🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 316 — In the Larp Run

Dane Cook and Reggie Watts dig deep to talk comedy on this week’s B-B-B-BONUS Comedy Bang Bang! Scott, Reggie and Dane share their excitement for the mid-season premiere of season three of Comedy Bang Bang: The TV series, which premieres on IFC on Friday, October 17th & Dane’s new stand-up special Troublemaker which premieres on Showtime on Friday, October 17th as well by sharing stories from the set of CBB. Troubled teen Rick Faber also returns to update us on some of the immature behavior he has been doing toward nerds before going head to head with Dane & Reggie in a dang game of Would You Rather!

It was pretty different to hear things get to be a bit more serious in the beginning, but it was refreshing. It was nice to hear Dane's perspective. As someone that aspires to be a comedian it was very nice to hear what performing at the highest level is like. It's also interesting to hear Dane be so candid and introspective about what he did, what he was doing, and how he changed his approach. I know that there was and still are a lot of people that don't like him or don't like his stand up and I can see how he could rub people the wrong way, but on the show and on another podcast I heard him on he seems like a very humble guy.

I think I liked the rest of the show, but I was too busy sending snapchats of my dang dick to fully comprehend it.

That being said the idea that CBB TV may end up on the chopping block deeply saddens me. It doesn't belong on the chopping block since it is a delightful show that makes the world happy inside and not a piece of wood that is in need of chopping. On a more positive note, the idea of Eric Andre and Weird Al being on the same show is chaotic. I love both of them, but I don't think you could get two people on further ends of the comedic spectrum. I'm incredibly curious to see how that turned out.

Looking forward to the new episodes and hoping more episodes will follow.

I wish Rick Faber was on more often, but I guess his appearances are reliant on how often he encounters that fancyboy Niles Fortchime...

• Like 5

That being said the idea that CBB TV may end up on the chopping block deeply saddens me. It doesn't belong on the chopping block since it is a delightful show that makes the world happy inside and not a piece of wood that is in need of chopping.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the episode yet so forgive me if there's new information but on the chopping block how? After these next 10 they've got an order for 40 more. That's 50 new episodes in the next year or two, not exactly on it's death bed, unless they can cancel it before then i dunno

• Like 2

That part was a little strange in the interview where Scott was trying to explain to Dane that he didn't think everyone at MSG was there to see him. Who just buys a ticket to a random expensive event and then just passes out through it, or doesn't pay attention. Seemed like some weird thing where Scott was trying to get Dane to say that really it's not as great as everyone thinks it is to sell out MSG. Anyways good show.

I am just 25 minutes into the show and already distracted.

Dane seems to have his dates mixed up.

Didn't Steve Martin quit stand-up in 1981? When did Steve sell out Madison Square Garden?

Dane would have been around 9 years old and not his teens in 1981.

The rumors of Dane Cook being a giant douchebag are greatly exaggerated. His standup isn't for me, but shucks to all those people who attacked him in a personal way.

• Like 9

Am I the only one who found the first segment to be really cringeworthy? It felt like Dane Cook was trying to garner sympathy with the sob story about anxiety as a child, and the whole MSG conversation was uncomfortable on both sides.

That said, it's cool to see Scott's interview chops in a more serious context and it's cool of Dave to go on a show whose fanbase may not think very highly of him.

• Like 3

Scott and people of CBB you really really need to explain to new guests beforehand that CBB isn't actually an interview show.

Also I have no idea who Dane Cook is, this guest is a controversial choice?

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to listen to the episode yet so forgive me if there's new information but on the chopping block how? After these next 10 they've got an order for 40 more. That's 50 new episodes in the next year or two, not exactly on it's death bed, unless they can cancel it before then i dunno

I may have read too much into things, but towards the beginning Scott mentions how they used to follow MA-RON! but didn't follow him very far due to ratings. I understand that's a joke, but he later goes on to say in the plugs that whether or not people watch this season determines whether or not they get to do another season. After listening again it doesn't sound as bad as I thought though. The first time I listened things seemed a bit more cryptic than they may have intended to be.

• Like 1

Scott and people of CBB you really really need to explain to new guests beforehand that CBB isn't actually an interview show.

... He has a couch on his TV show... And he interviews everyone from Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jesse Ventura, to Björk and Ben Schwartz...

• Like 2

The rumors of Dane Cook being a giant douchebag are greatly exaggerated. His standup isn't for me, but shucks to all those people who attacked him in a personal way.

Dane Cook was one of the first comedians I got really into, and probably one of the main reasons I listen to comedy now. I'll always like him for that, even if he did lift that itchy asshole bit (although that episode of Louie with him was a great way to get that kind of behind us). Will always remember him in the black tank top hopping around the stage like a dinosaur in his CC half hour way back when.

• Like 4

It's always special when they get NY comedians in. Always makes me feel that that young jokester Colin Quinn might be on soon. Looking forward to this.

I may have read too much into things, but towards the beginning Scott mentions how they used to follow MA-RON! but didn't follow him very far due to ratings. I understand that's a joke, but he later goes on to say in the plugs that whether or not people watch this season determines whether or not they get to do another season. After listening again it doesn't sound as bad as I thought though. The first time I listened things seemed a bit more cryptic than they may have intended to be.

i don't think anyone's talked about this, but i really do feel like IFC did a less than average (C-) job of promoting the third season.

i really do think the new time slot and pairing it in front of birthday boys will help a ton.

if there is anything we, the fans, can do besides buying all the dvds and t-shirts and forcing our former significant others -- who we then married -- to watch, please let us know!

• Like 1

No Full House love from Scott, I felt a bit of my soul slip away when he said he's never seen it. What about Family Matters? Fresh Prince?! I guess he was too busy getting laid with sex to care about family-friendly television. Great episode so far though, my only regret is that I don't get to hear Dane Cook and H.R. Giger talk about the inky darkness in their souls together. Maybe one day.

• Like 3

No Full House love from Scott, I felt a bit of my soul slip away when he said he's never seen it.

I think I was more upset about it than you. What's up Scottdog?! :(

The lingering trauma of hearing the Hollywood Facts song after hearing it 500 times in that one episode.. I laughed!

• Like 5

oh ok, I wasn't sure if there was a more explicit mention, but you know it's always going to be a question with a show like this, it's a pretty cult thing that appeals to a much more specific sense of humor than a lot of mainstream comedy shows, and particularly appeals to people like us who have a familiarity with the rhythms and sense of humor of the show so who knows. I do know they're supposed to make a lot more so fingers crossed, every tune in Friday! and serious skip the Dane Cook special, CBB is more important.

• Like 1

I've said be before and I'll say it again... Dane Cook is great! don't believe the hype... it's so easy to pile on someone who's as successful as he is. not to directly compare him to Carlin, but it's pretty interesting if you consider both their careers... if you go back and watch his early specials, he physically oversold the shit out of his jokes just like Dane is infamous for doing (he'll even admit it himself, i.e. the scissor kick comment). as far as the stealing of jokes and essences and all that, shit happens... doesn't mean he's any less funny.

so far this episodes is reminding me of the early years where it wasn't bit after bit 100% of the time... and it's a good change of pace after listening to the UTU2TM ep that took immediate priority this morning.

• Like 1