🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HotSaucerman

The Ignorable Thread

This recommendation forum is straight up meaningless. They don't read this shit. Paul just does whatever movie floats into his consciousness. There's so many classic bad movies but they insist on doing the most "who gives a shit" movies possible. Like, I really hate this podcast lately. It fucking sucks.

Whoa, whoa, Cornballs. Let me talk you off the ledge. You are obviously in the second stage (i.e., anger) of the Kubler-Ross model of reactions to watching the movie "Temptation." I admit that anger (stage 2) and depression (stage 4) occupied substantial amounts of my energy after I watched "Temptation." But the episode was really funny and the board has been great. Besides, if you give up on the show now, Tyler Perry wins.

• Like 2

You're right, ya know. I have a history of Tyler Perry hatred. I used to go to bed at night, enjoy a nice episode of Conan, maybe an episode or two of The Office... only to wake up to see TBS playing Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns. NOOOOO!!!! [curls up in fetal position and rocks back and forth]

• Like 1

This forum has had quite a few movies used in the show, though the FYI maybe isn't referred to as much as most would like. The forum acts as a way for all of us who love shitty movies to share that knowledge with others that have a common interest. There have been rare times when trolls have come in and tried to ruin it for everyone (the dreaded summer of 2013 comes to mind), but overall it has been a forum designed to laugh and share in some of the worst experiences in cinema.

• Like 8

I hate to be the one to go back to this same old response, but fuck it it never stops being worthwhile remembering. it's free, they do all the work, you literally have to do nothing but have it served up to you, and it's Paul's fucking podcast so yeah he's gonna do whatever he wants. get over it

• Like 4

The way I see it they are only able to do about 26 movies a year, and that's if everything goes to plan. We all have our pet movies we want to hear talked about, but there are so many movies out there worth talking about there is no way they can get to them all. This at least gives us an outlet to talk about these movies until they can get around to it, and there is no guarantee they ever will.

Personally, I trust their choices more than my own. For the longest time I wanted them to do the The Recruit, but I hadn't seen it in years, I just remembered hating it. Recently I found it for like 5 bucks and bought it for a laugh. I was disappointed that it wasn't as crazy as I remembered it being. In fact, aside from one or two moments, it was just really dull...I didn't even finish it.

• Like 4

Maybe cornballs is paying some back alley dealer for cassette recordings of the podcast at increasingly inflated prices. Or maybe he's got some kind of time-share on an ipod.

I've got my own hopes for future movie choices (c'mon, Space Jam!) but I find that generally speaking it doesn't really matter what film it is when the gang is firing on all blazing guns. 88 Minutes certainly isn't a film you'd naturally expect to lead to the joyfest that is 'HDTGM: 88 Minutes'.

• Like 2

I don't care if they read the forums or not or pick the movies here. this is our play house and I very much enjoy talking about movies and sharing shit with ours. I've taken away a lot of great movies from this site. I would not have other wise known about or watch if it wasn't for people like you guys. :D

Sootster figured out how they pick the shows, it's all clear now. Thank you amazon, five stars.

• Like 5

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't currently own Miami Connection and Riki-Oh.

• Like 3

I agree completely about coming to this subforum to discuss bad movies with everyone else and that Paul, Jason and June have limited ability to take on films. That said though, I think that they could make better use of FYI. Shariq did an amazing job making it and I think that maybe twice a year they they could pick out a handful of movies and for a couple of months Paul direct people to the site in the minisode to vote to do a "listeners choice" film. That would probably be a good balance. Also if this subforum was called "Bad Movie Discussion" it would probably set people's expectations a little more accurately.

• Like 5

I mean I agree with OP that I wish they used the forum more because there are some legit recommendations in here, but that post was pretty harsh. I still love the podcast. I think there was a conscious effort on the part of Paul to avoid movies that every other bad movie podcast/show/column/etc has done - Gymkata not withstanding - but movies like Blank Check, Gothica, Vibrations, My Father the Hero and Ecks vs Sever are all great recommendations that they should consider doing.

My two big things are: 1.) this is the most commented forum on Earwolf and it is completely ignored by the podcast it supports, which is odd; and 2.) I would love to hear Mantzoukas tee off on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Dreamcatcher so bad

Podcast is always great so I can't agree there (full disclosure - I wanted them to do Temptation because it's so completely insane), but I do agree with Lando that it would be nice if FYI saw some actual use. I know Shariq & Shannon & others put a lot of effort into it and it seems a shame to waste it. But the trio have preferences too and there are probably some movies we've recommended where they just go, 'Uhhh no, I'm not sitting through that'.

if you think like a podcaster, then you would know that if you did a podcast about movies and you used all of these great movies like "Southland Tales" and "vampires Kiss" "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans", "Showgirls" and dare I say it "The Happening" so what next. you've used up all of your great movies. You've played your hand too early and now your left with a bag of shit cards you can't use. or shit movies. I think what paul is doing is saving the good movies for a later time so he, alwasy has a backup show to make a padcast with. sure they could do a showgirls podcast and it would be great you can take that one to the bank but what's for dinner tomorrow night. if you look at movie podcasts the ideas run out fast and we all know he's not doing 70's movies so that really limits down the type of movies he's going to pick.

• Like 2

if you think like a podcaster, then you would know that if you did a podcast about movies and you used all of these great movies like "Southland Tales" and "vampires Kiss" "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans", "Showgirls" and dare I say it "The Happening" so what next. you've used up all of your great movies. You've played your hand too early and now your left with a bag of shit cards you can't use. or shit movies. I think what paul is doing is saving the good movies for a later time so he, alwasy has a backup show to make a padcast with. sure they could do a showgirls podcast and it would be great you can take that one to the bank but what's for dinner tomorrow night. if you look at movie podcasts the ideas run out fast and we all know he's not doing 70's movies so that really limits down the type of movies he's going to pick.

I understand that they don't want the tank to run dry, but after nearly 100 reviews, I think it's safe to bust out some of the big guns on occasion if for no other reason than to get us to finally shut up about them. There are some that would be so much fun to talk about that DO run the risk of getting overexposed if they aren't already or the crew doesn't get to them in time, and I don't want that to happen. That said, they should never do Phantom Menace, because it's an absolute bore to sit through, a bore to talk about, and it's the deadest horse there is. I don't think I've ever seen another movie that was so unentertaining that's gotten so, so, so much press after the fact. I think it might be because it's "hated" by people that have a hard time genuinely hating things. They hated it so much that they saw it five times in the theater, bought all the merch, complained about THAT, have purchased the movie in every available format, and continue to seek out feature-length reviews of the film on various geek sites and YouTube channels.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this