🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 199 — Freedom and Abandon

How bout this topic: Iggy's booty--real or fake? I want to believe its real, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was fake.

• Like 2

Right on. Maybe Giancarlo can stop by too!

if his recent call to Howard tells us anything, it'll probably be to just use the Earwolf's new(ish) toilet... sans grease-chain, of course

• Like 5

But seriously, they did announce that the guest for Podfest is Matt Jones (aka Badger on Breaking Bad). Seems reasonable to assume that will be next week's episode #200.

I'm wondering if they're going to release the Podfest episode since Podfest has the whole "pay to watch the show streaming" thing going on. I guess we'll know in a couple days once they start asking for Tweet Chart questions.

Hmmm.

Made the mistake of watching some Nova Rockafeller videos before listening to the episode.

Skipping this one for sure.

Did I misunderstand, or at the end did Howard allude to the next Two Charted being recorded at final Indiegogo night central?! (AKA the new digs.)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode and didn't have a problem with Nova, except possibly that it's a little odd to have two guests in the studio. What I really couldn't wrap my head around was why someone would give this person $100,000. Not surprised to hear that it was all blown in relatively short order, and not to be harsh but I don't expect to really hear much from her down the line.

• Like 1

I don't get the negativity by a few people- I enjoyed this episode immensely. I thought it had really good energy and everyone seemed to be comfortable and having a fun time. Some of the comments are bordering on fuddy duddyism. "Oh! The way these young people talk and how little they know!"

A few months back the podcast providers did the audience survey to determine what ads would be best directed for the main age group of listeners. Which if I remember correctly were people a lot younger than myself. I wonder if maybe they are trying to get younger guests for the show, to match the listener demographic?

I didn't have a problem with Nova. She's young. Good energy. I didn't expect the dialog of an old sage to come from someone so young. I thought her personality paired well with Kulap & Howard.

• Like 1

A few months back the podcast providers did the audience survey to determine what ads would be best directed for the main age group of listeners. Which if I remember correctly were people a lot younger than myself. I wonder if maybe they are trying to get younger guests for the show, to match the listener demographic?

I didn't have a problem with Nova. She's young. Good energy. I didn't expect the dialog of an old sage to come from someone so young. I thought her personality paired well with Kulap & Howard.

She isn't that young though!

• Like 1

Came here to ask if a chartist could find the video of Nova at Summahfest goin off on the guy, but then I found it.

Also not feeling the hate everyone has on Nova and this episode. I think she's a lot like Howard in some ways which is great to hear.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if they're going to release the Podfest episode since Podfest has the whole "pay to watch the show streaming" thing going on. I guess we'll know in a couple days once they start asking for Tweet Chart questions.

Yeah, when I heard about the Podfest deal, it seemed a little weird that they're asking people to pay for shows that have been available for free in previous years. I kind of doubt the podcasters would have collectively been OK with this putting a total lockdown on the shows recorded there, so hopefully it's just an extra revenue stream and a chance for fans to see video if they want it.

Came here to ask if a chartist could find the video of Nova at Summahfest goin off on the guy, but then I found it.

That was a lot more innocuous than she made it sound. She might have been irked, but she's kind of laughing and it seems playful enough.

• Like 1

I liked Jensen, first time hearing him, and was annoyed by Nova. I agree with many of the points above, her attitude about other artists, particularly mainstream ones irked me, but I had reserved judgment until listening to some of her music to see if she is as above the pop market as she gives the air of. Her music is pretty trash, not all that different from some cali rap I used to listen to from the likes of say Shwayze.

To me, clearly my opinion only, she seemed to think she was like a spotlight guest and we cared that she doesnt know anything about anything. The choosing to live in the ghetto, blowing record advance money on stupidity when after listening there doesn't appear to be any reason to assume she'll get money like that again... Sometimes you should be a little in the pocket with things that will make you look stupid and foolish, rather than basically bragging about them like it makes you such a badass outlaw.

and having a Wutang album as your favorite and making that kind of rap music??? confusing to me...

• Like 1

Did I misunderstand, or at the end did Howard allude to the next Two Charted being recorded at final Indiegogo night central?! (AKA the new digs.)

I think he meant that they would talk about the party in the new digs on Tooch, I could be wrong though.

I feel like I should also clarify a little more with what I said yesterday:

1. When I said there have been weak episodes in the past and there may be more in the future I wasn't specifically referring to this episode. That's all an opinion anyway. I like Jensen a lot and Gallery 1988 is really cool. Howard and Kulap both seemed to have a good time and as long as that happens I'm good with the episode.

2. What I said about Nova reads a little harsh to me now, so I apologize for that. I don't hate her, I wish her the best. She's just not for me. Furthermore she's my age and I don't think she's representative of most of the people in my age group. Regardless of having a bad childhood and a strange upbringing, she could stand to have a little more humility and appreciation for what she's been given in spite of all the bad places she has been before. I'm just glad that she has Jensen who seems to be trying his best to manage her as well as teach her a little bit about being an adult.

• Like 1

I have never seen any indication that any of Earwolf's flagship shows have booked guests to try to appeal to any particular demographic. In this case, Howard is clearly a fan of Nova as a performer and a person, and Jensen is a friend with a project to promote.

• Like 2

Hey, I enjoyed the episode a lot. I really liked Jensen on his previous appearances, has always seemed very likable, and I enjoyed him and Nova a lot. I liked their relationship. I always like it too when people get Howard a little excited or on a subject he's enthused by.

There seemed to be a good atmosphere amongst the 4 of them, they all seemed to enjoy their time, and I tend to think that that translates well as a listening experience.

Essentially; I thought it was cool.

• Like 1

Earwolf just announced on Facebook that Howard and Kulap are busy at LA Podfest, so episode #200 will be hosted by Armen Weitzman and Natasha Leggero, with special guest Steve-O.

Dan, you can't tease us with this lineup unless you're prepared to deliver.

• Like 1

What I said about Nova reads a little harsh to me now, so I apologize for that. I don't hate her, I wish her the best. She's just not for me. Furthermore she's my age and I don't think she's representative of most of the people in my age group.

Right. She rubs me the wrong way. But 8 years ago, I was smitten with a clueless girl not much different than her.

To me, there's two types of podcasts I listen to. Podcasts I listen to based on the guest--like WTF--I don't listen to every single episode of WTF, but if there's a guest I'm interested in, then definitely. And there's podcasts I listen to no matter who the guest is--like Who Charted, CBB, NNF.

• Like 4

I tweeted @whocharted, they're banking the live show for later.

• Like 1

I think he meant that they would talk about the party in the new digs on Tooch, I could be wrong though.

You were so right! I had gotten in my head it would be a special ep like the last day at the old Earwolf studio. I need to get some other hobbies!

whoa. there is a lot of dislike of Nova on the boards! I didn't think she came off that bad, did she? Maybe because I already knew what to expect from her. While her music isn't groundbreaking it is pretty catchy to me personally. That Batman song is still really great 2 years later. Overall I thought it was a pretty good episode and Howard and Kulap really seemed to be enjoying it!

btw what was with Jensen trying to get her to say she didn't like Iggy?

• Like 1

Also, ridiculous seeing people giving Nova shit for not well acquainted with popular culture. Who cares? Such an internet nerd thing, to judge people by what films and TV they can check off as having seen. If she was doing a hipster snooty deal of looking down at mainstream media that'd be one thing, but she seemed fine with everyone making fun of her for not knowing stuff. I really enjoyed hearing Howard getting excited by her disinterest in movies

Also, ridiculous seeing people giving Nova shit for not well acquainted with popular culture. Who cares? Such an internet nerd thing, to judge people by what films and TV they can check off as having seen. If she was doing a hipster snooty deal of looking down at mainstream media that'd be one thing, but she seemed fine with everyone making fun of her for not knowing stuff. I really enjoyed hearing Howard getting excited by her disinterest in movies

haha plus there are a lot of guests that come on and freely afmit they have no knowledge of any music they are about to talk about and haven't been to the movies in a long while.