🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 95.5 — Minisode 95.5

Halloween is coming up so you know what that means! Next week is a special Halloween episode of HDTGM all about the story of a monkey and his owner. Paul goes through the many Corrections and Omissions for Tyler Perry’s Temptation, demands that Nicolas Cage appear in a Tyler Perry film, and talks Meatloaf Mondays vs. Taco Tuesdays as he gives As to your Qs. Be sure to help Paul with an upcoming podcast project and ask Sylvester Stallone a question by sending an email to askstallone@gmail.com!

Los Angeles: Get your tickets now for a LIVE HDTGM at Largo on Friday, December 5th at 8pm over at www.largo-la.com!

Pick up your copy of Deadpool Bi-Annual #1 written by Paul & Nick Giovannetti at www.amazon.com or wherever comic books are sold!

Make sure to tune into the brand new season of The League on Wednesday nights at 10pm over on FXX and check out The Hotwives of Orlando now over at www.hulu.com!

Also, check out Jason Mantzoukas in “They Came Together” on VOD, June Diane Raphael & Casey Wilson in ASS BACKWARDS for free on Netflix & HULU & Paul in OJ: The Musical available on VOD & iTunes! Don’t forget to grab yourself a brand new HDTGM Daredevil T-shirt over at the Earwolf store and a copy of Paul’s comic book Aliens Vs. Parker now available at www.amazon.com!

• Like 1

I saw Monkey Shines when I was around 7 or 8 and found it really disturbing. Many years later I got the chance to interview George Romero, and when I mentioned this to him he seemed surprised. I think he felt he'd intentionally made it a comedy. In his words "I guess it had a few scares in it." I have the feeling if I watch it now I'll feel a little bit embarrassed for my pre-teen self.

• Like 1

What's this new podcast?

After the success of the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, I think Earwolf is expanding their portfolio of limited-run, character-based shows. We know that a Wompler and Listler show is in the works, and Lauren Lapkus is doing something, so I'd guess this is Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer reprising their roles as The Stallone Bros.

• Like 5

Matteo Delano Quemado (the guy who asked you to spell out his name), means "Matteo of the Burnt Anus" btw

What's the controversy with June? Did she say something racist? Something like TYLER PERRY APPEALS TO THE WORST ASPECTS OF BLACK AMERICAN CULTURE AND IS AN ALL-AROUND HACK?

After the success of the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, I think Earwolf is expanding their portfolio of limited-run, character-based shows. We know that a Wompler and Listler show is in the works, and Lauren Lapkus is doing something, so I'd guess this is Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer reprising their roles as The Stallone Bros.

I wonder if all of those are a part of ONE new show where different CBB characters answer listener questions each week. One week it would be Wompler and Listler, the next week Reardon and the next the Stallones, and so on.

• Like 1

I just had to, just listening to the show right now.

dear Sylvester Stallone, do you like to fart?

I am notsure what I would ever ask Mr stallone..

YES!

MONKEY SHINES

i am so ready for this...

This song isn't in the movie Monkey shines but it should be. then it would be a masterpiece. at the credits roll point of the movie.

• Like 1

I've asked Mr. Stallone if he was disappointed that Ivan Drago wasn't seen as the tragic hero that he obviously intended him to be.

• Like 1

Dear Mr Stallone, You're such an amazing and talented actor but a lot of people may not know this but you also just so happened to be a brilliant and amazing writer how do you come up with all of those amazing ideas for your movies. keep up the good work, Jarrycanada.

They're recording it RIGHT NOW!

Got love questions you want WOMPED? Email wompupthejamz@gmail.com before 4 pm PST! @lennonparham #turnaround #wompitup
  • Like 1

WOMPTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things in regard to Monkey Shines:

First of all, this movie reinforces my theory that Stanley Tucci is in everything.

Second, my favorite line in the movie is when the main character tells Ella (the monkey), "If I'm gonna suffer through this shit, you're gonna suffer with me." I liked it because the actor had a genuine smile on his face. I imagine he had a real meta moment when delivering that line.

• Like 1

I both love and hate Paul for getting me to watch "Monkey Shines." It's like a mashup of "Congo," "Fatal Attraction," and "Misery." The movie was hilarious, but it was also really sad. If the goal of the directors was to make the monkey the most sympathetic character, they succeeded.

• Like 1

Before I commit to watching the movie, can someone tell me if this monkey knows which way is up?

• Like 2

I hope this isn't the last George Romero movie because the later "Dead" movies are pretty fucking bad.

I don't have EPIX on my cable but I do get some channel called Epix drive in. anyway, I noticed Monkey Shines will be playing a couple times on Saturday, just a heads up if anyone else gets that channel

This is a perfect time to change my profile pic...

207050_505742900486_6026_n.jpg?oh=7b1bca24bf15f952d6131f39d6f414b9&oe=54AD4311&__gda__=1421220241_e91276c71e8befbd69ef0f978f086832

This actually WASN'T taken at the same time or place as the Lloyd pic, but I do believe it was the same month, like three weeks apart. I live in Evans City, ground zero for the Romero-verse, and he came and accepted an award and talked at my school (Slippery Rock University) in April 2006.

More on-topic, it turns out that my friend Dave was around when "Monkey Shines" was being filmed, and he recalls seeing an over-sized prop phone. "Why was it over-sized", you might ask? It's so that it looked the right size in the close-ups when a regular-sized man wore a monkey glove in shots where the monkey appeared to be picking up a phone. Movie magic!

Edit: I don't know why the hell it won't let me upload it as my profile pic...

• Like 1

So....Monkey Shines has a real "will they, won't they" vibe to it.

That being said, who had the stronger hotter, sexual tension: Peter and Amy in Congo, or Allan and Ella in this?

Random observation: So a Casablanca movie poster on Allan's wall appears on screen about two dozen times during this movie. How many other Casablanca references have their been in past HDTGM movies? Obviously there were quite a few in The Glimmer Man, but have other creators of shitty movies tried to make their movie better by including some allusion to this classic film?

• Like 1

Random observation: So a Casablanca movie poster on Allan's wall appears on screen about two dozen times during this movie. How many other Casablanca references have their been in past HDTGM movies? Obviously there were quite a few in The Glimmer Man, but have other creators of shitty movies tried to make their movie better by including some allusion to this classic film?

Barb Wire springs immediately to mind...

Also, the bird is named "Bogey," but it isn't his bird. So it wasn't just a character thing...

It seems that in this world, people can't go a day without thinking about Casablanca.

Oh! Batman and Robin too!

Man, it is pretty ballsy to remind people of a movie that is universally hailed as one of the greatest movies of all time in any film, much less the garbage films discussed here. That's some gumption right there. I gotta respect it.

• Like 1

I totally forgot about Barb Wire! I guess I just blocked that ENTIRE PLOT out of my mind.

The classic Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode of the 1983 "film" 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank,' starring Raul Julia, also heavily borrows/steals/uses footage from 'Casablanca.' I wonder if you could edit a complete version of 'Casablanca' using footage from other movies that have stolen from 'Casablanca'?

• Like 1

I totally forgot about Barb Wire! I guess I just blocked that ENTIRE PLOT out of my mind.

The classic Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode of the 1983 "film" 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank,' starring Raul Julia, also heavily borrows/steals/uses footage from 'Casablanca.' I wonder if you could edit a complete version of 'Casablanca' using footage from other movies that have stolen from 'Casablanca'?

This would be amazing! That MST3K episode is one of my favorites.

I also just remembered Ernest does an impression of Bogart doing a line from Casablanca in Ernest Goes to Jail, so that could be added to the cut as well.

1. Was Tyler Perry the true creator of Monkey Shines: An Experiment in Fear?

2. Did George R. R. Martin draw inspiration from Monkey Shines: An Experiment in Fear for his WOGs in Game of Thrones?