🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 94.5 — Minisode 94.5

I agree with your larger point, but I take issue with your last para. Granted, the Glitter episode was not one of the better episodes to say the least, but the Staying Alive episode was the best fucking episode of this podcast ever!

Man, there was a little part around when the Pete Holmes ep where there are like five to six GREAT ones. I always listen to those..."Blackie" notwithstanding.

But if they do, I hope it's "The One Who Killed Somebody with Her Car" and "The One Famous for Banging The First One's Brother".

OH SHIT!!!! I totally forgot that Kim Kardashian was fucking Ray J. Man, was that weird on the set or what? I bet Kim asked Brandy to tell her brother to stop singing that "I hit it first" song.

...And Brandy killed someone via cat?!!!?

• Like 2

OH SHIT!!!! I totally forgot that Kim Kardashian was fucking Ray J. Man, was that weird on the set or what? I bet Kim asked Brandy to tell her brother to stop singing that "I hit it first" song.

...And Brandy killed someone via cat?!!!?

it is possible that they never crossed paths since they never shared any scenes together.
  • Like 1

it is possible that they never crossed paths since they never shared any scenes together.

I bet you Brandy's mother had that in the contract. Something like if Brandy even gets a whiff of Kim's perfume, she's quitting and Perry's on the hook for emotional distress. They had a reality show for a little bit and Brandy's mom is a shrewd negotiator. I would have loved to have had her on my side when I brought my car.

• Like 2

Shariq! I'm sorry I unnecessarily escalated the discussion. I half read the comments without looking into the source of your claims. Once I realized it was the Abduction episode I started it up and immediately remembered it was one of the few episodes I disliked and never finished due to Jessica Chaffens comments. I Guess her Ronna and Bev character isn't too far from the truth. I wouldn't try to rationalize what she was saying. But from Paul, June, and Jason, maybe I'm blinded by my love for their comedy, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt when they describe a minority character as such. I know they are far from the utmost authority on the subject, but I do trust that what they say is more of a jab at the writers and director for using minority characters as walking stereotypical grabs at minority viewers, rather then a sign of disrespect towards those actors and their ethnicity.

I'm a white guy, with black family. I know I don't carry it with me like other minorities do. I still get the occasional guy at the bar saying some racist shit to me and he thinks I'm gonna agree with him just cause I'm white. I like to think I know the difference between when some one is being offensive to a group purposefully, and when they are attacking the idea that people can be defined by the stereotypes attributed to them by bad writing. But I haven't spent one day of my life as a black person so although I wrongfully criticized you earlier, without speaking up I wouldn't have this moment of reflection.

I like them as well and support their projects. I guess I just expect more from them than, say Adam Corrolla, on certain topics and issues. They're alternative comics and I expect them to be an alternative to the regular bullshit that passes as comedy in mainstream America.

And you don't have to apologize to me for anything. People are free to say what they like and what they feel. Even though it causes some people uneasiness, I happen to like it when the threads get into real topics surrounding entertainment and movies. We all consume this stuff and have ideas on how it operates. Some of the best discussions are when the posters are talking about sexism in movies, women's roles in entertainment, POC representation. I mean, we had one of the best discussions on feminism in the thread for Spice World...the fucking SPICE GIRLS MOVIE! I mean this was a movie produced by the guys behind American Idol, not bell hooks, but it still offered a way to talk about those subjects.

And from now on, I'll lay off the Florida gifs....

• Like 5

So that's one of my favorite eps because I loved that movie when I was younger. Everything about that ep is good except for that exchange. Tamara Tunie plays the wife of one of the lawyers at Satan and Associates. There is a scene where she's changing her shirt and then demon boobies come out. When they were describing this scene they were just like "the one who..." And June was like, "No, she's a regular on Law and Order" and they were like, "naw, she's the one from the yogurt commercials." First, I doubt that she has done a yogurt commercial; they were saying that has a joke because of her hair. Basically saying she looks like she belongs on a yogurt commercial.

Secondly, she's been on TV for the better part of two decades. I don't watch NCIS Los Angeles, but I know LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell are on it. Plus, she's on Law and Order SVU, aka the most re-run-ed TV show in the history of TV. So, even if this yogurt commercial is real, it makes more sense to mention the 15+ seasons of TV that she's done than the short-run yogurt commercial.

Now, the secretary was this character actress who didn't have a big role in the movie. She basically gives Keanu the cases and she shows a demon face that causes Charlize to kill herself. But she's this actress that they point out by her real name. They describe her entering the movie and they all say her name.She's not a big star and whatever her claim to fame it is not on right now, like SVU.

As far as them naming the players, I happen to like that because I do quick searches to see what else they have been in, or to get a picture of their face (I don't watch all of the movies before hand). And it's not like its hard work. Paul already has the IMDB page for the movie open to give the extra production notes during the show. Plus, they have already seen the movie, so they know these people's faces. It's just scrolling.

My mistake, I thought you had said Tamara Tunie WAS the secretary.

Was the secretary Debra Monk? (I may be completely wrong on this, again, I haven't seen the film in years or listened to this episode recently. I do agree it is hilarious.) Because, looking on IMDb, she was in Ass Backwards. Not saying that they are tight or that June had anything to do casting for her film, but maybe she is a friend of theirs, or at least, an actor they know and like. She may be just a "character actor" to you (not that there is anything wrong with that either), but obviously something about her work stood out to them. So maybe they were just excited, just as any other normal person would be who sees their obscure-ish actor/band/whatever get some recognition. You can't say who a person relates to our not, or what excites them. Shit, I was geeking out yesterday because I was watching Starship Troopers and Lassiter from Psych made a two second appearance, but I can't expect 9 out of 10 people on the street to know who I am talking about or expect them to care. Maybe they just had an esoteric experience onstage.

As for Tamara Tunie, I just looked up her IMDb page and she looks like she has quite a resume, but I can honestly say, aside from Advocate, I have seen exactly nothing she has ever been in, nor could I pick her out of a line-up with a gun to my head. This is not to take away from her obvious talent and success, she just doesn't seem to do projects that appeal to my sensibilities. In this regard, the fault lies entirely with me. But as Dan said in his previous post, podcasts generally attract a demo of 18-34 year old males--not exactly Law and Order's biggest demo I suspect....

And I am 100% positive that the yogurt thing was meant as a joke, for people like me who just can't know every actor and actress in every show, nor want to. I can look a movie up on IMDb just as easily as Paul if I really want to know. And to be honest, when someone says, "the woman that looks like she is in a yogurt commercial" my mind will now and forever think: Jamie Lee Curtis (God, I hope she is still regular...). I certainly wasn't thinking, but is she black? What else has she been in? I just laughed and moved on.

So, should they have been more respectful of her career? Maybe...but it is just not something I expect them to do, nor do I really want them to. It would be like stopping to explain a joke as you are telling it. Timing is everything in comedy.

But, I do agree with you, I don't see why these types of discussions can't be brought up, as long as it remains civil and (more or less) topic relevant.

(And to be fair, when someone says, "that guy in a yogurt commercial" I think of that douche bag who doesn't realize yogurt comes in different flavors. What a piece of shit.)

Well I must say, this is got to be one of the most talked about posts on a minisode ever! I wonder what minisode holds the most pages on the forum by the way?

• Like 1

Well I must say, this is got to be one of the most talked about posts on a minisode ever! I wonder what minisode holds the most pages on the forum by the way?

And I also wonder if it's going to mean a damn thing after the episode comes out! Seriously, I'm sure everything will be fine, and we can go back to just making fun of everything.

• Like 1

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

"Oh by the way, if you're wondering if the majority of the characters get HIV at the end of this movie...

They do."

• Like 2

Random sundry things that I am thinking about as I prepare for the episode to drop:

I forgot another thing that made me laugh out loud: Lance Gross' old makeup at the end of the movie. It's the fakest thing I've seen since the anaconda in Anaconda. It looks like they bought an "Old Man" costume at the Halloween Boo-tique on clearance.

Judith the marriage counselor at the end was played by a different actor. I thought maybe it was just the glasses and hair that were throwing me off, but no. So strange.

Take a look at Jurnee Smollett-Bell's (Judith) filmography on IMDB and prepare to have your mind blown. This woman has been in a million awesome things. http://www.imdb.com/..._=ttfc_fc_cl_t1

I just took a glance at the Amazon reviews and I am VERY excited for Second Opinions. (I hope the people who were really surprised by the twist ending don't watch any of M. Night's movies, I don't think they will be able to handle it.)

• Like 2

OH MY GOD I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ELSE.

Satan Zuckerberg is supposed to be filthy rich, right? He has his own jet and takes off to Paris whenever. When he goes to his garage, there is room for exactly two cars in there: the red Lamborghini (?) and the white Bentley (?). (I probably don't have those right, I'm not a car person.) When he uses the garage door opener and Judith is standing outside, that garage door doesn't even look like it's big enough to get both of those cars in or out. I half expected to see a cheap metal rack with totes full of Christmas lights and ornaments next to a stacking washer and dryer given the layout of that garage.

• Like 2

I would assume that's just one of several houses he has, and there would be other cars at the other houses.

Satan Zuckerberg is supposed to be filthy rich, right? He has his own jet and takes off to Paris whenever. When he goes to his garage, there is room for exactly two cars in there: the red Lamborghini (?) and the white Bentley (?). (I probably don't have those right, I'm not a car person.) When he uses the garage door opener and Judith is standing outside, that garage door doesn't even look like it's big enough to get both of those cars in or out. I half expected to see a cheap metal rack with totes full of Christmas lights and ornaments next to a stacking washer and dryer given the layout of that garage.

Totally noticed this, too. He had a Ferrari, a Rolls Royce, and a presumably expensive motorcycle parked perpendicular to one another in the world's smallest rich man garage.

• Like 1

Uh, also? He's a fucking billionaire, and all these fucking weirdos (Judith, Brice) are showing up at his house. So he just lives in a fucking duplex somewhere? He's super rich, but has no security, of any kind? You could make the dubious argument that Judith knows his address from working with him or that he gave it to her, but Brice shows up and literally almost beats him to death.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that the new episodes are coming out soon! I wish I lived on the West Coast so I could listen at midnight. I might have to get up early on Wednesday just to listen to it because I need closure on this bizarre movie.

(BTW: Thanks guys for making such a fun podcast even when you're so busy. :))