🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 316 — In the Larp Run

I'll be honest; never been a Dane Cook fan. But I have to say, listening to him on this show made me at least appreciate the fact that he's committed to what he does, committed to evolving,and trying new directions.

I may not like every comedian but I can still appreciate their passion for what they do. So good on ya, Dane Cook!

• Like 2

Reggie Watts, laying down the best predictive rhymes of this or any other generation

• Like 1

So I am one of those 14 year olds they were talking about. I got a burned copy of Harmful if Swallowed when I was in 9th grade and I became obsessed with it. I memorized it like it was music and it made me so so happy. I was such a big fan until the Myspace/MSG days when I felt like he'd become a shadow of himself who was nothing but catchphrases. But that special he did after his parents died kind of helped heal my wounds as a fan. I haven't really paid attention to him since then, but I listened to Harmful if Swallowed a little while ago and still laughed so hard.

I totally get why people don't like him, but I will forever be thankful to him because he was the first stand up I ever cared about which led me to discover my love of stand up and comedy in general.

Will always remember him in the black tank top hopping around the stage like a dinosaur in his CC half hour way back when.

...me too. ^_^

Anyway, I sure hope this "Noel Clambell" guy stops getting harassed by so many shitty teens. It sounds like it happens way too often.

tumblr_n5alcgfNH91s9qqfgo2_250.gif

• Like 6

I'll jump in here and just say this: I really had a fondness for Dane Cook when I was growing up. I saw his Vicious Circle special on CC when it came out and I would quote with friends at school. I was in 6th grade, and you know, since then my comedy preferences have changed and I enjoy different stuff now. Dane Cook hasn't really been on my radar for over nearly 10 years now, but I certainly think he's a pretty funny guy even if I don't really connect with his stand up anymore.

Great ep! Solid C

• Like 3

As a current fan of what people consider to be alt-comedy, it would still be an absolute lie for me to say I wasn't taken by Dane Cook's CC special and Harmful if Swallowed in 8th/9th grade. It really was a big jumping off point for me in terms of being an actual fan of comedy. And it would also be a lie for me to say I wasn't part of the backlash against him once I found out it wasn't cool to like him. I wish I had been able to have the foresight to realize how silly that was but its tough when you're that young. Glad to see people have come around on him.

About an hour into the podcast, I think to myself "Hey, I know a lot of people don't like Dane Cook. I wonder if they will be nice about him in the comments section? I don't want to spoil any good surprise jokes... But I've already listened to two thirds of the episode. I've probably heard the interesting parts already. Anyway if I read the first few posts it's usually people commenting before they listen, or on the beginning parts of the podcast."

This is what I told myself. Then I read the third post.

Hahah, okay, Hollywood Facts as the @CBBWYR theme really made me laugh. Sad that it wasn't meant to be.

AAAHHH! IF I HAD JUST LISTENED FIVE MORE MINUTES I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CRACK UP AT THE SURPRISE HOLLYWOOD FACTS THEME! MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Don't feel bad, DoctorGenius. I'm just mad at myself.

• Like 4

I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of you on Cook. I kind of cringed when I saw he was on Sklarbro a few weeks ago, but he's fine. Neither that nor this was one of my favorites and I'm not going to seek out his stand-up or anything, but he's a perfectly nice, funny guy who seems to have a good perspective on everything and he played along well.

And of course Rick Faber is the best.

And the Hollywood Facts theme was EASILY the funniest moment of the episode. I really want to know if it was a fuck-botch or a joke by the unnamed engineer (and I'm not sure which would be funnier).

• Like 1

does Dane think he's on Maron? such a deadpan biography style interview. was hoping he'd get into some "yes and" improv, but it didn't click.

• Like 2

Hope this wasn't mentioned already but Rick Faber reminds me (both in voice and spirit) a lot of Scott's nephew Todd. I feel like they would get along, although I don't know if it would be for the better.

• Like 7

The takeaway here is that God Damn It Rory Scovel needs to be on the show again.

• Like 3

A small selection of folks seem to be ragging on the more serious tone of the first segment but I didn't get the impression that Scott was trying to take it in a different direction or anything. Dane wasn't being self-centered in my view, he was just going along with the questions Scott asked him and there's nothing wrong with that. He was trying to get into it a little with Rick but seemed to be unfamiliar with the character or the bit and he's not the first person to fall into that. If I had one gripe about the show it was not enough Reggie.

Regarding CBBTV, they originally aired on Friday nights. I also seem to remember Scott making a comment that their viewership wasn't all that great in their original slot (maybe part of why they were moved to Thursdays?) so I guess we'll see how it goes with them moving back.

the teen that knows that he sucks primarily for being a teenager... such a brilliant character. brought me much joy.

ps i'm old.

• Like 4

The takeaway here is that God Damn It Rory Scovel needs to be on the show again.

I have been waiting five years for Rory Scovel to be on CBB for the first time. The couple of old Death rays episodes he did are still some of my absolute favorite.

• Like 2

Mr. Brooks was TERRIBLE. I saw it on a date and I think it sparked the break-up that came soon-after.

Dane wasn't great on the pod but I think that was mostly Scott's fault. He asked too many "normal" questions about Dane's career and allowed him to be lame.

Dat Fenway tee in dat pic tho... whaddup, Dane i feel u.

Mr. Brooks was TERRIBLE. I saw it on a date and I think it sparked the break-up that came soon-after.

Dane wasn't great on the pod but I think that was mostly Scott's fault. He asked too many "normal" questions about Dane's career and allowed him to be lame.

Dat Fenway tee in dat pic tho... whaddup, Dane i feel u.

I saw Mr Brooks recently and was surprised I didn't think it was bad, and Dane Cook was actually good in it, right for it, and so on.

I am surprised to read that a bunch of commenters are younger and were in middle school when he was in control of the comedy landscape. I think Dane was a bit off with his timing, as I was in college and recall him coming to my school, so it had to be around 2003-2005 at that time. I went because a bunch of friends wanted to go, but I can recall already being at the point of "this guy is so overrated and not actually all that funny". He definitely got bigger after that, and he definitely was very funny when I did see him.

I thought of him as a joke kind of now, but I was fine with him on the show. The serious tone of his interview was definitely driven there by Scott, some of the most serious questions I've ever heard him ask a guest for sure, so only blame Scott if you thought it wasn't funny enough. I thought it towed the line of not funny enough and just enough gentle CBB tangents to keep me fully entertained and interested. I went away from the Pcast liking Dane a lot more and definitely not holding his past against him in his future endeavors.... but if this special he's advertising for sucks... then I'll go through another Dane Cook-cleanse

Dane Cook just pretty much described the plot to the movie Space Camp.

• Like 3

I have fond memories of listening to Dane Cook for a couple months in high school. Girls seemed to like him, so I seemed to like him too. Sit down close to a girl you like, share your earbuds with her, listen to whatever his special was at the time... Next thing you know, you're flippin through a vagina.

But the best memories were after that, when I'd say "Hey, have you heard of Paul F Tompkins?"

Give a girl Dane Cook, flip through her vagina for a few minutes.

Give a girl PFT, flip through her vagina for a lifetime.

• Like 7

Give a girl Dane Cook, flip through her vagina for a few minutes.

Give a girl PFT, flip through her vagina for a lifetime.

any etsy nerds wanna sew this on a pillow? I will buy it.

• Like 3

If you're jonesin for some Rory check out his episodes of the Todd Glass Show. He kills it every time

• Like 1