🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 179 — God

Tig, David, and Kyle kick off the show with a discussion about what they are grateful for, what kind of health they're in, and the science behind how long a human can go without urinating. Later, Pete Holmes drops by for a deliberation on religion, it's powers, it's conundrums, and it relations to the value of the Tooth Fairy. Lastly, Pete Holmes closes out the show with a brief commentary on "what's nuts" about a Scientist who interviews hundreds of Indian children and their experiences with "past lives."

• Like 1

I love Pete Holmes. In my early 20s, I got so philosophical that my upbringing said "Hey, be a preacher" but I know now that THAT was a result of eating a bunch of mushrooms and thinking that I understood everything. And I love Pete Holmes because he understands God in the same way I do. The concept of God, how can we possibly understand that? An all-knowing, all-powerful being that just looks down on us and knows that we're imperfect but just looks down on us. The big Jesus teaching is "be in this world, but not OF this world" and its just impossible. We're in this world. This is all we know, so how can we not be OF this world?

• Like 3

Wow, I have a new appreciation for Pete Holmes. I've always enjoyed him, but I never knew he had so many interesting insights.

• Like 1

i feel like if there was ever a time someone could say a cuss on this christian podcast it is probably this episode when describing "the butt-fuck that is exodus"

• Like 6

"Oh EVERYTIME we do an accent we get letters."

"It's as if just doing an accent is racist."

C'mon...

You yourselves said it, "we don't get them imitating an irish"

Maybe because Irish people don't have the same story as, let's say, Native Americans?

You do see the difference, right?

• Like 3

man, i genuinely just do not enjoy listening to pete holmes speak or contribute in any way. this didn't even seem like a PBO episode to me. his ramblings limited the group dynamic and he couldn't NOT jump in at ANY point. buh.

• Like 6

Jesus Christ. Pete Holmes ruins anything his absurd fake laugh touches. What the hell.

The ONLY guest I've ever heard before being introduced on this show in 179 episodes. RUDE!!!

And of course it's not him chiming in with something interesting to say...It's 5 seconds in, you hear his uproarious fake ridiculous uncalled for laughter. It almost feels like he's mocking people when he laughs like that. Comes off as disresepectful and down right weird. Sorry for the negative comment, but God damn. Please, never again

• Like 2

Kyle's one man band routine and the reactions it gets destroys me every time. My face and ribs have ached two weeks in a row now. I can't believe there's no band. That's just his body!

• Like 3

So great. The main discussion was really good, but then the capper of Kyle's body rapping and Pete's reaction to it really put it over the top.

I think the best way to deal with the complaints about Pete Holmes is to have him on every episode. All Pete, all laughing, all the time.

• Like 8

"Biggest bladder, biggest lungs- straightaway." David is a cold, cold man, understandably. I think Kyle's dog was less annoying, though Pete is more versatile and knowledgeable about big words and belief systems. Also he'd probably never shit on the carpet. (But maybe if he drank enough we could get him close)

Truth comes out (late in the ep), PH was clueless as to the existence of Beach Poop. Very rude. Question: What happens when PH doesn't find something humorous? I think he laughs even louder which is the issue most people have with him. Crazy thing is that his big laugh is probably partly a defense mechanism, a coping tool, like we all use. His tool, unfortunately can be overbearing and make others uncomfortable at times. But I guess a Pete Holmes is a necessary piece of humanity. Him, TJ, Chelsea, Kumail, Kroll, they all have their own bit of genius and we are happy to have them make us laugh.

As for me, I will always be, a card carrying member of the church of Tigglebee.

There's a thread in the General Earwolf forum where people are complaining about Lauren Lapkus being on too many podcasts.

The first step toward enlightenment is accepting that some people will find fault with literally everything.

• Like 8

When I heard that first fake laugh I had to check that I didn't accidentally play #170 with that Eric Kane guy.

I cannot get my head around these fake laughers.

Pete is great. Listen to his You Made It Weird interview with Chris Gethard. Or Tig for that matter

• Like 1

The first step toward enlightenment is accepting that some people will find fault with literally everything.

My favorite part is how it's not enough to dislike Pete, but people presume to know that his laughter is fake.

• Like 3

I think the best way to deal with the complaints about Pete Holmes is to have him on every episode. All Pete, all laughing, all the time.

not sure i follow.

I like all the psychoanalyzing of Pete Holmes' laugh. Anyone care to discuss what Myers Briggs personality he is while you're at it?

if there was a spectrum of enjoyable earwolf guest off-mic laughter it might look something like this:

PFT <----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Pete Holmes

we're still in beta.

• Like 5

if there was a spectrum of enjoyable earwolf guest off-mic laughter it might look something like this:

PFT <----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Pete Holmes

we're still in beta.

I really like how willing Pete is to laugh. He's an open book. I'm sure he's not for everyone, but I've always found him really funny, especially on Earwolf shows of late.

• Like 3

I really like how willing Pete is to laugh. He's an open book. I'm sure he's not for everyone, but I've always found him really funny, especially on Earwolf shows of late.

Yeah, I enjoy Pete, and I don't have any issue with his laughing and I don't get the degree of hostility he's met with. Just seems unnecessary, especially all the 'fake' nonsense.

I like hearing people laugh, ya know, shows they're having fun and all, and I like someone who is clear in enjoying themselves, their surrounding, and their company. That goes a long way for my own enjoyment too. But then again, I'll laugh easily just at other people laughing. Feels conducive to happiness and laughter, so I like it.

• Like 4

My favorite part is how it's not enough to dislike Pete, but people presume to know that his laughter is fake.

Something in my brain just knows it's fake. I've just been reading about fake laughter and I found this short quiz:

http://www.scpr.org/...-take-this-aud/

I got them all right, but I'm curious to know how the people fare who think his laugh is genuine.