🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 222.5 — Sklarbro County 127

Cracked Editor in Chief and fellow podcaster Jack O’Brien makes his way to the County! Jack talks to the guys about how his love of podcasts lead to him starting the Cracked podcast here on Earwolf, his theory about Florida, and why the Real Housewives has more value than playing Candy Crush. Daniel Van Kirk brings us crazy stories today which include a Florida teenager who was caught masturbating with a stuffed animal in a Walmart, a Chili’s cook in Florida was fired after posting pictures of himself shirtless in the kitchen, and a funeral home in Michigan that lets you pay your final respects via a drive thru. Later, we hear from our good buddy Steven Seagal who happens to be at the happiest place on Earth.

Make sure to stream The Sklar Brothers’ one hour special “What Are We Talking About” right this very minute on Netflix, don’t forget to buy the Sklars’ album available on iTunes today, and check out when the Sklars are coming to your city at www.supersklars.com!

I'm glad Dan eventually corrected himself on the Ron Santo comment, because that was unacceptable. A County t-shirt with "I have to think before what I do" and a stuffed horse would be amazing.

Great ep, but one thing. I know the ad is running all over the place, but are we really okay with a rapist, Tyson, having a cartoon and pretending like everything is okay with that?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's weird. The first time I became aware of this show was someone posting a photo of a toy from it on Twitter and pointing out that it's weird to make a toy of a convicted rapist. I guess the flip side is that he paid his debt to society and it's been a long time since then, in which he's mostly stayed out of trouble. It's clearly not meant for kids, so I don't know that it being a cartoon should necessarily make it worse, but it does feel worse.

It may not be okay to you or I, but people go through all manner of logical contortions to avoid changing their consumption patterns. As with Woody Allen last year and Bill Cosby this year, discussions about "separating the art from the artist" are evergreen. And also dumb.

That comment in the beginning about Vicodin and Oxycontin being like cocaine and 'coke' was really irritating. There is a huge difference between Vicodin and Oxycontin, similar to the difference between light beer and 200 proof everclear. Make sure you are correct before adding snark.

Yeah, it's weird. The first time I became aware of this show was someone posting a photo of a toy from it on Twitter and pointing out that it's weird to make a toy of a convicted rapist. I guess the flip side is that he paid his debt to society and it's been a long time since then, in which he's mostly stayed out of trouble. It's clearly not meant for kids, so I don't know that it being a cartoon should necessarily make it worse, but it does feel worse.

Totally get what you're saying. Not a cartoon meant for kids yet it does feel worse because the marketing talks about Scooby Doo (and I heard another making a comparrison to Mr. T) and that just feels terrible.

I get the debt to society being paid, but there is paying your legal debt and then people expecting society to continue to exhault you and maintain your fame. We're not asking for more prison for him or legal fees, but we're also not willing to support him or pretend that his celebrity should now overshadow his mistakes.

• Like 2

All good points. I also think it's problematic that his apparent appeal is largely ironic due to his (struggling to come up with a better word) weirdness; like, he's not entirely a cool ex-athlete who's genuinely funny or charismatic. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that he has (or has had) mental health issues which are probably, to one extent or another, the root of his past issues and his current popularity.

• Like 2

The millennials discussion was frustrating, the job they describe as a job they didn't want to take after college is the kind of thing i'd love to have and can't find. I haven't listened to the episode of the Cracked podcast they were talking about but it didn't seem like the Sklars or the guest had any context for what its actually like to be graduating from college in the last 5 years (at least).

Sign in to follow this