🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 94 — Glitter: LIVE!

With Adam Scott mentioning Torque in this episode, now more than ever I think we need an Earwolf special called How Did U Torqueing U2 To Me Get Made?

Where Scott and Scott and June and Jason and Paul all discuss the critically acclaimed* multi-award winning** masterpiece that is Torque plus special guest Joseph Kahn, who directed the film and has also worked with U2.

*This is inaccurate

**This is also inaccurate, although it received multiple nominations at the World Stunt Awards

And that could leave the door open for Kahn to come back and do an episode for "Detention". BAM.

Kaaaaahhhhhhhn!!!

• Like 2

I love June and Jason to pieces, but Adam and Casey were great stand-ins.

I can only assume they got sick after watching the monstrosity that is LOL.

Can the next mini ep be June and Jason discussing "LOL"? I'd hate to think that they watched it for nothing. My God, to have watched this movie in vain...

• Like 3

Also, if Jason needs some help "getting better", I'm available. I'll make him chicken soup, wash his white shirts and watch out for clowns while he sleeps.

After having to watch "LOL", I think that chicken soup would be the LAST thing he'd need. I'm happy to do a shift on clown patrol though.

• Like 4

Not to give this movie too much cred, but:

-The Yamaha DX7 was the first commercially successful digital synth first released in 1983.

(Though a big time pop producer probably would have already had a more expensive pro synth.)

-Some of the club scenes looked like they were filmed in the Limelight, an NYC club in a converted church that opened in 1983. The Limelight was the setting for the real-life club kid murder story that was later the subject of Macaulay Culkin vehicle, Party Monster, a film that should be considered for the podcast!

• Like 3

I think that guy @57:50 who asked a question is Tony Goldmark, he reviews theme park rides.

http://blip.tv/brows...-part-1-7027567

And I also think he has asked at least 1 question in another live episode... Maybe in "Howard the Duck" ( I dunno ) His voice sounded familiar to me...

With Adam Scott mentioning Torque in this episode, now more than ever I think we need an Earwolf special called How Did U Torqueing U2 To Me Get Made?

Where Scott and Scott and June and Jason and Paul all discuss the critically acclaimed* multi-award winning** masterpiece that is Torque plus special guest Joseph Kahn, who directed the film and has also worked with U2.

*This is inaccurate

**This is also inaccurate, although it received multiple nominations at the World Stunt Awards

And that could leave the door open for Kahn to come back and do an episode for "Detention". BAM.

Kaaaaahhhhhhhn!!!

* I Love LOVE "Detention"!

* I own a Clapton Davis T-shirt that I won via a facebook comment contest.

* I'm 100% on board with the Earwolf special called "How Did U Torqueing U2 To Me Get Made?" ( Kinda like an HDTGM and UTU2TM mash-up ) and the follow up "U2 Talkin' How Did Detention Got Made To Me?"

So I was in bed last night thinking about Terrance Howard (not the first time, won't be the last), and I came up with what I think is a legit question. Maybe I missed something....

So T-How sells Glitter's nebulous contract to Dice for 100k. Why did he do that when he knew empirically that Glitter was 1000x better than Silk? Wouldn't he stand to make considerably more money keeping her under him? It can't be based solely on looks (i.e. Silk is prettier, ergo she will sell more records) as they are pretty much on par with one another in terms of attractiveness (even if I do personally believe Mariah kind of looks like Christopher Mintz-Plasse in drag).

Then he gives Dice MONTHS! to pay up--which is pretty stand-up if you ask me. Finally, fed up, he confronts Glitter and says, "Dice owes me 100k," to which she replies, "We can get the money from the label." T-How then tells her, "I don't want money from the label, I want it from Dice." First of all, the label is basically Dice's employer at this point so where else would he get the money? Secondly, if you weren't waiting for him to get the money from the label or from her success, why wait at all? Why didn't he say to Dice at the initial conversation, "Where's your checkbook, Lucky Seven? Let's do this thing. Oh, you don't have the money? Get the fuck out of here, son."

Regardless, I think we can all agree that Dice was both a douche and a deadbeat, and T-How was totally justified in shooting him in the shoulder with the magic, trajectory-changing bullet that led to his death.

• Like 4

For some reason, the English version of the clip that I found had no sound, but you'll get the idea...

And he was deemed "not economically viable" 8 years BEFORE making "Glitter"!

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS:

Can we talk about how there seems to be some weird prostitution inferences / undertones in this movie??!

1 - Why does Dice need to *buy out* Billie like it's some kind of pimp exchange?

2 - What is happening to Billie's money?? On the same day she is on the cover of Billboard as having sold out Madison Square Gardens, there is a shot of her sitting in the her old bedroom at the girls house, which is tiny and poor. Can't a stadium rock star afford a fancy hotel / apartment / more then a one time shopping spree with the gals?

Also, why does Billie accuse Dice on their date of putting the moves on, but then she clearly makes the move when she leans in to kiss him?

It's almost as if this director / writer has adapted the Sylvester Stallone / Staying Alive mantra that women are just brainless garbage people. Either put them to work or push them aside so the men can get down to the real life business! Amiright??

• Like 2

2 - What is happening to Billie's money?? On the same day she is on the cover of Billboard as having sold out Madison Square Gardens, there is a shot of her sitting in the her old bedroom at the girls house, which is tiny and poor. Can't a stadium rock star afford a fancy hotel / apartment / more then a one time shopping spree with the gals?

To be fair, regardless of what they try to tell us, everyone is in so much of a rush that all of the events of the movie APPEAR to take place over about a week, which is hardly enough time to buy a house, change into a different shirt, or develop into anything more than a one-dimensional character. If you'll excuse me now, I have to go, because I'm on in five...

• Like 4

The only thing I found being a nod to the movie being set in the 80s would be Lionel Richie winning a crapton of awards, since that was the last time he was truly relevant.

To be fair, regardless of what they try to tell us, everyone is in so much of a rush that all of the events of the movie APPEAR to take place over about a week, which is hardly enough time to buy a house, change into a different shirt, or develop into anything more than a one-dimensional character. If you'll excuse me now, I have to go, because I'm on in five...

I'll call Dice for you and let him know...

What a terrible movie, I'd rather watch Staying Alive 1000 times.

• Like 3

lol. I feel like that commentary track wasn't even a guy talking about the movie. They finished the movie and said, "Fuck. We NEED some DVD Extras -- how quickly can we do a Director's Commentary?". Then they had some interns trick some guy into reading some words and sentences, took the audio to ProTools and cut it up and re-arranged it :)

Great ep, Paul! Way to take charge of things, and thanks for bringing us the "HDTGM All-Stars"! Adam and Casey always improve any movie, TV show or podcast they're in, and that hangs true here once more. Guest Dan Levy was wonderful as always. Not nearly as many, "literally"'s, "I loved it"'s or masturbation jokes as with Zooks & June, but the All-Stars did a great job! I applauded them wherever I was (right here, at my PC), lol. Though, of course, wish Z & J the best and glad to hear they're feelin' better and will be back next week! I can only imagine that Zooks was the sick one, and he got sick from having to watch Miley Cyrus in "LOL".

Finally, I gotta point out -- I know, I know, I'll go fuck myself as per tradition for people complaining about the LIVE shows. Sorry for all the guys at Largo, and your editor "July" (that's what I heard), but the audio mix here was inconsistent. A lot of lines were very low volume - the podcast in general was too low; I've been listening to older eps all week, and it's really low by comparison. You can't even hear many of the audience questions, and some lines spoken by y'all comedians are hushed as well. Unfortunately, other lines get blown out. The audio mix was not your best, guys. Made listening to this one a little rough. Usually the Live shows are not recorded- or-mixed this badly. Still, it was listenable, and it's free, so thanks for that. Still, a complaint's a complaint, and I gotta do what Paul says!

Off to go eff myself :D

EDIT:

Hey everyone,

I adjusted the volume on this episode so it’s easier on the ears. If you already downloaded the old file through iTunes just delete it and re-download or just stream it on the site. Sorry if this was such a nuisance for anyone but I’d like to think that having access to a free LIVE show would merit certain exceptions of audio not being to the level of an in-studio episode. Especially a live episode that was just recorded a few days ago. Anyway, say what you will about the audio if you’d like but be nice about it. Otherwise, keep the negativity to yourself.

Thanks,

July

Damnit! WHY DIDN'T I RE-DOWNLOAD IT FIRST! Anyway, Thanks for the update, July!

• Like 1

anyone who's needs to fill that Jason & June void, check out the episode of the League that just aired... it was a Cuckoo's Nest flavored prequel to the Rafi & Dirty Randy episode last season.

if nothing else, watch it to see a beardless Zouks... it's a sight to behold.

2n827u0.png

• Like 8

Anyway grazie for the updated audio. I'll check it out later, hopefully its not a total clusterfuck of a recording.

We're all waiting with bated breath for your evaluation!

• Like 2

'Hi, I tried listening to this episode, but felt that the sound quality wasn't as high as previous live shows. Is there any chance of it being improved?'

Maybe it's just me, but for me, it seems like you could post this, and the Earwolf team would do what they can to fix the problem. Insulting them and filling your posts with abuse seems counter-productive.

• Like 2

Sure, I expect this kind of outrage in the YouTube comments section under a video of a child and/or kitten doing something adorable and clumsy, but it has no place here, mister!

Now, if bad sound quality makes me miss a single MOMENT of conversation about Miley's friend finger-blasting a raw chicken during the "LOL" live ep, shit WILL get real in a hurry.

• Like 2

'Hi, I tried listening to this episode, but felt that the sound quality wasn't as high as previous live shows. Is there any chance of it being improved?'

Maybe it's just me, but for me, it seems like you could post this, and the Earwolf team would do what they can to fix the problem. Insulting them and filling your posts with abuse seems counter-productive.

And, people, we're not cutting a Steely Dan album here. Having said that, could you bring down the director's commentary a little bit? I swear I could hear wet sounds coming from places deep within him during his clips. (Jason would have loved it.)

• Like 2

I can't believe no one mentioned the crazy foreshadowing of Dice's death. Think about it... His name is "Dice", right? And what happens to him at the end of the movie?

That's right. He Dice.

• Like 7

I can't believe no one mentioned the crazy foreshadowing of Dice's death. Think about it... His name is "Dice", right? And what happens to him at the end of the movie?

That's right. He Dice.

Bravo!

@Fervel Lankman:

Quit riding July. He's just a mod doing his job. If you had a bad day that's alright, but don't take it out on the people who keep this website running because if they didn't you wouldn't have a podcast to complain about.

Also, go fuck yourself.

• Like 10

hi fervel,

i didn't delete your comments (neither did july), but i agree there's no place for them here. don't bring your personal attacks and bullshit onto these boards. if you have an issue, bring it up in a polite and respectful way, and we'll do what we can to fix it.

also, you clearly have no concept of how much july does for earwolf. you wouldn't have access to anything without him, so maybe you could try being less of a dick about the whole thing.

thanks!

• Like 9