🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 94 — Glitter: LIVE!

I hope that the parties involved in my vitriol will have a chance to read this before deleting it which you certainly have every right to do.

I was a douche. A total unappreciative douche that went too far in my criticism. Not that it excuses it but I've had a terrible week and on the night I posted I had an even worse day. Combined with alcohol and the crap I'm going thru atm, I took out my anger on those who didn't deserve it.

Brett Morris's explanation as to why the ep sounded the way it did makes me feel even more like an asshole. I had no issues regarding past live episodes. The Staying Alive ep sounded fine. But I realize my wrath towards JulyDiaz was uncalled for. For that I really am sorry.

When I woke up on Thursday I had a feeling I really fucked up. I don't remember the post I made exactly and I'm actually glad I can't remember the specifics of my post here because I would even more mortified than I am now. I'm taking a break from reddit. As much as I dig the cat pics, it's far too easy to be vitriolic and get in touch with your inner troll. It's not healthy.

No matter, I have no excuse and offer my sincere apologies for being a massive dick. I love Earwolf. I started listening to CBB late last year after being a fan of the tv show. Now I listen to HDTGM and NNF and UTU2TM is the greatest thing ever. I feel like such an asshole for being such an asshole and I deserve to be shit on.

So mea culpa, I deserve to be banned. I am not asking for anything in return. Not asking for a unbanning or anything. I broke the rules, I deserve to be gone. But I do hope JulyDiaz and Co read this before deleting it if need be. No bullshit here, I really am sorry for my post and it was totally uncalled for. Hope those involved will have a chance to read this, thanks.

• Like 5

I think all the mods have been great, as have all the other people I have encountered on this site. Just a bunch of friendly, funny people as far as I can tell.

As for LOL, check out the subforum "Bad Movie Recommendations." Trust me, we've talked about it. Lots of funny stuff there!

I second this, the LOL thread could be a silly little mini mini ep if anyone's interested. Also that movie was bonkers.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the episode sounded fine. I mean, it's a live episode- where you're listening for FREE comedians dissect a shit movie. Even if it was barely listenable (which it wasn't), we're getting the better end of the deal as listeners.

I also have to shout out the Earwolf staff, as they really build a sense of community in the boards and bring so much talent in every aspect of the company. HDTGM is a monster to produce what with all the supplementary research and clip pulling, aside from the usual scheduling of a guest and one with time to watch a shit movie and discuss it. It's a huge under taking, and I for one am thankful for everyone that helps put out these episodes. This has been the best and funniest year in Earwolf yet. Great work guys.

To quote Scotty Auk, "I give you my highest grade: C+"

• Like 3

Vondie Curtis-Hall everybody

WTF. i'm pretty bummed to find out that the voice i heard on that commentary is someone i otherwise respected.

deep cut: this is the actor who played a transgender woman in season 1 of ER, who (ER spoilers) jumped of the roof, killing herself, because she couldn't "pass" with that face. the most interesting thing, though, is that the actor returned to the show in a later season as a totally unrelated recurring character.

• Like 1

the most interesting thing, though, is that the actor returned to the show in a later season as a totally unrelated recurring character.

I'm currently watching Deadwood, and they too brought back an actor in the second season that was prominent in the first. This really amped up the tension until I realized it was a bad casting choice rather than a twin brother/secret revenge plot line.

• Like 2

I noticed the audio, but I've done enough live mixing and recording to know that sometimes things don't work as well as you would hope and I wasn't worried about it. Thanks for taking the time to work on it and make it better for us, I appreciate it I and know many others do too.

• Like 3

I'm currently watching Deadwood, and they too brought back an actor in the second season that was prominent in the first. This really amped up the tension until I realized it was a bad casting choice rather than a twin brother/secret revenge plot line.

I thought at first the second character was under a secret identity, maybe trying to come back to the town to get back at the people who tried to send him to jail for killing Wild Bill, but then he was speaking with a refined voice and didn't have the scarring the other character had so I just realized that it was a weird casting choice.

So, after hearing the episode, I watched "Glitter" and while it was tedious and not entertaining, it wasn't the "crazy bonkers insanity" of disjointed anarchy I'd been led to believe by the podcast. Glitter, like every movie, uses plot devices to advance the story, create tension and situation, and get from beginning to end. HDTGM seems predicated on not understanding this, and over-reacting when a device isn't particularly subtle or strong.

Like the music awards thing... they invite her and say there's a rehearsal happening that day, not the live show. Unlikely, but it is NOT the same as calling her 20 minutes before the show airs live. It's a plot device to get her to meet Eric Benet's character without Dice around. (BTW Billie keeps asking people to call Dice for her as a plot device to show that she's loyal to him while crazy shit keeps happening.) Or the DX7 gift... as someone pointed out upthread, in '83 the DX7 was a $2000 pro keyboard, and a pretty substantial gift. There also seems to be some overstatement of Dice's level of fame early on in the film. When the movie starts, he's a club DJ, but he's not some huge industry powerhouse as team HDTGM seems to think he is. I thought Max Beasley did a passable job, sort of a low budget Ewan McGregor...

And there are also "jokes" in the movie, like the video shoot scene with the euroweenie director and the male dancers. HDTGM seems to not catch a lot of "jokes" in the movies you discuss.

The movie is basically "A Star is Born" or any of the genre where (generally) boy helps girl get discovered, he tries to hitch his wagon to her star but starts to get insecure and threatened when people pay attention to her exclusively, so he gets bitter and forces her to choose between him and stardom. If he'd just been chill, she would have taken him along for the ride, but he has to be a dick about it, so he loses her.

Also, the SOUNDTRACK dropped on 9/11, which they were counting on to help build interest in the film, and most of the promotional media appearances prior to the film's opening were canceled due to 9/11 coverage. So yes, I believe that was certainly an unfavorable time to release the movie, and probably hurt opening weekend ticket sales.

Again, this is not a very good movie, not much fun, and Mariah's not a great actress. But sometimes I wonder if you guys are actually paying attention when you watch the films, or are deliberately being dense to try to be funny...

Again, this is not a very good movie, not much fun, and Mariah's not a great actress. But sometimes I wonder if you guys are actually paying attention when you watch the films, or are deliberately being dense to try to be funny...

Also, they never did answer "How Did This Get Made," and that's fucking bullshit!

• Like 2

Holy shit, guys! I don't know if you've seen the latest casting announcements for the "Daredevil" Netflix show, but shit is about to get magically realistic...