🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 313 — Gumbo Challenge

I don't think I have ever heard Horatio tell a real SNL story, every time he gets asked he makes up some weird shit.

I swear he's told the Joey Ramone story before...I4H maybe ?

I don't think I have ever heard Horatio tell a real SNL story, every time he gets asked he makes up some weird shit.

well, if Jake Fogelnest's "spiced ham story" about partying with Horatio is any indication, the dudes life at that time was pretty weird

• Like 2

well, if Jake Fogelnest's "spiced ham story" about partying with Horatio is any indication, the dudes life at that time was pretty weird

You got a link for us?

I swear he's told the Joey Ramone story before...I4H maybe ?

I'm almost positive I heard him tell it on an ep of Getting Doug With High. The one with Jerry Minor, Pete Holmes and Jay Chandresekhar

• Like 1

Thought it was funny that Scott couldn't think of who says "That's a good song!" at the end of the closing up the plug bag theme and then they start talking about the guitar skills of Brendon Small (the person who says it) for the next two minutes.

Yeah, that was really strange. I kept waiting for Scott to make the connection and it never happened.

God, Horatio is so funny. It's got to the point where just the sight of his name on a new episode has me laughing in anticipation. Anyone else holding out for another Coco Marx appearance?

• Like 1

Choctaw - [Green Day] used to pull up someone to play guitar at every one of their shows. It was fun, but that's not really what you (Interpol) do

Paul Banks - Yeah, we're not really "jammy" live

Benny Schwazzz - I once went to a Black Crows and Stephen Hawkings came up and played guitar

Choctaw - That's crazy, that's the craziest thing I've ever heard

"Dante" - I once went and saw American Idiot - the play - on Broadway, and it was just a room with a mirror in it

Everyone then tries to top Horatio's line there which is impossible because that was a fucking perfect line

• Like 8

Choctaw - [Green Day] used to pull up someone to play guitar at every one of their shows. It was fun, but that's not really what you (Interpol) do

Paul Banks - Yeah, we're not really "jammy" live

Benny Schwazzz - I once went to a Black Crows and Stephen Hawkings came up and played guitar

Choctaw - That's crazy, that's the craziest thing I've ever heard

"Dante" - I once went and saw American Idiot - the play - on Broadway, and it was just a room with a mirror in it

Everyone then tries to top Horatio's line there which is impossible because that was a fucking perfect line

I felt a little bad for Ben this week, it seemed like he was getting out matched on the jokes left and right. Like when he was so excited to do his Don Pardo bit about the ham sandwich or whatever and it sorta landed, then Scott chimed in with "muuusical guest....two pigs!" and just annihilated his line.

Then again, I think i love Ben the most when he's just being teased mercilessly and having his bits be shut down completely, Scott does it amazingly. same goes for Confrontation corner on I4H. so maybe it's intentional that they're not really letting any of his jokes land.

• Like 5

Yeah, that was really strange. I kept waiting for Scott to make the connection and it never happened.

It's happened a couple times now, I think, and I wonder if it's not that Scott can't remember that it's Brendon Small, but that he can't remember that Small's character's name is Tiny.

Gotta say, the Choctaw is slipping recently. His math has been suspect at best and he's not nailing his Little Shop of Horrors songs. I'll have to give this on a C+.

I was a little let down that this episode did not end with Scott, Ben, and Paul participating in the gumbo challenge. Now they have to donate to the American taliban!

It's happened a couple times now, I think, and I wonder if it's not that Scott can't remember that it's Brendon Small, but that he can't remember that Small's character's name is Tiny.

That would make sense. Didn't he call it the 'Kumail Nanjiani remix' one time?

I'm almost positive I heard him tell it on an ep of Getting Doug With High. The one with Jerry Minor, Pete Holmes and Jay Chandresekhar

Oh thanks! That was probably it...I might've been a little stoned watching that one...

Though I didn't read the 4(!) pages of comments I'm sure I'm repeating someone else's thoughts: possibly the most enjoyable episode since the best-of-year Honk Shoo masterpiece. This is in part because I, for the first time ever, found Horatio Sanz funny. I'm not one of the forumites who celebrates every single thing that is Earwolf but I'll step into their shoes for a few moments to say something I would never normally believe: Sanz can be funny and it was only a matter of time, apparently, before he was. Good stuff. I love those episodes that showcase the wide pop culture knowledge of the participants because it reminds me that the people that make CBB aren't kids trying to appeal to an audience of silly teens and 20-somethings.

i took a chemistry class that was pretty experimental. - Scott

im going to throw-up if you say anything like that again. - Benny

one of the more pure CBB relationships.

I knew this guy named Scott who went to a chemistry class, he lovedchemicalssomuchhewasWalterWhite

• Like 9

Though I didn't read the 4(!) pages of comments I'm sure I'm repeating someone else's thoughts: possibly the most enjoyable episode since the best-of-year Honk Shoo masterpiece. This is in part because I, for the first time ever, found Horatio Sanz funny. I'm not one of the forumites who celebrates every single thing that is Earwolf but I'll step into their shoes for a few moments to say something I would never normally believe: Sanz can be funny and it was only a matter of time, apparently, before he was. Good stuff. I love those episodes that showcase the wide pop culture knowledge of the participants because it reminds me that the people that make CBB aren't kids trying to appeal to an audience of silly teens and 20-somethings.

Interesting. I'm new to these forums so I'm curious: is your opinion on Sanz a popular one around here? I don't watch SNL so I was only introduced to him through this podcast, but he's one of my favorite guests besides the obvious staples. Admittedly I'm probably one of the "silly 20-somethings" mentioned in your post, but did you listen to his previous appearance as Aaron Neville? I thought it was incredible.

Not trying to call you out or anything - different strokes and all that - I'm just curious.

• Like 3

Interesting. I'm new to these forums so I'm curious: is your opinion on Sanz a popular one around here? I don't watch SNL so I was only introduced to him through this podcast, but he's one of my favorite guests besides the obvious staples. Admittedly I'm probably one of the "silly 20-somethings" mentioned in your post, but did you listen to his previous appearance as Aaron Neville? I thought it was incredible.

Not trying to call you out or anything - different strokes and all that - I'm just curious.

I'm with you, I like Horatio on CBB, when I see his name in the lineup on a Monday morning, it makes me as happy as seeing Adomian or PFT there. He might not have been in my all time favorite 10 episodes, but his always are good enough, never forgettable

• Like 5

I've loved Sanz as Coco Marx or Aaron Neville. Like previously stated, I'm incredibly excited when I see his name pop up in my feed on Monday mornings.

the end

• Like 2

I base my opinion on Mr. Sanz on, as you've correctly guessed, his SNL career. I wasn't religious about watching the show but those moments I caught that featured him were as unfunny as anything those people are responsible for. Part of it is that SNL isn't/wasn't generally funny (not to me, at any rate) and the other part is that Sanz was less funny than the mediocre whole. Raising the question of why I bothered. The answer is: drugs.

I've heard a few Sanz appearances on CBB and thought much the same: not particularly funny, tries too hard. I'll admit I've skipped a few episodes that feature him and so may not be the best judge of his potential.

There are a few returning guests that I don't find funny at all but I try to keep it to myself so as not to stir the waters of forum rage. As an example, I find Paul Scheer to be completely and hopelessly unfunny but don't hate on the guy because it would be trolling. At least trolling is what I'd be accused of. There are a few others, some regular, that don't seem to belong in comedy. But you take the bad with the good because Andy Daly, Brendan Small, Taran Killam, Paul Brittain, Matt Besser and PFT (to name a few) are so hilarious that they offer the sweet sweet antidote to the lameness of the unfunny few. Whatever. They're all richer and more famous than me so they're probably doing something right.

• Like 1

Engineer Cody Cody already getting ragged on at the beginning of the episode made me certain I was in for some good shit, but oh my god. Sanz killed it. He killed everything. Everything is fucking dead because he killed it so much, from 'Dante' to Aaron.

Also, I have to agree with not being excited for him simply because my first and most prominent exposure to him was SNL. At the time, he came off as Jimmy Fallon's counterpart for unreasonable and distracting corpsing, so I always wrote him off. But just like Fallon has shown that he's a really funny and charismatic dude in the right context (and SNL rarely seems to actually be the right context for anyone), this is the right context for Sanz, because he is funny as hell.

• Like 3

I've loved Sanz as Coco Marx or Aaron Neville. Like previously stated, I'm incredibly excited when I see his name pop up in my feed on Monday mornings.

the end

Great display name bro. Love it.

• Like 1