🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 56 — Iliza Shlesinger, Our Close Friend

The guys begin with another installment of The Right Stuff, where they explain the four types of conflict in detail. Then ILIZA SHLESINGER appears to talk funny business cards, explore a career in ventriloquy, and answer Popcorn Gallery questions about being a Jewish comedian and her ten catchphrases.

Oy! Is it Chanukkah already!? Man! Can't tell you guys how honored I am to be the first sticky question out of the Cracker Jack Gallery Bag and a brand new member of the Pro Version Payment Plan... I was worried my credit wasn't Kosher there for a minute, so l'chaim indeed! It's a shame Shlessy and I had to get off the wrong foot like that, though. I sure felt like a schmuck until she mumbled for me to go and frig my little butt off! The chutzpah on this yente, am I right? What's the deal!

Honestly, purported anti-Semitism aside--and I really don't think I'm in a place to speak one way or the other on that so publicly, her reaction to my question makes me worried she's not tapping into her full potential in the industry. She should really be on Jerry's radar, you guys! And he should definitely be getting some of that sweet, sweet doseph of hers. You know he's got the patent on those J.C.'s.

P.S.: Hey, tissue box... I promise I'll never forget what you're made of. Promise.

• Like 4

For the first like 20 minutes I was thinking this was like a sincere version of the Adam Pally epi. Like, H+S could have dressed up in business suits and approached people on the street in the 1950s and gotten more recognition and playing along. But they eventually won her round and you know what: I liked the antagonistic energy in the first half, and when Lliza understood it was a comedy podcast I could really see why she was voted the best comic standing up.

I forget what the first segment was. Oh it was the stories? That was good too.

• Like 6

I wasnt the biggest fan of her as a guest but ultimately that probably made the show funnier, since S&H had to work a little bit harder to explain the show segments/keep the show moving/etc

Nice work brgrho

• Like 3

I loffed harder at this one than I have in a while. I think she was a good foil for the boys precisely because she wasn't playing along with a lot of stuff. The conflict (wink wink) made the show even better! Now isn't that a good lesson

• Like 6

Hearing a guest feel out the show's very specific vibe in real time was a lot of fun :)

• Like 6

Occasionally things were on the verge of becoming a spicy meatball this week!!!!!!!!! Interesting vibes and I liked it.

• Like 1

Good ep. I love Hayes's reaction to the tissue box. I love the explanation of the pro version, because frankly I did not know what I was getting myself into when I bought it. It's quite a commitment. I love Hayes's secret cards against humanity ad. I loved hearing Hayes's OCD with saying the opening line of the show...and then saying "Heeey" when he gets it right, like some kind of Fonzie.

What? Do I have a favorite? No...no, I don't think I have a favorite. Oh no, Sean is great...no really, he is. Ok...well then, I like how Sean hit on Hayes when Sean was playing teacher. "And can I say if I had students who looked like you, they'd be getting a little bit of extra credit. And that's just a compliment on your appearance."

• Like 7

Boy oh boy were our hosts ever good in this ep. I would argue that they are the true fucking corkers and won't that be a real treat next week?

Still found time to listen while here in Last Vegas. Haven't run into any randy old men doing mischief yet but there's still time.

• Like 4

I love Hayes's secret cards against humanity ad.

Hey hey hey ixnay on the ards against humanity adcay. We know Sean's little cousin reads the forums!

• Like 10

I also giggled heartily when Iliza told the fellas that they talk like Dutch people who are just now figuring things out.

• Like 8

I hear that Jewish people are lizards... They also control the media. That Australian Jewish guy runs the media. I think his name is Bill O'Reilly. Yeah, that's the one.

Truth Bomb!

• Like 2

Iliza must have a NDA for her deal with Steinfeld. I saw right through her mock outrage at the Burger Ho's question.

• Like 4

Iliza must have a NDA for her deal with Steinfeld. I saw right through her mock outrage at the Burger Ho's question.

An NDA signed with blood, probably.

• Like 1

I really liked this ep! It started out perfectly, with Hayes whispering in the forest. Especially when he mistook a shiny bird for Sean's car! I didn't much care for Iliza at first cause she was so mean to the guys but I really warmed up to her. And congrats BURGER HOE! If you can't find a use for Hayes's glass chopsticks, I will gladly take them off your hands!!!

I've listened to the part where Hayes drops the Popcorn Gallery theme song and starts screaming about quiz questions about a dozen times. Can't stop loffing.

Would love to know how much of a description of the show they gave Iliza beforehand, if any. I don't think she was particularly antagonistic, but it's kinda hard to tell whether she was putting on a little bit or genuinely bewildered by the boys. Either way, it's a great yin-yang companion to the Pete Holmes episode.

• Like 3

Wait a minute...can we discuss Cody spilling his hi-C on the machine and making this episode jarring for a minute? What kind of hi-C was it? By any chance was it a....Ecto Cooler?! Cody is some kind of electronics ghost, entering the wires, breaking recordings devices, and disappearing without notice. Is this a photo of Cody? I think it might be.

ecto-cooler-slimer-hi-c.jpg

• Like 8

Wait a minute...can we discuss Cody spilling his hi-C on the machine and making this episode jarring for a minute? What kind of hi-C was it? By any chance was it a....Ecto Cooler?! Cody is some kind of electronics ghost, entering the wires, breaking recordings devices, and disappearing without notice. Is this a photo of Cody? I think it might be.

ecto-cooler-slimer-hi-c.jpg

too scary.

• Like 3

Cody is some kind of electronics ghost, entering the wires, breaking recordings devices, and disappearing without notice.

sVtOpKF.png

• Like 15