🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I came across Gunday (Outlaws) after reading an article about on FiveThirtyEight explaining why it is (currently) the lowest rated film on IMDb. (See article here: http://fivethirtyeig...-movie-on-imdb/) Right now, the movie sits at a rating of 1.7. The next lowest is Birdemic: Shock & Terror at 1.8. Basically, the film angered a very vocal group that felt the film misrepresented India's role in Bangladesh Liberation War (BLW). Through the magic of the Internet 40,000+ gave the film a "1" score on IMDb (and appear to have done a similar thing on Netflix where it's also rated "1-star"). I don't know much about the BLW or if the movie's representation of it is false or accurate, but judging the movie on it's own terms it is fantastic.

The movie itself has little to do the with the BLW, as it it used mostly to introduce us to the two main characters: two spunky orphans who turn to crime to survive. After a murder, the boys hop a train to Calcutta and the real story begins. Cut ahead fourteen years and they've become the biggest, baddest, handsomest, shirtlessiest outlaws in Calcutta. Wanted by the law, loved by the public. Eventually, the "best cop in Calcutta" (play by Irfan Khan, one of the most famous Indian actors) is put on the case and is determined to bring the duo down. To add to the chaos, the two men fall in love with the same girl!! Will they get caught? Who will win the love of the beautiful cabaret dancer? To be fair, the story is pretty dumb, but for two and a half hours (yeah, it's a bit too long) feelings and shirts are thrown about and, in the end, lives are changed and lessons are learned.

This movie has nearly every element a movie can have: crime, rags-to-riches, comedy, revenge, romance, action, melodrama and big, ridiculous musical numbers that Bollywood is known for. If it'd only had a ghost or a creature from some darkly-colored lagoon it'd truly have everything and would have been a ten-quadrant film. Gunday is great in much that same ways as Fast & Furious 5 & 6: they throw every thing in the film, race at 100-mph and take it completely seriously. Just like in those film it works wonderfully!

Oh, and there's slow-mo running. So much slow-mo running!

This movie is great!

• Like 1

I haven't seen this yet, but I see that it's #4 on the IMDB bottom 100 and it's on Netflix instant. Has anyone seen this film yet? Given that this movie is 150 minutes in Hindi I doubt that they'll pick this movie to do, but I was curious to hear opinions from the forum. The "People Who Liked This Also Liked..." includes Birdemic so I wonder if it's so bad it's good material. Honestly, the trailer doesn't make it look terrible

Sign in to follow this