🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 94 — Glitter: LIVE!

It’s a special HDTGM All-Stars episode with guest co-hosts Adam Scott & Casey Wilson as well as special guest Dan Levy and they’re talking all about Mariah Carey’s Glitter. Recorded LIVE at Largo in Los Angeles, we get into why this movie is set in the 80s, what the deal is with Mariah’s friends Da Brat & the other one, Dice’s death, and the true meaning of magical realism from the director’s commentary track of the film. Plus, we ask what happened to Mariah’s cat and talk about the transitions during audience Q&As!

Pick up your copy of Deadpool Bi-Annual #1 written by Paul & Nick Giovannetti at www.amazon.com or wherever comic books are sold!

Make sure to tune into the brand new season of The League on Wednesday nights at 10pm over on FXX and check out The Hotwives of Orlando now over at www.hulu.com!

Also, check out Jason Mantzoukas in “They Came Together” on VOD, June Diane Raphael & Casey Wilson in ASS BACKWARDS for free on Netflix & HULU & Paul in OJ: The Musical available on VOD & iTunes! Don’t forget to grab yourself a brand new HDTGM Daredevil T-shirt over at the Earwolf store and a copy of Paul’s comic book Aliens Vs. Parker now available at www.amazon.com!

I am 99% sure that the guy playing Dice is Dan Van Kirk who impersonates Mark Whalberg on Doug Loves Movies?

I really felt the sting of June's absence when the homeless woman/mother thing got brought up.

I just know June would have had the most insane theory about it and I really want to hear it :(

• Like 11

Regarding Mariah Carey's claims about 9/11 ruining this movie.

This film was released on September 21st, 2001. (week 38)

Some data via boxofficemojo.com

Sep. 28–Oct. 4 $94,625,569 +24.5%

Sep. 21–27 $76,015,096 -9.1%

Sep. 14–20 $83,634,364 -9.5%

Sep. 7–13 $92,421,954 -31.4%

So the actual week of September 11th there was a huge drop in receipts versus the week before (as you would expect). In the weeks following, revenue continued to decrease. I think this can likely be chalked up to the fact that there weren't any great movies released on these weekends (Hardball, The Glass House,Glitter,Megiddo: The Omega Code II).

The next week brought some legitimate draws

Don't Say a Word $22,167,881

Zoolander $18,820,552

Hearts in Atlantis $11,418,341

Not that anyone actually bought into the idea that the failure was 9/11 based, but he data debunks it

• Like 2

People... the whole point of having a microphone is so that you don't have to scream itno it. I'm looking at you, Casey and Dan.

Otherwise, great episode.

• Like 4

I haven't listened yet, but I am so sad that June and Jason were not there. I guess this means that they missed LOL as well - that's a real shame.

Adam Scott and Casey Wilson are great though.

• Like 2

I started an account just for this. Because I have a lot to say. A lot of feelings.

1) Dice was the non-Christian Bale main guy in the cinematic perfection that was Newsies. He also used to be married to Kerry Washington.

2) How did NO ONE talk about how the little Mariah's voice at the beginning was just grown-up Mariah's voice sped up and chipmunked?

3) More attention must be paid to the music video director's line: "Is she black? Is she white? We do not know. She is exotic. I want to see more of her breasts." It is the greatest line in the history of badgreat movies. It's up there with "Pain don't hurt." I didn't even have to look it up just now to type it. It's been emblazoned in my brain since college.

4) If you were curious what cuisine pairs best with this movie, it's Pizza Rolls. Watch this movie while eating Pizza Rolls. This movie is the Pizza Rolls of movies. Delightful, then you feel sick for a while after.

Edit: JK guys, I got Max Beesley confused with David Moscow. How did I do that? I HAVE NO IDEA. Neither of these people matter. Just don't worry about it.

• Like 13

Okay, after I made the Elton John lookalike comment, I got really paranoid that I had just imagined it. But look, I'm not crazy! http://imgur.com/suVLVsl Dice is inexplicably wearing glasses in just one random scene.

LOVE IT!! I saw it too, but my first thought was "They're showing that they've reached a certain level of success by having Dice wear sunglasses indoors, and a turtleneck!"

• Like 2

Okay, after I made the Elton John lookalike comment, I got really paranoid that I had just imagined it. But look, I'm not crazy!

http://imgur.com/suVLVsl

Dice is inexplicably wearing glasses in just one random scene.

This seems more like a case of Ol' Redge stealing his look FROM Glitter.

I want to believe.

• Like 1

Paul said on the intro that June and Jason will be back next week, but wasn't LOL discussed on the same night??

Also, if Jason needs some help "getting better", I'm available. I'll make him chicken soup, wash his white shirts and watch out for clowns while he sleeps.

• Like 5

Okay, after I made the Elton John lookalike comment, I got really paranoid that I had just imagined it. But look, I'm not crazy!

Looks like the bastard love child of Elton and Bono in my opinion

mariathemad: VINDICATED.

Paul said on the intro that June and Jason will be back next week, but wasn't LOL discussed on the same night??

Also, if Jason needs some help "getting better", I'm available. I'll make him chicken soup, wash his white shirts and watch out for clowns while he sleeps.

Yeah LOL was the second show that night, so I'm assuming that it might be the episode two weeks from now?

June was sick, but Jason wasn't there because there had been a death in his family. :(

• Like 1

I haven't heard the show yet, but I'm curious to see if they talk about the whole "We've just found out that you've been invited to perform at the USA Music Awards, and we better hurry, because you're going on in like TWENTY MINUTES" thing.

Okay, first of all I think you're right that the Mariah character had no real interest in the music business. Because when Duce mentions "Quincy" as an idol he not only has to tell her me means Quincy Jones, but who that is. Bear in mind this is supposed to be 1983, the year Thriller happened and when Off the Wall had already happened. There is no *way* anyone serious about a music career didn't know Q.

Also, one thing I noticed is the total tease when Mariah cheers her friends up after they've been fired by waving a credit card in their faces and you think it's going into a shopping montage but there's just one jump cut and boom, done.

And finally there's a strangely racist tone to the film in that thw white guy is consistently shown to know more about music than any of the black characters, who are all portrayed negatively in one way or another with the exception of Da Brat, who is a positive character but a stereotype.

• Like 2

My biggest issue with this movie is that there was no conflict! You need some kind of conflict so that when your character does succeed beyond expectations, the audience can sit back and say, "Wow, Glitter sure did Andy Dufresne the hell out of that river of crap. Good on you! Enjoy Zihuatanejo, you earned that shit!"

Instead, she just gets kind of shuffled along with everyone telling her, "You're the best!" and apparently she is..?

Adam brought up a good point when he asked something like, "Does she even want to be a singer?" and I would argue that she is apathetic at best. Dice asks her, "What is the biggest thing you ever dreamed for?" and she answers "I don't know." What do you mean, "you don't know?" That is ludicrous! I refuse to believe that anyone asked that question point blank, couldn't answer with something (e.g. I want to be a singer/writer/lawyer/shark wrestler). Fuck, she could have said "To find the mother who abandoned me." It might have been kind of a downer, but it would have at least convinced me she wasn't just a sentient robot powered by Auto-Tune.

After she writes her song about her mother and then hears Benet's equally sappy song at the awards show, he comes up to her wanting to do a song together. The movie tries to set him up as a real artist. She then goes into the studio with him and he starts playing this ballad on the piano, and I thought to myself, "Oh! This is the conflict. She doesn't want to be a bubblegum pop star, she wants to be a serious artist." Cut to the finished song...nope. It is the same pseudo-eighties wanna-do-it-all-night type bullshit she has been doing for the rest of the movie.

On a serious note, I hope June and Jason are both doing well and everything is going better for them. As great as the guests were, they were still sorely missed. :)

• Like 6

Also, one thing I noticed is the total tease when Mariah cheers her friends up after they've been fired by waving a credit card in their faces and you think it's going into a shopping montage but there's just one jump cut and boom, done.

Yeah, I was surprised they didn't bring that up. It stuck out to me as well, because it starts out as a real mopey, navel gazing scene. They just got fired, and she says-in all sincerity-"You two are like sisters to me. I don't want anything to change that." Her friends say, "Neither do I." Roach bag says something inconsequential, and then Gliiter is like, "Let's go shopping!"... so I can rub my success in your stupid faces! Cut to them in matching gold outfits. End scene.

I swear to God, I would say this movie was manic depressive except for that is about as high as it ever got. Mostly it was Marianas Trench, sea level.

On an unrelated note--My ears needed a cigarette after listening to the director's commentary. It felt like he was recording it in a candlelit room slathered in massage oil.

• Like 4