🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 314 — Y’all Heard Any of These Names Before?

I would totes ghost protes let Cameron eradicate me

Also, Scott saying "What's it called? U talkin' U2 to me?" That is precisely what it's called! I am beginning to think he knows exactly what stuff is called but is only trying to achieve some comedic effect by saying things wrong. Comedy big Bang theory my butt backpack! Still, 95 minutes of fantasmic fury and fun.

• Like 1

you can hit the big square stop button, or the +15sec button, or the 2x speed button (really 1.6 speed, but gets the job done)

So many ways to interact with podcasts!

• Like 2

Can we start a sub-thread with a list of Scott's rules to live his life?

Like how every restaurant should just be called restaurant.

And how he'll only go to a show if he has front row, center seats.

There's more. What else, what else?

I've been frustratingly trying to remember one that I have a vague memory of, something about songs being in real time I think

I think if JW Stillwater and Dalton Wilcox ever team up to fight bad guys and supernatural monsters, I may never listen to another podcast ever again.

• Like 3

i'm halfway into this episode and the lesbo comedian is a horrible guest. i think "yes and" is a concept she's not familiar with as well as being funny. scott and paul are so on the same page that she feels like a very awkward 3rd wheel that's dragging everything down with her.

i'm halfway into this episode and the lesbo comedian is a horrible guest. i think "yes and" is a concept she's not familiar with as well as being funny. scott and paul are so on the same page that she feels like a very awkward 3rd wheel that's dragging everything down with her.

1410516954367.png

People should read this dude's posts. He made an account just to shit on people. Keeps listening to just complain online to no one.

Genuinely garbage.

• Like 10

Can we start a sub-thread with a list of Scott's rules to live his life?

Like how every restaurant should just be called restaurant.

And how he'll only go to a show if he has front row, center seats.

There's more. What else, what else?

OBVIOUSLY no restaurants should have names b/c that would be a spoiler. It should just be, "Hey, I'm going to Restaurant 3,998,552. Wanna come?" And you don't find out what type of restaurant it is until you get there.

• Like 2

OBVIOUSLY no restaurants should have names b/c that would be a spoiler. It should just be, "Hey, I'm going to Restaurant 3,998,552. Wanna come?" And you don't find out what type of restaurant it is until you get there.

I have to strongly disagree, because the order the restaurant was built has just been spoiled. Unless that number is completely randomized, then I think you're right on the money. Although knowing that it's a restaurant is a bit of a spoiler itself...

OH MY OGD THERE WAS A RECORD SCRATCH! WHAT YEAR IS IT IN THE EDITORS MIND???????????????

The year of our lord.

• Like 2

I've been frustratingly trying to remember one that I have a vague memory of, something about songs being in real time I think

Pretty sure it was in the Paul Banks episode, and he said songs should be as long as the events the lyrics describe took to play out. I was surprised that they didn't mention it at the time, but this would mean that One Week by The Barenaked Ladies would be one week long.

• Like 1

I actually don't like Carmen either. But I'm a HUGE fan of Caramel.

I love I Love I Love I Love films, but I don't love I Love I Love films.

• Like 4

The description of Portland food being in bowls & piles is so accurate. I was recently staying with some friends in France and they asked what I eat normally since I'm vegan and I was like "you know, bowls of stuff, just all the food on top of each other."

• Like 2

The description of Portland food being in bowls & piles is so accurate. I was recently staying with some friends in France and they asked what I eat normally since I'm vegan and I was like "you know, bowls of stuff, just all the food on top of each other."

I've lived in Portland since I was 5 years old and the only bowl I've eaten is cereal haha. *rimshot*

I actually don't like Carmen either. But I'm a HUGE fan of Caramel.

I like Carmen, I do not like Caramel, but I do like PFT talking about Caramel.

• Like 1

you can hit the big square stop button, or the +15sec button, or the 2x speed button (really 1.6 speed, but gets the job done)

So many ways to interact with podcasts!

I do avoid her when I can you condescending ass. But to your point what am I supposed to do when I go see PYHT live? Wait outside anytime she's on stage?

I do avoid her when I can you condescending ass. But to your point what am I supposed to do when I go see PYHT live? Wait outside anytime she's on stage?

I think we've zeroed in on the problem.

Sincerely,

Condescending Ass #2

• Like 2

TL;DR alert, but I actually found the discussion on this thread interesting and wanted to throw in my four cents.

I'm not going to tread into the gender politics inherent in this discussion; I think it's possible that, in the very specific online alt-comedy community, Esposito is just a bit overexposed at the moment. I don't know how many Earwolfers read the AV Club, but she's been ALL OVER that site lately to the point where I sort of rolled my eyes when yet another interview with her was posted today.

Personally, I think she played along admirably with PFT and Scott during the character segment but the solo interview seemed to suggest that she's still honing her own comedic voice (which obviously takes a long time for most comics), which may partly explain why her appearances so often default to discussion of her sexuality. I don't think there's anything wrong with gay (or straight) comics drawing from their own life experiences in this area, but I don't really find the differences between gay and straight people to be all that interesting or entertaining in and of themselves so these segments always leave me a bit bored. There's just no accounting for comedic preference, I guess.

EDIT: Just had the thought that she could probably do solid character work on here if she ever gets the chance; she's obviously quick enough to pull it off.

• Like 2

And what the hell does "dresses gay" even mean???

This used to baffle me. I had a friend who would constantly be going on about how things were 'gay' and turning his nose up at them. My shirt was 'gay'. A song would come on the radio and he'd turn it off because it was 'gay'. He didn't watch certain television shows because they were 'gay'.

I confronted him about it and explained that none of these things can be gay because they don't have sexual organs, genders or the ability to be attracted to anything. He said that he meant that they were the kind of thing a gay person would like, which was again baffling to me. What did it matter if they were the kind of thing a gay person might like? That just means that this theoretical gay person he'd created in his mind had good taste.

Long story short, he was a homosexual and deeply ashamed / closeted about it, so whenever he saw or heard anything that he thought a gay person might like he had to distance himself from and criticise it lest anyone suspect him of being gay. People who are comfortable with their sexuality don't worry about this kind of stuff, they just like the stuff they like and dislike the stuff they dislike.

I still think about this all the time when someone says something is 'gay'.

• Like 2

I thought Cameron, Paul and Scott had great chemistry together!

All in all, a top notch C+ ep.

• Like 1