🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WayneMiller

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild Story Of Cannon Films

I need to see this. That studio is an absolute goldmine for this podcast. Masters of the Universe, Cobra, Over the Top. Any others that they've already done that I'm forgetting? And what Cannon film do you wish they'd do next? After hearing about how leftover sets/costumes from the abandoned MOTU sequel were used, I gotta assume Cyborg would be a good pick.

Where to start....

Considering that Superman IV: The Quest For Peace was shown on UK TV this evening, that should be near the top of their Cannon list.

My personal favourite is Death Wish III. But The Apple, Ninja III: Domination, Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo should all be on the list.

I loved that documentary "Electric Boogaloo" that and the one about the greatest story of all all time, Nicolas Cage superman "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened" if you like these kind of documentary's you should also check out "

the main problem with Cannon films and HDTGM is find the films, and finding them with big cast of actors who are over the top bad.

The apple 1980 is listed on amazon.com for as little as 25 dollars and as much as 70 dollars.

I like how under Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought are, Xanadu, Phantom of The Paradise, and this little gem. "Yor, The Hunter From The Future"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PWaJ6URRU0

Should I just go ahead and buy phantom and Yor along with apple.LOL

Yor was just kinda boring, I felt. Its overall more of the bad stupid. Beef Steakbody didn't get too many good moments, at least nothing like when he played Rock Punchgroin in Space Mutiny, and he was basically the only thing going for the movie. Then again, its been a while since I've seen it, but it didn't seem all that memorable to me.

Sort of wondering that, Thanks

hmm, so Customers Who Bought "Yor, The Hunter From The Future" also got a copy of "The BeastMaster" "Krull/Spacehunter" and "Megaforce" I forgot about this one. another fine Cannon Films feature.

Good god, The Beast Master. I remember going over to my friends house as young lad getting to watch this film on vhs. that movie I was tricked into thinking it was like "Conan The Barbarian" or something of the same level. boy, was I let down. later we watched "The Black Hole" I still can't to this day tell you what the blackout hole was about, other then a black hole and some R2D2 like floating droid and Ernest Borgnine is in it. and yet people give david lynch a bad time about Dune. I'll watch Dune over The Black hole anyday hands down and enjoy it.

I think they should do Megaforce and Breakin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuNa_h804c

do you remember leg warmers? LOL

Yor was just kinda boring, I felt. Its overall more of the bad stupid. Beef Steakbody didn't get too many good moments, at least nothing like when he played Rock Punchgroin in Space Mutiny, and he was basically the only thing going for the movie. Then again, its been a while since I've seen it, but it didn't seem all that memorable to me.

He was also Captain America in the two TV movies, one of which featured Christopher Lee dying of old age nearly FORTY YEARS ago! He really hung in there!

I loved that documentary "Electric Boogaloo" that and the one about the greatest story of all all time, Nicolas Cage superman "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened" if you like these kind of documentary's you should also check out "

Goddamn, I loved that Superman Documentary. I wanted to see that film! Would have kicked the ass of Man Of Steel, frankly.

• Like 1

Y'all...

I found this at Wal-Mart on DVD for 5 bucks. It's like on the SHELF for 5 bucks. I didn't even have to suffer the indignity of swimming through the discount bin to find it. This is pretty good for something that's only been out for a couple of months, and you all need to take advantage of Wal-Mart failing to recognize the goldmine that they're sitting on!

"The Apple" is availiable on prime. its like a combination between eurovision, death race, the rocky horror picture show and the bible. watch it, it is one of the the most awful things i have ever seen, and i have watched all 11 episodes of cop rock.

Electric Boogo is really awesome. And so is the Superman doc. I love bad/weird movie documentaries.

There's another one that came out last year that I saw at a festival a couple months back. It's called "Remake, Remix, Rip-Off: About Copy Culture and Turkish Pop Cinema."

It's all about 60s and 70s Turkish cinema and how they were creating films so fast and just recycling whatever was popular coming out of Hollywood. There's a REALLY great segment in it on "The Man Who Saved the World," which is also known as "Turkish Star Wars."

The other week i was looking up Cannon Films on Wikipedia and i was looking at there list of films they put out and i was laughing out loud at how many films they would put out in one year in the 1980's

Like the asshole I am, I went Thanksgiving shopping to make those gross poor people (who should get out of our skies) work to sell me plastic shit I don't need. At Best Buy, there was a 10-movie pack of Cannon films plus the Electric Boogaloo documentary for $40. I was tempted to pick it up, but I saw that I already own most of these pieces of shit movies because they hold a special, sentimental place in my 1980s heart. Among the titles were Masters, Over the Top, Cobra, Missing in Action, Invasion USA, and a few others.

• Like 1

Incredibly fun documentary now streaming on Netflix about Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, the Israeli cousins behind the studio that brought you three (and counting) HDTGM movies--Lifeforce, Over the Top, and Masters of the Universe.

Any number of Cannon's other offerings would be great podcast fodder. They go into a reasonable amount of detail about each of the movies, and how the relatively large budgets for Over the Top, Masters of the Universe, and Superman IV basically bankrupted the studio.

Great documentary. Somebody needs to put together a supercut of all the nudity in the Cannon films and send it back in time to a 13 year old me.

• Like 1

Great documentary. Somebody needs to put together a supercut of all the nudity in the Cannon films and send it back in time to a 13 year old me.

I think 13-year-old me saw most of those movies when they were on Showtime! Man, Showtime was BIG on that early 80s softcore stuff...

My favorite part of this documentary is the title card that pops up and says the two Israeli guys made their own documentary about Cannon films and put it out 3 months before this one. Because they learned a lot from the Forbidden Dance/Lambada situation.

• Like 2

My favorite part of this documentary is the title card that pops up and says the two Israeli guys made their own documentary about Cannon films and put it out 3 months before this one. Because they learned a lot from the Forbidden Dance/Lambada situation.

And that was one of MY favorite parts, how the competition to see who could release the first Lambada movie was like the shittiest arms race ever.*

* This post is dedicated to the rain forests, y'all.

• Like 2

Sad to say I own many Cannon films. Superman 4, Over the Top, Masters of the Universe, just to name the HDTGM alumi.

There are so many possible episodes that can be made from the Cannon library, holy shit. I'm starting to think that Menaham just lost a lot of weight and changed his name to Tommy Wiseau.

I'm watching the Superman doc right now and am liking what I see so far, though the editing is kinda weird in that some lines are repeated from different angles. Also there is a troll version on youtube which goes into about 10 minutes of the film but then the other 80 minutes is the lead twitching in a hallway with two people wearing Bioshock Splicer masks.

If you guys haven't seen it yet, watch Confessions of a Superhero which follows a handful of people who dress up as superheroes and busk on Hollywood Blvd. The majority of these people are certifiable nutso, especially the guys who dress as Batman and Superman, but the overall story is really an interesting look into these people's lives.

If you guys haven't seen it yet, watch Confessions of a Superhero which follows a handful of people who dress up as superheroes and busk on Hollywood Blvd. The majority of these people are certifiable nutso, especially the guys who dress as Batman and Superman, but the overall story is really an interesting look into these people's lives.

That's a good doc, but it's also incredibly depressing. The Batman guy is kind of a douche, so his particular brand of crazy goes down easier. But the Superman dude's story was kind of heartbreaking.

Sign in to follow this