🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Godsend (2004)

Greg Kinnear, Rebecca Romijn and Robert De Niro in a crazy thriller regarding the rebirth of Cameron Bright through a cloning experiment, and things go pretty bizarre for the young boy.

Bad thriller, has a 4% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it De Niro and Kinnear's lowest-rated film ever!

This one should get a little more attention. It has De Niro and 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a start. Looking under the hood, you find lots of goodies. Just a sample from Wikipedia.

Paul and Jessie Duncan (Greg Kinnear and Rebecca Romijn) are a happily married couple who have an eight-year-old son named Adam (Cameron Bright). The day after his eighth birthday, when fetching a basketball he was given into the street, Adam is killed in a collision. While leaving a church, Jessie and Paul are confronted by Dr. Richard Wells (Robert De Niro), an old professor of Jessie's. He offers to clone Adam, an illegal procedure which would require a change of location and identity, to which the Duncans reluctantly agree. Everything appears to be fine with the new Adam until he reaches his eighth birthday. That night, he experiences a violent nightmare. Richard explains to Paul that it is typical for boys his age to have night terrors, and that it is not serious. He explains that because Adam II has reached the age at which the original Adam died, his life cannot be predicted anymore. From that moment on, Adam II continues to have night terrors until they become visions and he starts having them when he's wide awake, losing control of his actions.

This and Orphan would be a solid combo.

Whoa. I haven't seen/heard of Orphan. It sounds bonkers. Straight up bonkers. Good call.

Whoa. I haven't seen/heard of Orphan. It sounds bonkers. Straight up bonkers. Good call.

It has an insane premise/twist but is otherwise well executed, for the kind of film it is.

• Like 1

Yea Orphan is an infinitely better movie than this one, whilst at the same time being an equal level of straight up crazy.

From Roger Ebert's review of "Godsend":

[D]irector Hamm shot at least seven alternate endings to the movie, including those in which two different characters are killed two different ways, and little Adam kills everybody. Nothing like covering your bases.

I came here to recommend this movie! It is absolutely insane and makes no sense. I think the premise is actually pretty intriguing, but instead of just examining the ramifications of the boy finding out he's a clone, they add in some weird supernatural stuff. This movie is perfect. 

godsend_ver2.jpg

• Like 1

This actually had a decent premise but was just fumbled at the one yard line. I didn't have a problem with how fast and loose they were with the science or the fact a big part of the plan working is the parents straight up leaving their old lives to have this clone child, but no explanation of how they accomplish that, but then with the focus shifting to De Niro's crazy obsessive scientist character and what his real goals were it just went off the rails. I feel that the makers of Replicas saw this film and said to themselves afterwards, "we could make a better movie out of that."

• Like 1

I didn't see Replicas but I want to. I remember the most confusing part of this movie being a zombified version of the boy that I guess is in his mind? I haven't seen it in a while. I'm surprised a better movie about a family having their same kid over again through cloning hasn't happened yet. I really like that premise for a film.

3 hours ago, MacGruber said:

I didn't see Replicas but I want to. I remember the most confusing part of this movie being a zombified version of the boy that I guess is in his mind? I haven't seen it in a while. I'm surprised a better movie about a family having their same kid over again through cloning hasn't happened yet. I really like that premise for a film.

Replicas is fairly boring, I had a chance to watch it last week during my lunch break as it was on the prison's movie channel. It is interesting in that you're seeing a person do whatever they can to regain the family taken from them by pure chance, but then it mostly focuses on the corporate espionage angle of it all rather than his family finding out they are clones, and that he had to make a real Sophie's Choice about who he saves. It is kind of the better version of this film, albeit more of a sci-fi film rather than the suspense/horror this was going for.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

Replicant on the other hand is a delightful movie. 

What was great about that movie was that JCVD couldn't pronounce replicant to save his life so every time it came out as replicunt, plus that wig was amazing.

• Haha 1

Its some of my favorite wig work outside of Josh Lucas in Stolen whose transformation was absolutely breathtaking to behold. Best thing about Replicant to me though, is that I can almost guarantee this was pitched as a spiritual successor to Double Impact, only instead of them teaming up one of them is good and the other one is evil.