🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 94.5 — Minisode 94.5

Apart from the sexual assault, beating, and other offensive aspects of this movie that are played as a moralistic side show, 'Temptation' is a movie that begins with an opening narration that contains the phrase, "I'll tell ya!" What the fuck? It's like Tyler Perry doing an impersonation of what an eighth grader thinks a screenplay should sound like. Plus, it just plays into how people from the South are deluded into thinking they are discriminated against just because they are from "below the Mason-Dixon line." See the initial conversation between the main character and Kim Kardashian. This film is offensive to anyone who likes fiction.

• Like 1

The only thing missing from the end was a bucket of slime being dropped onto the marriage counselor's head.

So right, this woman is brutally beaten (where she's passed out in a tub) and he TAKES HER HOME.

This movie made me so angry. First, I hated Judith. I hated everyone except the old lady who was awesome.

Why was Judith slack jawed and staggered around like she was wasted all the time right after she decided she was going to be with Harley? Was it all the cocaine? Because that's just crazy.

Is the lesson don't cheat on your husband or you will get HIV and your husband will live happily ever after, whore?

I found the actress that played Judith to be terrible. She was all over the place with her face and emotions. Most of the time she seemed dead and slack jawed and then other times she was acting like a complete nut job like when she's slapping him and wants Brice to growl and scratch her back and when she's all docile and starts screaming at Harley to never call her again.

Best line: JUDITH! (pause) JUDITH!

I laughed out loud.

• Like 1

Also, every time anyone said the name "Judith," I kept thinking of this song.... because I am obvious and on-the-nose:

• Like 1

All that anyone ever needs to know about this movie is that Kim Kardashian's performance is one of its highlights.

• Like 2

All that anyone ever needs to know about this movie is that Kim Kardashian's performance is one of its highlights.

True! She isn't bad at playing a character as vapid and nasty as she is in real life!

I dunno what yall are talkin about. This movie was awesome start to finish. So funny. Best part is when the main girl runs right into the guy on his bicycle which causes Harley to roid rage.

btw, did anyone else feel like this movie was set in 3 different time periods all at once?

• Like 1

I just saw this movie. All I've got to say is: WHAT THE FUCK TYLER PERRY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me with this movie? How was this even allowed to be released in theatres? This movie is just beyond offensive to all the senses. I seriously can not believe that in this day and age, some movie exec said, "You know what? Let's release this movie in theatres." Man...just fucking hell.

Although, I've got to say, that the protagonist on coke in the second half of the movie was hilarious to me. She was just bad at trying to portray that she had been on a crazy coke bender. Also, I think the reason behind Vanessa Williams accent was that she had just seen the Room before the filming of this movie; was just trying to do her best Tommy Wiseau impression. Finally, did anybody else notice original husband's Incredible Hulk rage strength throughout the movie?

• Like 1

I just saw this movie. All I've got to say is: WHAT THE FUCK TYLER PERRY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me with this movie? How was this even allowed to be released in theatres? This movie is just beyond offensive to all the senses. I seriously can not believe that in this day and age, some movie exec said, "You know what? Let's release this movie in theatres." Man...just fucking hell.

I think part of the problem is that Perry probably has carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

The Williams accent reveal was one of a few moments I chuckled at because you can tell they were conceived as huge laugh lines in the midst of this insane melodrama.

The other funniest part for me (at least among those no one has mentioned) was that Judith didn't put any questions about sex on the survey because she personally didn't believe in premarital sex, and her (by all accounts competent, successful) boss in this serious, big-money business was somehow OK with that.

• Like 4

The other funniest part for me (at least among those no one has mentioned) was that Judith didn't put any questions about sex on the survey because she personally didn't believe in premarital sex, and her (by all accounts competent, successful) boss in this serious, big-money business was somehow OK with that.

Not only that, but apparently she has only been on the job for like three weeks. Yeah, let's put that person in charge of a multi-million dollar deal with no oversight. Great idea!

Then again, she did just graduate college with a degree in marriage counselling, so yeah, she's probably got that.

• Like 1

And why the Otis Redding "Try a Little Tenderness" scene when that had already been done in Pretty in Pink?

I wish Duckie Dale had been in this movie.

Wasn't "Try a Little Tenderness" in Roadhouse as well? Man, that song was oddly popular in the 80's...

Also, which role should Duckie have played or would he just be in there as himself? Either way...awesome!

Wasn't "Try a Little Tenderness" in Roadhouse as well? Man, that song was oddly popular in the 80's...

Also, which role should Duckie have played or would he just be in there as himself? Either way...awesome!

Duckie should have done Kim Kardashian's role. Get Judith in some creepers.

• Like 2

I've been making a solid effort to watch the HDTGM choices before listening to the corresponding episodes, but I think I'm going to have to sit this one out. Most everyone's experience of watching Temptation just seems like such an unpleasant combination of boredom and outrage.

Get ready for everyone that is not Tyler Perry to be dubbed "the one" or "the black guy".

In a similar vein, am I the only one who was uncomfortable when when Casey Wilson repeatedly referred to Mariah's friend as "the other one" during the Glitter ep?

In a similar vein, am I the only one who was uncomfortable when when Casey Wilson repeatedly referred to Mariah's friend as "the other one" during the Glitter ep?

Not really, because we at least knew who everyone else was. you've got Mariah, Da Brat, and...the other one.

• Like 4

Not really, because we at least knew who everyone else was. you've got Mariah, Da Brat, and...the other one.

But isn't that exactly Shariq's point? If a person of color isn't already famous (although calling Da Brat famous is being rather generous on my part), we don't bother to identify them in a meaningful way.

I should acknowledge that Casey Wilson's decision to refer to the friend as "the other one" is most likely the consequence of a terrible storyline and absent character development, rather than any underlying prejudice (much in the same way that all the dudes in LOL are known as Shit Dick. Not because we are biased against young white males, but because those characters are interchangeable and worthless -- please refer to the massive LOL thread for more on this essential matter). Nonetheless I still felt icky when I heard "the other one" over and over.

And I know I'm going to get reamed for making a fuss about this. I'm well aware that an online forum for a podcast about bad films isn't the ideal place for a discussion about language and race. And I know everybody's got social justice fatigue. HDTGM isn't YITR (though Andrew Ti would be such an awesome guest!). But similar issues do come up on this show (for example, think about all the times that the gang or a guest has pointed out the problematic portrayals of minorities in so many of the films they cover). And thus I think it's reasonable to discuss such issues on the forums.

• Like 3

I've been making a solid effort to watch the HDTGM choices before listening to the corresponding episodes, but I think I'm going to have to sit this one out. Most everyone's experience of watching Temptation just seems like such an unpleasant combination of boredom and outrage.

I'd give it a shot and just turn it off or skip to the end when you can't take it anymore. Obviously, the subject matter isn't funny. What is funny is Tyler Perry's ham-fisted, dogmatic screed. It seriously feels like it was a first draft. Everyone is so one-dimensional as to be merely dots on the screen. Mr. Men and Little Miss books have more depth, subtlety, and character development.

Nonetheless I still felt icky when I heard "the other one" over and over.

At least they didn't call her Roach Bag over and over ;)

I'm sorry if I missed this, but has no one seriously mentioned that "If smiles were dollars, they'd have been millionaires" was an actual line written and recorded for this film?

• Like 1

No no no, it was much worse. That is a bad line that would have made sense. The actual line was "If smiles were dollars, they'd have had millions."

• Like 1

But isn't that exactly Shariq's point? If a person of color isn't already famous (although calling Da Brat famous is being rather generous on my part), we don't bother to identify them in a meaningful way.

I should acknowledge that Casey Wilson's decision to refer to the friend as "the other one" is most likely the consequence of a terrible storyline and absent character development, rather than any underlying prejudice (much in the same way that all the dudes in LOL are known as Shit Dick. Not because we are biased against young white males, but because those characters are interchangeable and worthless -- please refer to the massive LOL thread for more on this essential matter). Nonetheless I still felt icky when I heard "the other one" over and over.

And I know I'm going to get reamed for making a fuss about this. I'm well aware that an online forum for a podcast about bad films isn't the ideal place for a discussion about language and race. And I know everybody's got social justice fatigue. HDTGM isn't YITR (though Andrew Ti would be such an awesome guest!). But similar issues do come up on this show (for example, think about all the times that the gang or a guest has pointed out the problematic portrayals of minorities in so many of the films they cover). And thus I think it's reasonable to discuss such issues on the forums.

You should listen to the Devil's Advocate episode where they don't even say Tamara Tunie's name? She's been on SUV for 15 years at this point and they called her "the one that would be in a yogurt commercial". Now, that same episode they make a point to say the name of the actress who plays the secretary in the film -- an actress is who is not currently on a long-running TV show.

So, I do kinda feel that this episode is not gonna be that funny, because everyone in the film -- save for Tyler Perry, if he makes an appearance -- will be called "the one who...."

Wait, so are we saying that when you're trapped on a plane with no means of escape by someone in a position of power, he forces himself on you and you say no repeatedly (after having previously rebuked his advances), and then you finally submit...we're calling that that rape now? Well, agree to disagree, says Tyler Perry. Clearly it was the woman's fault, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten HIV, right? ...right?

just stopped by to make sure that going into this, everyone is aware that the female lead in this movie is michelle's friend from full house:

jurneesmollett_93417175.jpg

I don't remember 90% of this movie because I was trying the whole time to figure out if that was her.