🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 18 — Songs of Innocence Physical Release Special

i'm glad scott mentioned the new yorker review... even though i don't like U2, i agree that sasha frere jones is an idiot and it was a super lazy article. it even bothered comparing the album, track by track, with the beyonce album. waht?

Ah, that review. It made no sense at all to compare the two albums, and it was done so sarcastically that it made it totally obnoxious. The sad thing is that it's the way music criticism is going now. There are so many stunt reviews now, where an album will get 0/10 and an extremely snarky review so the website that publishes it can get publicity for giving a high profile release such a negative review. And they are almost always written by people who hate the music of the artists they're reviewing and have already decided they'll hate it before they even listen.

And it's very easy to do that kind of thing for the latest U2 album, because people enjoy not liking U2 and getting annoyed by Bono, and because of how the album was initially released.

So to sum up, like Scott said of NME's review, 'What dicks!'.

• Like 3

Sweet! Before I even listen, I gotta say, "Thanks!" for this surprise special ep! As a staunch anti-Apple guy (eff that company), I needed to wait for the physical release of this one. Which I wasn't on top of, so I'm glad you guys plopped it on my radar!

Now, time to DL and listen... right after I go order the album from Amazon (using the Earwolf link to Amazon, of course) :D

I've had serious doubts about Engineer Cody Cody, but Lead Engineer Cody Brett Morris stands behind him 100%.

In Stard We Trust.

• Like 10

Re: the Scotts covering the 'backlash' over the release strategy... the internet whining/feels over this album was ridiculous.

A band you don't like released a free album? It took you 5 whole seconds to delete?

Talk about a first world problem!!

• Like 4

someone photoshop Cody as the clown from American Horror Story since this is what he thought was more important than our beloved Scotts:

640.jpg

Done.

JK, we love you Codes!

The UTU2TM fans have infected the iTunes review section of the album! Here's the 4th most popular review on the page, and there's a lot more related ones.

wrde15.jpg

• Like 12

MY WIIIIIFE went to the Neutral Milk Hotel concert at the Hollywood Bowl and she had a much different experience than Scott. I can only comment on what she told me since I wasn't there.

For one, Scott missed Daniel Johnston (who went on before The Breeders) who came on shaking and on a walker. He explained that he just got out of the hospital. Apparently, his entire performance seemed like he could drop dead at any second. Awkward and kind of a bummer.

My wife has been a fan of NMH for a while, and she was disappointed with them. This was their last show in LA (according to their website) so it is unlikely she will get to see them perform again.

They didn't allow themselves to be broadcasted on the screens, meaning the people who had less than stellar seats couldn't really see them, which I think is a dickish way to treat your fans. Also, there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd. And lastly, they didn't play their most well known hit (no idea what that is as I am not a fan myself) and instead ended on a slow, deep cut song.

Oh yeah, great episode of YTU2TM!

They didn't allow themselves to be broadcasted on the screens, meaning the people who had less than stellar seats couldn't really see them, which I think is a dickish way to treat your fans.

Rule #1: Never go to a concert unless you're sitting front-row center.

• Like 13

I will never not be delighted by Ramhand bashing, especially from Howie Michael Motorcycle.

But I sincerely hope he doesn't take it personally or get offended by it. I feel bad even saying that I enjoy it but.... it always seems so funny when someone goes off on one. We love you Engineer Cody Cody!

I was so pleased to see this ep pop up. Wasn't expecting it. I knew Scott said on CBB on Monday about B-B-B-B-B-BONUS CBB, so was too focused on that! Cunning misdirect!!

I saw it come up on facebook just after its release (UK person!) and turned to a co-worker and announced there was a new UTU2TM, and after starting an explanation... knew I was on the bad side of a losing battle. As I'm sure many here have experienced; It's hard to convey to someone how a podcast ostensibly about U2 has become one of the funniest things I listen to and look forward to so much. :P

• Like 2

When I saw this ep downloading in my iTunes, I had a physical release, and several more during the playback.

Oh, it was funny, too.

• Like 6

MY WIIIIIFE went to the Neutral Milk Hotel concert at the Hollywood Bowl and she had a much different experience than Scott. I can only comment on what she told me since I wasn't there.

For one, Scott missed Daniel Johnston (who went on before The Breeders) who came on shaking and on a walker. He explained that he just got out of the hospital. Apparently, his entire performance seemed like he could drop dead at any second. Awkward and kind of a bummer.

My wife has been a fan of NMH for a while, and she was disappointed with them. This was their last show in LA (according to their website) so it is unlikely she will get to see them perform again.

They didn't allow themselves to be broadcasted on the screens, meaning the people who had less than stellar seats couldn't really see them, which I think is a dickish way to treat your fans. Also, there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd. And lastly, they didn't play their most well known hit (no idea what that is as I am not a fan myself) and instead ended on a slow, deep cut song.

Oh yeah, great episode of YTU2TM!

I saw them earlier this year and they were incredible. They only interacted with the crowd a little bit, but for what it's worth, the lead singer (Jeff Mangum) has been really reclusive and the fact that they're even touring would be considered extremely unlikely not long ago. Also, I don't think it's really accurate to characterize any of their songs as "well known", "hits", or "deep cuts"; I guess some songs are more popular among their fans, but they're a cult band that 99% of people have never heard of and have never had anything resembling a hit.

• Like 2

I saw the reunited NMH on the first wave of their tour back in 2012. The intro song was exactly as Scott described it on the show and, based on youpoditdude's description, they played the same final song ("Engine") as well. It was an incredible, intimate show with plenty of crowd interaction. The Moore theater in Seattle has 1800 seats, however, whereas the Hollywood Bowl has more than 17000, so I get where youpoditdude's wife is coming from.

Yeah, I saw them in a theater and can't really picture them playing a big venue. It kind of fits with what they were talking about on CBB today, where a small venue probably means everyone is really hyped up for it and knows all the songs.

"Engineer American Horror Cody Cody."

I totally thought someone would have mashed these words up together to create this title.

• Like 1

Boy, toward the end of the first segment Scott and Scott seemed genuinely pissed at each other. Scott pushing Scott on the SNL stuff was kind of uncomfortable. AND YET! Still so many great bits that could EASILY have made it into an ep of Great Bits

• Like 1