🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Darbler Cheesegarbler

Earwolf/VPN?

I'm deeply and softly sorry if this has already been asked a dozen times and I'm just late and lazy, but are there any plans to do more live video podcasts? I loved Comedy Dang Dick, Improv 4 Humans and Ronna & Beverly in video form, it was so great to actually see it and it was genuinely amazing when I was able to catch them live, something I really started to look forward to. I just joined the forums recently, so now I finally have a way to ask this question. I hope the answer is yes, yes, a thousand times yes, or something to that effect.

I don't think I'll ever forget Cakeboss's "Would You Rather?" stare, or the many exasperated faces of Beverly, or Garry and Gilly's lovechild. I understand if it's dead forever, only immortalized in our dreams and also in video form on YouTube... I'm just looking for answers.

For those of us who don't have those answers: what are some of your favorite Earwolf moments caught on camera?

9dB9sq6.jpg

• Like 1

This is asked all the time. It bums me out, but don't get your hopes up. We have so many good new things happening though. I'd love to have video again.

I should just wear a gopro helmet cam.

• Like 16

Thanks for the response Brett! I know you're joking about the GoPro, but that's an amazing idea... Just strap it to your forehead and hope that nobody notices.

I loved the videos, but I'm more than happy with what I'm getting now. It's funny to get a response from you, because seeing you interact with everyone was a great part of the videos! I'll just continue to use my ear holes and consider any future chance to use my eyeballs a big b-b-bonus.

• Like 2

I honestly thought VPN was going to kill TV for good, and I was so excited about that. Such a well put together channel, so entertaining, and with nearly all of my favorite comedians. I know it's hard to monetize on YouTube, but I had such hopes! Brett, your work is legendary in itself.

• Like 3

How about a Pay-What-You-Want model, where we can buy high quality downloads right from the Earwolf store? It seems to be a popular and successful way to monetize certain things; the first ones that come to mind are Louis CK's album from a few years ago, Radiohead's album from just before that, and the website Humble Bundle which allows buyers to pay what they want for video game bundles and give a portion of their payment to charity and/or "keeping the lights on." Maybe it's just me, but for me I'd definitely buy every episode of Comedy Bean Bag, and most episodes of my other favorite podcasts. With the PWYW formula, it creates many smaller transactions where we're able to donate a bit directly to Earwolf, which is a great incentive to pay more than the minimum each time. I think if listeners know there's a video version of what they're listening to, especially for some of their favorite episodes, they'll feel like they need to see it too. Many people will want to watch them, and when they do they'll want to pay more than the minimum because this way they get to directly contribute to Earwolf and/or charities of Earwolf's choice. At least that's what one would hope!

I'm pretty positive you guys would have already thought about this and discussed it, I just want to put it out there that I think it would be a really effective, potentially hugely successful way to monetize the videos. I think having small preview videos along with the audio podcasts will get pretty much every fan into it, and once they're into it I think they'll be committed. I hope there's a way to make it worth it, because the videos that are already out there are amazing. Thanks for the responses!

Also, I know some friends of Earwolf have actually had their comedy featured in a Humble Bundle in the past, and they've plugged it on some episodes of Comedy Bing Bong! So there's already a connection to that world, and Earwolf could have their videos featured in bundles like that too.

• Like 1

This is asked all the time. It bums me out, but don't get your hopes up. We have so many good new things happening though. I'd love to have video again.

I should just wear a gopro helmet cam.

Unironically, consider a 3D 360 camera and place it in a corner for virtual reality footage as they become available next year. I would defo pay for a 'premium' video version where I actually feel like a guest in the studio.

Unironically, consider a 3D 360 camera and place it in a corner for virtual reality footage as they become available next year. I would defo pay for a 'premium' video version where I actually feel like a guest in the studio.

The best use of the Oculus Rift yet. WARNING: EYE CONTACT WITH PAUL F. TOMPKINS MAY CAUSE VERTIGO.

cbz0iavomzpzzfaipngz.gif

That would be awesome. I feel like low maintenance solutions like this would be the best scenarios. Don't take anything here as official word though, please.

• Like 4

That would be awesome. I feel like low maintenance solutions like this would be the best scenarios. Don't take anything here as official word though, please.

The people at http://elevr.com/ have done some great research into 360 VR capture and have some information on solutions that range in all sorts of prices. They also have recorded a talkshow/podcast of their own where you can sit as a 'guest' if you have a Oculus Rift, so it's a neat way to test it out if you have access to one.

As far as maintenance it would seem, once it is set-up, all it would require is turning it on, stitching the video after the show is over (a drag and drop process), and add an appropriate fade to black whenever the host or guests want a pause or to read an ad.

I'm personally a huge fan of VR, as a personal developer with my own Oculus Rift prototype, so understandably it can sound like a gimmick at the moment. But as it's rumored to be launched commercially next year, being on the ground floor with it can be pretty beneficial as a ~trend-setter~

Of course I'm only taking this as discussion, not official word. As an avid listener of Hollywood Handbook I know engineers don't wield any real power, that would be silly.

The people at http://elevr.com/ have done some great research into 360 VR capture and have some information on solutions that range in all sorts of prices. They also have recorded a talkshow/podcast of their own where you can sit as a 'guest' if you have a Oculus Rift, so it's a neat way to test it out if you have access to one.

As far as maintenance it would seem, once it is set-up, all it would require is turning it on, stitching the video after the show is over (a drag and drop process), and add an appropriate fade to black whenever the host or guests want a pause or to read an ad.

Right. Then there's publishing, file management, etc. You gotta realize even simple things like that can become a bottleneck process and needs dedicated staff when you're moving as fast and with as much volume as we are.

• Like 2

Aw come on, you're in LA, there should be a ton of them over there. I had to wait months and months for my unit that I ordered five minutes after they were open for pre-purchase ;_;

Also freight from Sweden is hella expensive yo, and I already have to pay Lauren Lapkus appearance fee after I got the pro-version of the latest Hollywood Handbook.

If you have an opportunity do check it out though, should be a bunch of meetups in LA for VR. It's really quite cool and makes you all giddy about technology and future stuff like you're a kid again.

That's the issue!

Figured as much, it's a real shame that quality content isn't more profitable on that platform. I'm wondering if a kickstarter campaign would be possible to secure another season or two of VPN. I think the vast majority of Earwolf fans would love to have more of the podcasts we love with video if we were given a chance to back it. I would definitely support it.

VPN and Comedy Bang Bang introduced me to the world of Earwolf, and I know there are millions of others who have yet to discover this lovely podcast utopia and know true fulfillment.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if a kickstarter campaign would be possible to secure another season or two of VPN. I think the vast majority of Earwolf fans would love to have more of the podcasts we love with video if we were given a chance to back it.

I like this idea. I don't want to make it a popularity contest but could we work it so that each show has a dollar amount that needs to be reached in order to get a video ep?

Example:

UTU2TM?- Beacuoup dolares

CBB- 9 hundo

• Like 4

I recently bought a developer's kit for the Oculus Rift (still in transit), and I honestly can't wait to use it for situations just like the one we described. Having a VR camera system set up in the studio at Earwolf could be a seriously lucrative (and easy to implement) idea. I can already imagine how amazing it would be to be able to look around the room and feel like I'm right there for the recordings of all of my favorite podcasts, especially because I have a strong feeling that Scott and many of the other hosts and guests would feel the need to acknowledge and even interact with the camera/me.

Also my sincere thanks to Zsinjeh for posting about elevr.com... I was on the fence about buying an Oculus Rift, and so close to being pushed to buy one, but your link is what finally made my decision. That and the fact that I know a bunch of studios are working on VR content, so at this point it's really worth it.

And I agree with Bever... I'd be right there with you, on the highest tier I could afford, if videos from Earwolf became a Kickstarter.

• Like 1

Also my sincere thanks to Zsinjeh for posting about elevr.com... I was on the fence about buying an Oculus Rift, and so close to being pushed to buy one, but your link is what finally made my decision. That and the fact that I know a bunch of studios are working on VR content, so at this point it's really worth it.

You're welcome! I'm still super psyched for the potential of 360 cameras for podcast style shows, and since it was last discussed here there has been some cool developments. Jaunt VR has a pretty nifty 3D 360 camera that they placed next to Paul McCartney on a live show and it's recently been seen ringside at a boxing match, shows the great potential for being a guest 'there'.

However Brett makes a good point with file size and management. A 3d video in fairly high resolution can really run away in size and depending on how many shows get recorded it could be several recordings a week all at several hundred megs.

The idea for funding, either Kickstarter or Donation, for something that solves that would be pretty neat though.

Come on Brett "lead" engineer, make it work!

http://www.roadtovr.com/news-bits-jaunt-vr-360-3d-camera-spotted-ringside-boxing-match/

http://gizmodo.com/meet-the-crazy-camera-that-could-make-movies-for-the-oc-1557318674

Bumping this topic with the news that Youtube is looking to be a host for 360 videos (suitable for VR and also the likely 360 player they might introduce for regular monitors). This could potentially remove the need for any file hosting on the side of Earwolf. Though it would still require the manual part of managing the 3D 360 camera, though the article mentions a 360 camera that will natively support it (unfortunately does not seem to be *3D* 360)

http://www.roadtovr....ideo-streaming/

http://www.giroptic.com/

Merely passing along the news for inspiration

• Like 2

I too miss the video format. What about a Patreon subscription for video? I would glad pay a monthly fee for video episodes.

Here's a tech podcaster who is making $14k/month from 4.8k subscribers, with a goal of making video episodes once they reach $20k/month: https://www.patreon.com/acedtect?

• Like 1