🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 314 — Y’all Heard Any of These Names Before?

Uh, yeah, you kind of would be. Seriously, some people need to learn to put down the shovel.

Look, first off, as has been mentioned above, Esposito's "constant reference" to her sexuality isn't that far out of line with the invisible constant reference to the heterosexual norm in society as a whole. And second, even if she does talk about it more than that (not a point I'm conceding), so fucking what? A lot of comics have topics they spend a lot of their time on, and when a person's personal life subjects you to scorn and threat of physical violence in the culture at large (and while things are getting better on that front, do not fool yourself into thinking we're in some magic post-homophobia world) it's not that surprising that that person might fixate on the subject, if nothing else because of the power in being visible and vocal in the face of a society that would rather you just shut up about it.

And in the end, if it upsets you that much, I'm sure you know what that square button on your player does.

Hi, you quoted my post, which was quoting the post that you quoted me as the speaker of. I'm not happy about that, don't pretend I'm one of the people upset with Cameron's mention of being gay, because I'm not. Please be a little more careful with who and what you're quoting, I dont like being taken so out of context that you attack me although we share the same view on the subject

The internet is real life, I hate when people treat it as anything else. This person expressed his REAL point of view.

That being said, his criticism toward Cam'ron is perfectly legitimate. Using a stereotype as a crutch is something that needs to be addressed for all comedians. My favorite comedians are not guilty of using such a crutch, but adversely some of my favorite comedians, and some of their best bits, rely heavily on this crutch. This is why I don't know exactly where I stand on the argument in terms of how it's used in comedy, but I will definitely agree that it's a crutch and relying so heavily on it is a problem in terms of comedic integrity.

who are your favorite comedians? do they have any type of personal material? if not then that's fine if it's all just esoteric, surreal, non sequiturs then whatever that's their style you can claim they don't use "stereotypes" as you say but people who do comedy about themselves and their personal lives use those ideas and make comedy out of them because they affect them all the time and are important to them.

example, would you tell Kumail Nanjiani to just shut up all ready about talking about being from Pakistan (or being a nerd for that matter)? that it's a crutch and making his comedy have less integrity?

and what is "comedic integrity" in your opinion? since your favorite comedians don't use any type of crutch you're clearly an evolved comedy fan, please enlighten me.

maybe i'm getting to sarcastic,

here's my REAL point of view. you're a fucking moron and assholes policing comedy is what needs to be addressed for all comedians.

• Like 7

No. It's not racist at all. Who the hell said I was uncomfortable with anything? If I said I was tired of every other joke from some white comedian being about being white you wouldn't say I was being racist. It's not about her being a lesbian it's about the sheer volume and dependency of her jokes being about lesbian material. Goddamn why is that so hard to understand? My gripe is about the volume and dependency of a comedians material being about a main specific topic. The topic in this case happens to be being gay. If every other joke she said was about cats I would have said "Here we go. Take a shot everytime Cameron mentions cats and how she's a cat lady". Because I said lesbian you guys jump right into calling me homophobic and that's straight bullshit. None of you would be giving me this much shit if I complained about how much Jim Gaffigan talks about food.

I am not looking for any sort of message board battle here. I am sure you're a decent person and not a bigot. You should, however, try to understand that being a minority is something comedians and artists NEED to talk about. It's only recently that black comics exist on the same plane as white comics, or that gay and lesbian comics can land slots in traditional clubs. Hell, even white women still have trouble making it. Scott obviously embraces this aspect of modern comedy culture, and I think there is a very conscious move on his part to introduce these comics to an audience that may never hear them otherwise.

In this specific case, I would question whether or not she's actually talking about being lesbian so often, or whether you are just hearing that because you've typecast her into that role. Sure, it is mentioned here and there(mostly due to Scott's provocation), but the majority of the episode has nothing to do with her sexuality. She actually played along with PFT much better than many others have.

• Like 6

can't we just get back to the important questions...?

can we expect PFT's sound effects CD to now get the CBB bump on itunes...?

did JW hear a crime go...?

am i the only one that caught Scott's "took awhile" in the last 5 minutes of this ep...?

• Like 4

Can we start a sub-thread with a list of Scott's rules to live his life?

Like how every restaurant should just be called restaurant.

And how he'll only go to a show if he has front row, center seats.

There's more. What else, what else?

• Like 8

C+ use of "88 Lines About 44 Women"

came here to mention this, glad to see I have been beat.

on a side note, I think a snippet of the song "Guys are not proud" from the Anemic Boyfriends has also been used on the podcast (not this ep though).

** correction "Guys Are Not Proud" by the Anemic Boyfriends is on How Did This Get Made, 2nd opinions clip.

Titles of movies shouldn't be any form of spoilers

• Like 3

Another episode that could've been a mess but turned out awesome. A boon. The always surprised laughing inventive give-and-take between Scott and PFT is the best thing. You guys are ridiculously good together. So much fun to listen to and thank you for taking the time.

Nice reference to the tv show (Scott got dry cleaning and his clothes came back sopping wet).

Just wondering, does anyone here subscribe to Naturebox? Is it worth it? (Seems kind of expensive.)

I haven't listened yet, I just found the link. I just wanted to instantly express my excitement that J.W. Stillwater is back. Here's a picture I made several months ago, but I didn't share because I didn't have an Earwolf account and I feared nobody on Facebook would understand it:

http://i.imgur.com/CgPGMMK.jpg

earwolf is your new facebook. welcome.

• Like 5

The greatest PFT/Scott exchange of 2014.

JW Stillwater: Okay could you shut up for just two seconds?

Scott: ONE THOUSAND ONE, ONE THOUSAND TWO

JW Stillwater: OH! You don't even have the decency to say Mississippi in the presence of a southern gentleman!

• Like 10

Esposito was delightful this time around; last time she felt stand-off-ish. Paul F Tomkins is an Earwolf treasure, 5 stars. *****

• Like 1

I am not looking for any sort of message board battle here. I am sure you're a decent person and not a bigot. You should, however, try to understand that being a minority is something comedians and artists NEED to talk about. It's only recently that black comics exist on the same plane as white comics, or that gay and lesbian comics can land slots in traditional clubs. Hell, even white women still have trouble making it. Scott obviously embraces this aspect of modern comedy culture, and I think there is a very conscious move on his part to introduce these comics to an audience that may never hear them otherwise.

In this specific case, I would question whether or not she's actually talking about being lesbian so often, or whether you are just hearing that because you've typecast her into that role. Sure, it is mentioned here and there(mostly due to Scott's provocation), but the majority of the episode has nothing to do with her sexuality. She actually played along with PFT much better than many others have.

To be clear I wrote that comment before I heard the episode and although she did talk about it it wasn't as bad I was expecting. So yeah she didn't talk about so often this time. But she does overwhelmingly depend on it. I listen to PYHT, I watch PYHT live and I go to a lot of other stand up shows where she might perform so I stand by my critism. Listen to all her stand up material you can find online, go watch her live anytime you can. It gets tiring very fast.

Just wondering, does anyone here subscribe to Naturebox? Is it worth it? (Seems kind of expensive.)

It piqued my interest when they first started advertising, so I did some research. You have to really dig into their site (check out the facts, it's the nutrition facts!) to see the actual amount of food you get, and it's really low for the price. Even at 50% off (which is just your first box), I didn't think it would be worth it.

• Like 1

To be clear I wrote that comment before I heard the episode and although she did talk about it it wasn't as bad I was expecting. So yeah she didn't talk about so often this time. But she does overwhelmingly depend on it. I listen to PYHT, I watch PYHT live and I go to a lot of other stand up shows where she might perform so I stand by my critism. Listen to all her stand up material you can find online, go watch her live anytime you can. It gets tiring very fast.

Haven't listed to the episode yet, and I'm looking forward to enjoying it shortly, but having heard Esposito on myriad podcast appearances now I feel your criticism is mostly on point. The Doug Loves Movies episode she was on recently comes to mind especially, she really seemed to be shoehorning bits about being a lesbian in unnecessarily. Plenty of comics use their life experience for the bulk of their material, which often works great, but to my mind the best comics are able to roll with any topic and just be naturally funny independent of any "material." I think the idea that one cannot criticize comics for over-reliance on one topic is a bit ridiculous.

• Like 4

Here we go again. Take a shot every time Cameron mentions she's gay.

Don't you guys hate it when James Adomian comes on the show and just talks about how he's gay and how he dresses gay? That's right he doesn't. His whole identity/comedy doesn't revolve around his sexuality and he actually has original material.

Way to ruin the comments section and make Scott hate all of us, man. We had finally recovers from the Pete Holmes episode. Scott was starting to like us again.

COME ON!!

• Like 7

Hold on, are you now telling us that you said 'Here we go again. Take a shot every time Cameron mentions she's gay' before you even listened to the podcast?

• Like 5

Songs cannot have titles—just Track 1, Track 2, etc.

• Like 5

His opinions on public toilets. Which are very confusing.

• Like 4

I want a Studio Ghibli movie with Cameron and JW fighting Professor StealWater in some magic airboat rides.

• Like 3

I've always thought of Comedy Bon-Bon as a home-aid, something that aids me in my home, I've just never had the words to describe it this way. Thanks again, JW.

"Words that sound alike even though they have different meanings, they should mean the same thing."

• Like 5