🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Blast Hardcheese

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (1984)

Things to like about the movie:

The fashion (so many mid-rifts bared, drum majorette uniforms for dudes, poofy pants)

The way they refer to doing some break dancing as 'getting off'

The way whitey seems to trip all over their words when referring to the uhh, err, ehh, those people, at the community center.

The magical realism it uses, like how Turbo's many broken bones heal with the power of music, Ozone's ability to summon people with the power of music...basically the power of music can do pretty much anything.

Ozone's rainbow sheets on his little bed in his shack he always wears his pants unzipped on.

Break dance fighting

Exotic foods, like chicken cordon bleu

The fashion, again (so much neon, raccoon tails, handcuff belts, and neon)

Oh no! Turbo fell down those stairs for so long he aged about 20 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axnZ_bKl6lA

Things not to like about this movie....cant think of a damn thing, maybe the stupid kid?

---

Why did Ozone need Electrorock's juice?

---

I've watched this movie a whole crapload of times (thanks to Gymkommentary's free rifftrax - http://gymkommentary.blogspot.com/2008/01/gymkommentary-2-breakin-2-electric.html )

• Like 1

So I just looked at imdb, and apparently this was released the same year as the first Breakin' ... strike while the iron's hot I guess? (Breakin came in May, Breakin 2 in December)

And to go full 80's, Shabadoo (aka Ozone in the movie) was also on an episode of the Super Mario Bros Super Show, I believe he taught Luigi some moves? (its been a few months since I watched that episode, and don't quite remember)

It certainly deserves commendation for 30 years as the reigning champion of being the go to joke for ludicrous, rhyming subtitles.

Think that was just the first one, don't remember seeing him in this one, it does have Ice-T though, and randomly people in the Tor Johnson halloween masks.

So after watching this again again, I tried to see if any of the songs from the soundtrack had any DDR/Stepmania files (unfortunately not), but something that kind of struck me about the soundtrack;

Arguably the theme song of this movie is "Believe in the Beat", it was in the trailer, it started the movie off, it was sung triumphantly at the end, it encapsulates the whole jive of the film, but buried 55 minutes into the film, for like a minute or so was the song 'Electric Boogaloo' and has nothing to do with anything...so why go with that? They just liked the name (i mean why not), did 'Boogaloo Shrimp' (aka Turbo) stick his tongue in an outlet on the set of the first one and they just wanted to make fun of him?

I remember when I first heard of this movie, well after it had come out. Because Turbo is the same guy who played the Urkel-bot on Family Matters - Michael Boogaloo Shrimp. Was this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtvtTGxqbs

Watching Turbo do his thing is a treat, anywhere you go. No one can pop-n-lock like that guy. Even now, as a fake sitcom robot, that thing still sorta freaks me out because of how perfectly he does the robot. A whole movie of this kind of thing, with all the 80's you can handle to boot? Breakin 2 is amazing. And an amazing choice for HDTGM.

This movie to me is the same equivalent of Teen Witch is to Jason! The movie that brought me to the genre of bad movies. There are so many gems I'm sure they won't be able to cover it all.

Turbos been hurt, real bad!

Recently re-watched the SNL with Billie Eilish as the musical guest, I love her music but good lord it's amazing how much better the rotating room was executed in this movie than when she did it on SNL.

Unless i'm mistaken they had to strap the girl who entered mid-dance to the wall and do her hair with enough hairspray where it would stay put even when she was rotated upside down.