🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

halloween suggestions

So, in theory, today's minisode should be announcing the Halloween movie, right? Because next week would be the last full episode of October.

Monkey Shines (1988)

ta66ns.jpg

That movie was great! I was expecting the worst but ended up enjoying it a lot. the dvd poster art makes it seem really low budget bad horror movie but it was far from it.

The best scene in the film is when budgie's attack!

From what I remember of Monkey Shines there was a lot of sneering and for some reason I have a problem with movies with a lot of sneering.

Not sure if it qualifies as a horror movie strictly speaking, but....

Arnold Schwarzeneggar vs Gabriel Byrne

-----In------

End of Days (1999)

IMDB synopses:

At the end of the century, Satan visits New York in search of a bride. It's up to an ex-cop who now runs an elite security outfit to stop him.

Doesn't the devil like bang a mom and daughter at the same time and they morph into each other or something? That is all I remember from watching that movie like 10 years ago.

anyone who says they don't pick forum talked about films in your face yo!

Wait a minute i think that was me... Oops.

• Like 2

Monkey Shines will be great.

I admit I was rooting for Maximum Overdrive though, because King apparently doesn't know the difference between mechanical power, electrical power, magic, telekinesis. It's literally all the same to him. Only 3 out of 4 of those things are real Mr. King!

A man is slain by a soda machine. The most otherwordly looking soda machine I have ever seen in my life. One look at this soda machine tells you it's a pneumatically powered death machine designed primarily to kill and the dispensing of soda's was a real afterthought . Even if it weren't overtaken by a malign electrically based alien entity, it's probably been responsible for a lot of accidental deaths at the neighborhood ballpark.

Have you guys notice that when you start watching really really bad movies, films like Monkey shines seem really good.

I am sure at some point in time Maximum Overdrive will get the full HDTGM THX treatment it deserves.

I wish Stephen King would do a directors cut with extra commentary track explaining him self with this movie. I would blind buy that one.

• Like 1

I think what is so confusing about Maximum Overdrive, is that nothing that the alien manipulates has anything to do with electricity. So despite the alien being a bizarro electrical entity, all it's exhibited powers are infact telekinetic in nature. King seems to not notice this. He literally thinks telekinesis and electricity are the SAME indefinable force, ie Magic! Seriously, that's the only explanation.

I also like Gremlin Truck that fails to raise or furrow any brows. Remember seeing those things all over the roads in the 80's? No you don't, cause it's freakin' ridiculous. It's an 18-wheeler that could only have been conceived to anthropomorphize the bodiless evil entity possessing it. Who was the design engineer that came up with this, and what twisted occult stuff was he into, film? Did he already have some existing plan for imbuing this truck with a demonic entity? Was this truck already exorcised once?

Nakist and plan9 will like this

So many memories in this top 10 list of so bad they're good.

At some point they got to do maximum overdrive and Flash Gordon.

• Like 1

Too bad they didn't do Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers with Paul Rudd as a guest. It was a theatrically cut mess and Rudds debut before clueless I believe.

Too bad they didn't do Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers with Paul Rudd as a guest. It was a theatrically cut mess and Rudds debut before clueless I believe.

I think that this was finished first but came out second because of re-jiggering that had to be done following Donald Pleasence's death. In fact, I'm watching the extras on the super enormous Blu-Ray box set RIGHT now, and the actress that plays the brother's girlfriend is talking about how he left at one point to audition for "Clueless" during the filming. She's also Edgar Wright's interior designer.

Nakist and plan9 will like this

So many memories in this top 10 list of so bad they're good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyLadj5g0g

At some point they got to do maximum overdrive and Flash Gordon.

Putting Flash Gordon in there is a sin. Flash Gordon IS INDEED awesome.

I think they need to start doing two Halloween episodes each October. There are just too many good genre films for this podcast to limit them to one per year.

• Like 1

have you guys notice that when you start watching really really bad movies, films like Monkey shines seem good.

I am sure at some point in time Maximum Overdrive will get the full HDTGM THX treatment it deserves.

I wish Stephen King would do a directors cut with extra commentary track explaining him self with this movie. I'd blind buy that one up.

Yeah, that would be hilarious.

"So, now the 'adults' are talking. I like to season my adult dialogue with a lot of vulgarity...that way you know it's serious and 'adult talk'. I don't want it to come off like a bunch of pre-pubescents discoverying curse-words for the first time and going super overboard. I feel I have a real gentle hand here. After-all, I don't want my characters to come off as one-dimensional morons who can only elucidate a scene through a monosylabbic shout of profanity."

"So here, I wanted Emilio to be real "aw, what the f***?!". But how to communicate, "aw, what the f***?!" to the audience? Inspiration struck when Emilio was looking at the script and said, "aw, what the f***?!". I was like, "Nailed it.", and we just incorporated it into the script."

• Like 1

Yeah, that would be hilarious.

"So, now the 'adults' are talking. I like to season my adult dialogue with a lot of vulgarity...that way you know it's serious and 'adult talk'. I don't want it to come off like a bunch of pre-pubescents discoverying curse-words for the first time and going super overboard. I feel I have a real gentle hand here. After-all, I don't want my characters to come off as one-dimensional morons who can only elucidate a scene through a monosylabbic shout of profanity."

"So here, I wanted Emilio to be real "aw, what the f***?!". But how to communicate, "aw, what the f***?!" to the audience? Inspiration struck when Emilio was looking at the script and said, "aw, what the f***?!". I was like, "Nailed it.", and we just incorporated it into the script."

Sounds like Rob Zombie's creative process.

I don't know about that. I mean, there weren't nearly enough instances of someone threatening to skull fuck someone else at the dinner table.

have you guys notice that when you start watching really really bad movies, films like Monkey shines seem good.

I wish Stephen King would do a directors cut with extra commentary track explaining him self with this movie. I'd blind buy that one up.

If you buy the book Stephen King Movie FAQ it goes into some detail about how this movie was created, especially since King so was involved in it. The book itself is pretty good going through all of his movies and the way Dino de Laurentis bought every book right he could in order to squeeze every penny he could get out of the King brand.

• Like 1

I don't know about that. I mean, there weren't nearly enough instances of someone threatening to skull fuck someone else at the dinner table.

I bet Rob Zombie is a real proponent of Chekhov's gun.

"If there is a skull-fuck in the first act, it must return in the third. Whether that skull now be fucking someone else, or the skull-fucker himself is skull-fucked. I am told this is called irony...I call it a real good excuse to force another skull-fucking. It's just real writer's skull-fuck 101. Anyway, this concludes my TED talk, thank you for your time ladies and gentleman."

<roar of applause>

• Like 2