🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 17 — Songs of Innocence

Was this anti-anti-comedy? They actually just sat there and talked about U2 the whole time as if any of us give a shit. U2 and Apple are just shallow marketing campaigns for old white dudes to get rich with. Go back to gross anus jokes.

I can understand Scott being interested in this fiasco since he's venturing into marketing with Midroll, but why on earth would anybody care what Adam Scott thinks of the hook in track 3?

I can understand Scott being interested in this fiasco since he's venturing into marketing with Midroll, but why on earth would anybody care what Adam Scott thinks of the hook in track 3?

Because it's high quality rock and roll, uh, music.

• Like 4

Was this anti-anti-comedy? They actually just sat there and talked about U2 the whole time as if any of us give a shit.

What's with the criticism all of the sudden? There's almost an hour of meta-podcast-madness, irrelevant banter and goofing around before they even get to the album! At the end of a day, if they like U2 and their sourpuss-influenced dad-rock, um, music, let them talk about it. It's been a while that this has been the preface for this comprehensive and encyclopedic compendium of all things U2 that is this podcast. Take it for what it is—I know I do and I could care less about U2.

• Like 3

Was this anti-anti-comedy? They actually just sat there and talked about U2 the whole time as if any of us give a shit. U2 and Apple are just shallow marketing campaigns for old white dudes to get rich with. Go back to gross anus jokes.

What's with the criticism all of the sudden? There's almost an hour of meta-podcast-madness, irrelevant banter and goofing around before they even get to the album! At the end of a day, if they like U2 and their sourpuss-influenced dad-rock, um, music, let them talk about it. It's been a while that this has been the preface for this comprehensive and encyclopedic compendium of all things U2 that is this podcast. Take it for what it is—I know I do and I could care less about U2.

I think this was this guy's stab at anti-anti-anti-comedy, which is basically being super serious about an absurd podcast.

• Like 4

Important work these men do. Its the shows within the shows within the talkings of U2. A high C+ to the nth top shirf great Scotts' great bits and is ska now back? It has far been too a long while. And I feel that now U2 has mostly arrived- cliffhanger for ep 18. The engineers always get the best seats, nice job engine ears of Cody

the actual cover of Songs of Innocence has now become public... it's simply the son of Larry Mullen Sr. intimately embracing the son of Larry Mullen Jr.

e25d915f.jpg

(get on it, photoshoppers)

• Like 2

the actual cover of Songs of Innocence has now become public... it's simply the son of Larry Mullen Sr. intimately embracing the son of Larry Mullen Jr.

e25d915f.jpg

(get on it, photoshoppers)

This is worthy of a 3 hour episode, with 2 hours of it just being Scott and Scott saying 'What. The. Fuck'. Even by U2's standards, this is a disaster.

• Like 2

of course they're gonna get tons of shit for it (mostly just because they're U2), but I actually like it a lot. aesthetically, it feels like something between the Boy and Joshua Tree covers... and it definitely fits the tone of the album much better than a plain white LP sleeve did.

A couple reactions I had to their discussion of the album:

1) "Danger Mouse did a great job producing it"

I disagree. I think the production is thin, stale, and amateurish, with the vocals way too far out in front. The "dirty" guitar in The Miracles does not blend in at all with the other instruments. That song in particular sounds like garbage. The album has ZERO energy. I was shocked that they said the opposite.

2) "Bono's singing sounds great"

Except it's CLEARLY been pitch-corrected during the high notes of "Raised by Wolves". Like, it's REALLY obvious and it sounds bad.

3) "The album cover doesn't look like anything else out there"

Yeah, except for Yeezus and the third System of a Down album.

It's a decent album, though. I agree that Bono's melody game is tight on this one.

Great ep, though. C+. I'm excited that they're going to keep making at least a few more episodes!

• Like 1

Nailed it.

If I had to name that photo, it would be "Big Mullen With Dreams of Being a Little Mullen".

• Like 2

Except it's CLEARLY been pitch-corrected during the high notes of "Raised by Wolves". Like, it's REALLY obvious and it sounds bad.

maybe it's just me, but for me... I thought that was intentional. the first time I heard the song, it's one of the things that immediately hooked me. the first "raised by wolves" in the chorus sounds a little higher than the second and, as far as I can tell, that's mostly Bono with a small touch of a pitch-shift for a piercing effect. most people are vehemently against auto-tune and pitch-shifting of any sort, but if used conservatively (in the case of "Raised by Wolves") or with deliberate artistic purpose, I think it can add something compelling to a song.

(see "Draag" by Brainiac, "Impossible Soul" by Sufjan Stevens & "California English" by Vampire Weekend for a few examples of the latter)

of course they're gonna get tons of shit for it (mostly just because they're U2), but I actually like it a lot. aesthetically, it feels like something between the Boy and Joshua Tree covers... and it definitely fits the tone of the album much better than a plain white LP sleeve did.

I think it should be the Larry photo in the album's booklet, like when an album's booklet has portraits of each member of the band, but it shouldn't be the cover of the album. Mind you, let's not forget that Adam Clay-2000lbs gets his old chap out on the Achtung Baby booklet, so it definitely could have been worse.

This is happening because I couldn't come up with a compelling reason not to.

1XFitj9.png

ywJM6Vq.png

• Like 7

It took a few hours but I now have words. One of these would definitely be my wallpaper at work were it not for the fact that, should anyone see them, they would be unexplainable.

• Like 2

Ha, I started to work on mine at work and then bailed, opting to finish at home and not risk someone walking up behind me and my PC.

Also A New Duck welcome to the forums, great job on the artwork. The merging of both was brilliant. Be sure and post those on Twitter.

• Like 1

I liked the cover design that came with the free digital version of S.O.I. The image of a white sticker peaking out of a round hole in a white record sleeve looked just like the selection wheel of an iPod.

• Like 1

Also A New Duck welcome to the forums, great job on the artwork. The merging of both was brilliant. Be sure and post those on Twitter.

Coming from THE Bernard Shakey, this means a lot. Thanks, yo.

Do you have one of them Twitterboxes?

• Like 1