🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 18 — Songs of Innocence Physical Release Special

Did anyone else think that the way the acoustic sessions tracks were produced made it sound like the members of U2 (Bonobos, Theedge, Adam Clay2000pounds and Larry Mullen Sr's son) were actually in the same room as Scott and Scott?

The Scotts really nailed my sentiments on that Pitchfork review; a review of the release strategy and the hipster perception of the band rather than the songs themselves. I love Pitchfork but that Larry Fitzwhatever guy they have reviewing major albums is like a parody of Pitchfork.

still wrestling with this whole 'Scott likes Karmin' thing

I'm wrestling with the fact that Scott has apparently never heard of Mick Foley.

I met Foley after one of his shows a few months ago and he was super nice and a genuinely great guy. Good show, too.

• Like 3

I'm wrestling with the fact that Scott has apparently never heard of Mick Foley.

I met Foley after one of his shows a few months ago and he was super nice and a genuinely great guy. Good show, too.

I'm sure Foley is nice, but I think it's the right move from Scott to have never heard of a guy with such an offensive first name. Next thing you know he'll have heard of guys like Polack Muldoon and Dago Jones.

• Like 2

I'm sure Foley is nice, but I think it's the right move from Scott to have never heard of a guy with such an offensive first name.

I couldn't disagree more.

• Like 2

Sitting next to Scott Aukerman on an airplane as he tried to read a U2 biography; with me being an avid listener AND him knowing I am an avid listening AND me knowing that Scott wanted to read the book on the plane without being interrupted; thereby next to each other for several hours but never say anything, knowing we are both constantly thinking about U2..... Holy shit, it would be like Social Awkwardness Hell!

Five minutes in and already there's some major Engineer Cody Cody bashing going on. Amazing.

Off topic: Just wanted to say, cool avatar there Johnny. At first I didn't even notice 'cause I'm so used to seeing Manny's face on other forums I'm usually on but then I was like, wait a minute. that does not belong here...

I just realized there wasn't a single sub-podcast in this ep....

WHERE DID OLIVER SUBPODCASTS GO!?!

They recorded this like 2 hours before they released it.

"ughhhh the body farts when it diiies"

This line was one of the stupidest, silliest, most immature throwaway jokes on any of the Earwolf podcasts and was completely ignored immediately afterwards and I laughed so despicably hard at it.

• Like 3

I turned on my radio yesterday, and I couldn't find any stations playing Songs of Innocence, but I did hear some snarky U2 bashing. During a prerecorded station ID bump, the band was mocked with the message, "Thanks U2, but we already know how to download your album for free." Next, listeners were treated to the one billionth rotation of Rush's "Tom Sawyer."

• Like 3

The lack of sub-podcasts did jump out at me, but I'm kinda glad they took a break from that for (at least) one ep. The subpodcast running jokes are sublime, but in some of the latter episodes I began to wonder if they were doing them more for us than themselves, like they might have felt obligated to do them because they were so popular. And I really enjoy this podcast because it feels like banter between friends that just happens to be super hilarious, and the way they get lost in different stories and realize the shows running so long, etc.. but they aren't doing it for us, per se. Does that make sense? Just my thought on that.

• Like 1

I'm glad Scot and Scot decided to release this now. They nailed it on the head about the media reporting on the album.

The Scots' review convinced me to listen to it and I was very pleasantly surprised as I know a huge audience is as well. But that story is not as interesting as the "backlash" angle, which has been ridiculous. And now today I see "reported" is that the Black Keys drummer is "slamming" U2's release strategy that it's "devaluing" their music.

Yes, they have devalued their music just as a HUGE audience gets to listen to them for the 1st time (or the 1st time in a long time) and the sales of ALL their backlog jumps up and a new generation is primed to WANT to listen to their follow up. Riiiight...

• Like 1

I'm glad Scot and Scot decided to release this now. They nailed it on the head about the media reporting on the album.

The Scots' review convinced me to listen to it and I was very pleasantly surprised as I know a huge audience is as well. But that story is not as interesting as the "backlash" angle, which has been ridiculous. And now today I see "reported" is that the Black Keys drummer is "slamming" U2's release strategy that it's "devaluing" their music.

Yes, they have devalued their music just as a HUGE audience gets to listen to them for the 1st time (or the 1st time in a long time) and the sales of ALL their backlog jumps up and a new generation is primed to WANT to listen to their follow up. Riiiight...

My guess is that ripping off Stairway to Heaven is probably a bigger devaluation than giving away an album for free.

Also, the drummer? In a duo where the singer basically does the work of four people, the guy who barely does one always seems to be the one shooting his mouth off about other musicians.

I will say that UTU2TM is the only place where I heard anything positive about this album.

In fact, I heard the previous episode so much, the one of the original release, that yesterday I was humming Raised by Wolves. I may have listened to it on YouTube a few times after that.

Perhaps the greatest trick the devil played was making me like U2, or at least see past the lame stream media blitz of this album enough to recognize all the the craft that's gone into Songs of Incontinence, vicariously through loving this podcast.

I do think there is something to be said about how Scott and uh.... Scott is it? How they did note the release strategy, put in their two cents and an episode of good bits, and then objectively looked at the album. Most sites can hardly be bothered to do this, though they have paid reviewers- and yet in this free flowing conversational comedy podcast, where the hosts are there to mostly fuck around and do some blue turtlin', has the most in-depth look at the album I seen this whole month.

Another weird caveat to this whole thing is that this podcast is wildly popular, and has been written about in some sites. While that's great, the sites are still slamming the release strategy of the band while at the same time recommending something that is complaining about all the dumb over exaggerations about it. Feels like these sites come for the little jokes but get none of the D'jucation.

I don't care for the band, but I did think it was a totally bold move to put the album out there for free. Whoever wants it can have it, it's nothing that has ever happened before or will happen again and it'll be a big communal moment. I deleted the album ultimately but it's not like it cost me any real time to do it. It didn't bother me to do it, as much as when you have to wait for an update for it to load and click continue. This whole bashing of the band have become overblown and I believe this podcast goes a long way in calming that wave of negative press by showing some, albeit hilarious, perspective. Though a few college girls thrown in this wouldn't hurt.

A small aside,

THE FUCK IS UP WITH ENGINEER CODY CODY? Luv yew Ramhand.

• Like 3

I had to admit I was getting twitchy when Scott & Scott were talking about "Crystal Ballroom" and did not come up with any mention of Roxy Music's "Love Is The Drug"...

I used to think Scott liking Coldplay was bad, but f that. Karmin really takes the cake. I would def listen to Coldplay over Karmin any old day.

Also, would listen to Scott and Scott's bizarre drums and "ba-ba-ba" rendition of "Hey Jude" infinitely.

But that story is not as interesting as the "backlash" angle, which has been ridiculous. And now today I see "reported" is that the Black Keys drummer is "slamming" U2's release strategy that it's "devaluing" their music.

Patrick Carney seems like a huge dick. I admit I do not listen to the Black Keys (in part because I find PC insufferable), but just about every time I see a story about them, it's him running his mouth about one musician/band or another. I'm not a fan of U2 either, but Carney's constant shit-talking is too much. There's enough negativity in the world/my liiiiiiiiife.

• Like 3

oh my god, the embedded artwork in the mp3...

thank you user A New Duck

pure brilliance

This is probably my life's most satisfying moment.

Loved the ep. A little lower energy than usual, but that's alright! Any Scott-on-Scott action I can get, I'll take.

• Like 2

Also, would listen to Scott and Scott's bizarre drums and "ba-ba-ba" rendition of "Hey Jude" infinitely.

Yes. And, I only just realized that the "ba-ba-ba" that Scott is doing is from "Imagine", not "Hey Jude" (inasmuch as it's "from" anything). I don't think I could love this podcast more.

• Like 1

I wanted to scream at Scott sooo bad after he called Radiohead "u2 imitators" *shudders*. But how could I stay mad at Adam Scott Aukerman?

Yes. And, I only just realized that the "ba-ba-ba" that Scott is doing is from "Imagine", not "Hey Jude" (inasmuch as it's "from" anything). I don't think I could love this podcast more.

Very good call.

I was hoping that it was just some weird Adam-ism like his "meowwwww" at the end of their rendition of "On Broadway."