🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 92 — Suck It With Your Mandibles

This week, after VERY SHORT donor & Chuck Mangione segments, special guest Dan Telfer & the gang continues down the path into night. They run afoul of Cadillac, Horse & Hearse sized gold ants & and the elusive actor who played JFK. Will the gang spider climb to safety in the trees? Or, regular climb?

• Like 1

Have only listened to the intro, but had to jump in here to say: I love the bullshit. Brian hit the nail on the head—NP very much has the cadence of what in my experience a good home campaign with people who enjoy each other's company. If I wanted to just hear no-nonsense, uniterrupted, start to finish gameplay with everyone taking things super seriously, there are a million dry, gameplay-focused "live-play" podcasts out there I could listen to. I don't. I listen to Nerd Poker, where I can hear a bunch of talented funny people have a lot of fun and occasionally roll some dice.

• Like 5

Yeah sometimes it's frustrating, and having supreme bullshitter Blaine at the controls has led to some epic marathons of it, but the show wouldn't be the same without it.

• Like 2

I really think it needs to be said: this episode was fucking great. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but there was a real rhythm there that may have been missing in the last few episodes.

I really don't want these guys to feel too much pressure to cut down on the bullshit, because I really enjoy it, but it felt like they found their groove on this one.

FWIW, ants do "swim". It's actually that they weigh so little that they don't break the water to fall in. I am not sure if that would hold true for giant ants. I don't think so. I think water holds together based on weight applied in the surface area, but I do not know for sure.

Well, if we're applying physics, the ants would collapse under their own weight and couldn't breathe, so...

(Insect respiration operates on principles that don't scale much larger than, well, three largest real insects. And the seemingly amazing proportional strength of ants has to do with the fact that muscle strength increases proportionate to cross section-the square of linear dimension-while weight increases with volume-that ids, the cube of linear dimension. This means as you scale up weight increases much faster than strength.)

Fortunately, we're in a world with wizards and magic.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have listened to every episode of Nerd Poker so this was pretty fucking cool, and it was great just to scrape the rust off my dice.

• Like 9

Dave Anthony is the greatest 'guest' ever, but I wish Dan Telfer would just join the cast permanently. With Gerry's indefinite absence, something has been missing from the show that I love so dear. Dan Telfer filled that void this week. He's fucking hilarious and knows the game! MORE!!

• Like 2

I really think it needs to be said: this episode was fucking great. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but there was a real rhythm there that may have been missing in the last few episodes.

it was this guy:

Thanks! I have listened to every episode of Nerd Poker so this was pretty fucking cool, and it was great just to scrape the rust off my dice.

Dave Anthony is the greatest 'guest' ever, but I wish Dan Telfer would just join the cast permanently. With Gerry's indefinite absence, something has been missing from the show that I love so dear. Dan Telfer filled that void this week. He's fucking hilarious and knows the game! MORE!!

This 100%. Dan was great - he added so much to the episode, and I enjoyed this one the most since Blaine took over as DM. Who can make this happen? Dan, tell them the people want you IN for good!

• Like 2

I hope you guys enjoyed the secret message I sent loyal listeners through a code made up of ums and ahs WAIT WHAT THE FUCK

• Like 8

Blaine's comment about the grenade on the ants making a sound like putting an M80 in a dungeness crab was hilarious. Part of me said, "Of course everybody has done that." The other part of me understood completely what that would sound like.

Edited out the ums and ahs again, of which there were about 50% less this time. I'll probably stop doing it since there's a good chance it'll get taken down though.

https://soundcloud.c...andibles-edited

uuuuuugh! get a new hobby dude. no one fucking cares but you, you goon. By all means, edit shit apart to your hearts content but don't come here like you're doing everyone a favor.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this