🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 316 — In the Larp Run

I have fond memories of listening to Dane Cook for a couple months in high school. Girls seemed to like him, so I seemed to like him too. Sit down close to a girl you like, share your earbuds with her, listen to whatever his special was at the time... Next thing you know, you're flippin through a vagina.

But the best memories were after that, when I'd say "Hey, have you heard of Paul F Tompkins?"

Give a girl Dane Cook, flip through her vagina for a few minutes.

Give a girl PFT, flip through her vagina for a lifetime.

really? I suspect this works with a very low number of girls/women. I think PFT's humor is the kind that makes the average american woman say "who is this? why does this make you laugh?"

Although my fiance does really enjoy Speakeasy episodes for some reason

I feel terrible about my first post here being negative, so I'll try to tart it up and make something positive out of what I really want to say. OK, here I go. Ahem:

I think that if CBB benefits by bringing a former comedy superstar on their show, than doing so was a worthwhile endeavor. If at least one person who likes Dane Cook can be drawn into listening to CBB, then goodness shall ultimately prevail.

Rick Faber seems to only come on the show when he feels bad about somethings he did to this Noel Clampbell guy. Maybe one of these days Scott can get both of them on the show for a reconciliation.

• Like 1

I really liked Dane Cooks first album, and I saw him perform live once for a small crowd (Newport, RI, outdoor tent). Got on the bandwagon of hate when there was a backlash against him, justified by the following reasons:

• Noticed how fratbro-y his audience was (ughh, yuck)
  • Noticed how thin some of his material was, and only sold on being overly physical or through vocal antics
  • Heard about him stealing material from other people

In retrospect, I was probably a little harsh. He definitely blew up and got overexposed, and I still think my beefs were fairly legit (especially the joke stealing shit, what are you, Carlos Mencia?!?), but he's definitely a funny guy. I have more respect from him now from his appearance (he's only done this once? for some reason I swore he was on an older episode), and should probably give his newer material / specials a shot.

Oh, but then again he voiced that plane in that Planes movie, which my son made me see, and that movie had no soul.

Fuck this guy.

( ;))

EDIT: I forgot to mention, Neil is always a welcome guest! I'm not sure if there's any character guests I DON'T like, but I don't think he's done a character I didn't appreciate.

• Like 1

Scott and people of CBB you really really need to explain to new guests beforehand that CBB isn't actually an interview show.

I hate this notion that CBB should be a set thing where Scott bullshits with a guest until some character comes on. Why can't CBB be an interview show when an interesting new guest is there?
  • Like 9

I wasn't ever a huge fan of Dane Cook, but I can certainly appreciate his story and respect the amount of work he's done. I think that's something that a lot of people just overlook when it comes to these overexposed, often times exploited mega-stars--- More often then not, They work really fucking hard and usually really fucking wanted to be the best they could be. Hearing Dank's actor's pain just further validated that concept for me. Excited to see how he develops.

Reggie was a delight. Neil's character would make a great show where self-cognizance becomes contagious among teens and Zero Fucks Boyd(Of The Chris Gethard Show) and the ghost of Joey Ramone begrudgingly try to expunge the empathetic nature from the infected teenagers by questing for some kind of necromantic artifact.

The oopsy-Hollywood Facts theme getting played was my favorite part of this episode and maybe of this entire podcasts run. Maybe it was the weed, maybe it was all the Brooklyn Ninty-Nine I've been watching, but it destroyed me with comedy.

• Like 1

dane cook is ok.

anybody else catch when scott held back from saying "U2" just to bring them up a couple minutes later?

Hey folks, long time first time. Great ep, always love Neil and Reggie, Dane was fine, always a shame when first timers don't click, particularly in WYR, but he did well once it went more standard CBB. Solid C.

I love Rick Faber, but I'd love to see Neil's Monologues back at some point. The Halloween one was golden.

BUT what I'm really here to say is I was shocked and excited to hear Reggie say he's in Australia, as I was listening on the way home from work yesterday. Got home, hoped online, saw he was right here in Sydney, and there were three shows to go, with only that night's show not sold out. I picked up one of the last tickets, and three hours later I was in the Opera House about 6 metres away from the man himself, and he was absolutely brilliant. Just filing into the room and seeing that red keyboard and his pedals on the stage, lordy what a buzz. Did about 25 min more than promised, it was just a constant blanket of laughter, punctuated by pure awe. Only wish I could get to tonight and tomorrow's shows as well.

This is unprecedented, but if I had to rate it, <forgive me, Scotty Auckerby> B-.

• Like 3

Dane Cook is our generation's Gallagher (or is it Gallagher 2?). Even hating him seems dated and cliche. But I can't listen to him- not on a train or in a plane. Maybe with a fox, though.

• Like 1

Rick Faber is the funniest concept for a character I think I've ever heard and Campbell knocked it out of the fucking park. That was great.

Dane Cook's initial seg' wasn't what I normally expect, but I've actually really enjoyed the times recently when the bits before the character(s) show(s) up and introduces a world of insanity isn't necessarily wall-to-wall yes-anding bits. It was quite different in tone, but the Adomian/Glass thing this summer was a highlight.

It seemed like Scott was genuinely interested in hearing Cook answer those quests, and if there's one thing CBB shoul ddo, it's just follow the whims and interests of Au[c]k[l][a/erma]n[d].

• Like 2

...and if there's one thing CBB shoul ddo, it's just follow the whims and interests of Au[c]k[l][a/erma]n[d].

Someone help A New Duck, I think he's having a stroke!

• Like 3

I'll jump in here and just say this: I really had a fondness for Dane Cook when I was growing up. I saw his Vicious Circle special on CC when it came out and I would quote with friends at school... ... ...Dane Cook hasn't really been on my radar for over nearly 10 years now, but I certainly think he's a pretty funny guy even if I don't really connect with his stand up anymore.

Hi ZacMof, no one's judging anyone here about how much or how long they like Dane Cook and how long it's been since they were fans. But when I read your comment I got annoyed, because I saw Vicious Circle when it first came out in September of 2006 at a friend's house, I think on the Sunday before Labor Day.

Vicious Circle was released on HBO in September of 2006. It's Comedy Central debut wasn't until January 2008 (I just confirmed these on wikipedia). I don't know when you were in 6th grade, but either way, it hasn't been over 10 years since he was last on your radar, if we're going by Vicious Circle (which I could not tell if you meant you watched VC and then you were done with Dane, or that was how you got into Dane). At most, it was 8 years, and at the least, it was 6.

I don't mean to call you out, but being a former huge Dane Cook fan myself, that bad math bugged me.

- - -

2006 was the year where Dane blew up. The backlash reached its fever pitch not long after. Everybody on here had similar experiences with Dane's comedy as I did, and I bailed for similar reasons. I remember seeing the people that comprised the crowd of Vicious Circle and thinking 'Oof, who are these people?' A bit snobbish, I admit, but that reaction was only exacerbated in Rough Around the Edges, where the crowd was obnoxiously, distractingly out of control with the constant screaming for no reason, and his material felt to me like b-sides or tags cut from similar premises in Retaliation.

In August of 2003, I picked up Harmful If Swallowed about halfway through a cross-country road trip from CO to NJ to go to school. I think I had seen his half hour CC Presents, Ohio was driving me NUTS, I pulled off for lunch and went to some media store and went to the comedy section. I bought Dane's album and Attell's Skanks For the Memories. They got me through SO MANY states. I bought his albums as they released and watched his specials. I watched Tourgasm (oof). I hopped off the 'Dane Train' after Rough Around the Edges. Some time later I did see Isolated incident tho. It was weird.

Saw him live twi— HOLY SHIT. I just remembered I saw him at Madison Square Garden. it wasn't the sold out shows. It was in 2005, after Retaliation but before Tourgasm and Vicious Circle. I guess I haven't thought about that in forever. The other show was in Trenton, NJ.

Dane Cook wasn't how I got into comedy, mind you. I was well versed in Richard Pryor, Jerky Boys, Mr. Show, UCB, etc. I grew up in the late '90s with friends who also loved comedy. In 2003 thru 2006, I enjoyed Dane's energy. Dane was but one of many comedians I enjoyed listening to. I listened to Harmful If Swallowed while driving to NJ. When I got to NJ, the third season of Mr. Show FINALLY came out on DVD, and I watched it for two weeks straight— two, rainy rainy weeks— in my cousin's attic/guest room, waiting for the school year to start. Then of course, Feelin' Kinda Patton came out in 2004, and I was all over that too. That album made the ROUNDS at my school because of me making people listen to it and then those people making other classmates listen to it. A lot of Patton fans came out of the Kubert School in 2006 and 2007. A group of my classmates and I even went and saw him twice at Caroline's, and he talked to us after his shows because we were comic book art school students.

Anyway, I don't know what my point is. I like comedy, I guess. There was a time when Dane Cook scratched that comedy itch for a lot of people; the most people, really. I haven't sought out anything Dane Cook-related in OVER 10 YEARS (kidding, kidding), and when I saw he was on this b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s episode I did honestly say out loud to myself "WHUUUUT?"

My favorite Dane Cook-related story from my life was in 2005 when my former-girlfriend-whom-I-did-not-marry and I laid in her bed and listened to Retaliation together, absolutely dying with laughter at the track "Nothing Fights." ("I don't even know what jelly IS.") We enjoyed the joke so much that we would then get into fake nothing fights in public places. Nothing outrageous. We would just put our voices in that not-really-a-whisper voice that gets completely betrayed when people speak forcefully through it, and then bullshitted a disagreement we were having that was relevant to our surroundings but about absolutely nothing. Just enough to get, like, one or two people close by to MAYBE think, "Oh, that couple is having a disagreement, probably over nothing." Then we'd knock it off. Obnoxious? Yes. And we loved it. it was actually one of the first things we really got into doing with each other, because it was pretty early in the relationship, so having fake nothing fights in the 'romance' phase felt really fun and odd.

I guess I felt compelled to write all of this because reading through all of the comments, I realized we all watched it happen and took part in it to various extents. One thing we can all agree on is that Dane is a comedian that a lot of people laughed with and related to in the latter half of the oughts.

Regarding the episode, I enjoyed it, especially because right off the bat it was Scott, Dane AND Reggie. It definitely kicked in to high gear when Rick Faber showed up. I actually went back and re-listened to everything from Rick onward, because on my first listen I did unfortunately tune out by the end of the first segment, partially due to its content sounding familiar enough to Dane's WTF interview, but MOSTLY because I was running errands and multitasking, resulting in me missing a lot of solid laughs after that first break. I also loved that when Rick used "All the live long day" in a sentence, it got Dane to laugh off mic and repeat the phrase. One of my favorite things in podcasting is when comedians delight each other with seemingly innocuous wording.

• Like 3

Really thought the backlash would be more noticeable with this one.

Dane is not my cup of tea and neither is serious CBB interviews but what does that matter? Horses for courses. My course is Ben Schwartz being a predatory Willy Wonka but some people might like the inside baseball stuff.

Scott Aukerman has a knack for getting me to tolerate things I used to hate. First U2 and now Dane Cook.

Fun episode. Neil Campbell is a genius. I love how Scott seemed genuinely upset he wasn't invited to the Dodgers game. Oh and Cook was alright. He totally understood the rules of the game and waited until the floor was open for questions and did not vote early, unlike a lot of first time guests. Very interested to see his CBB ep to see what was so elaborate.

• Like 3

Rick Faber and Scott's nephew Todd should meet. I think Rick could be a positive influence on Todd and pass along some of that self awareness.

• Like 3

I thought this would be a good time to post this video of Ike Barinholtz doing his Dane Cook impression on Madtv.

I think Dane Cook's comedy is better when you listen to the audio only, because his jumping around really is kind of over the top (for me, at least).

Scott probably won't see this, but I was at that House of Blues show (assuming he was referring to the 2013 live Comedy Bang Bang) and it was a blast. So even if all the audience isn't great, there are people who are getting a lot out of it!