to be. I think I'm enjoying it because it doesn't sound like typical U2. I think it has a lot to do with Danger Mouse's involvement.

I think most albums have a right to be good. This is America!

But I guess they're from Ireland so yeah.

I think most albums have a right to be good. This is America!

But I guess they're from Ireland so yeah.

Liverpool Ireland to be exact!

• Like 1

Did anybody read Bono's message on their website?

"Remember us? Pleased to announce myself, Edge, Adam and Larry have finally given birth to our new baby… Songs of Innocence. It’s been a while."

It's like they listen to the show!

• Like 1

Did anybody read Bono's message on their website?

"Remember us? Pleased to announce myself, Edge, Adam and Larry have finally given birth to our new baby… Songs of Innocence. It’s been a while."

It's like they listen to the show!

It's a sign tppatterson123! Bono has to be on the show now!

By the way, would you be interested in fighting for me?

U2-OSX1-e1410377928520.jpg

I bet the Scotts are gonna Beyonce/U2 the new episode.

One Wednesday morning you'll just wake up, and it'll be out.

• Like 3