🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
nrkist

How Sponsors Sound...

<something interesting suddenly abbreviated>...So, I wanted to tell you guys a little somethin' 'bout NautreBox--<fastforward>--the only box--<fastforward>---that is a nature box <fastforward>--seriously, NatureBox or however the hell you spell that<fastforward> it's a box <FASTFORWARD> and it's nature <SERIOUSLY FASTFORWARD> Essentially a REAL Nature Box....<fastforward>...Naturebox...<fastforward> Imagine a child collecting some leaves in a shoebox <FASTFORWARD>...it's now transformed to a NatureBox, right? <FASTFORWARD> Naturebox, Nature's Shoebox. <FASTFORWARD>

<something interesting suddenly abbreviated>...So, I wanted to tell you guys a little somethin' 'bout NautreBox--<fastforward>--the only box--<fastforward>---that is a nature box <fastforward>--seriously, NatureBox or however the hell you spell that<fastforward> it's a box <FASTFORWARD> and it's nature <SERIOUSLY FASTFORWARD> Essentially a REAL Nature Box....<fastforward>...Naturebox...<fastforward> Imagine a child collecting some leaves in a shoebox <FASTFORWARD>...it's now transformed to a NatureBox, right? <FASTFORWARD> Naturebox, Nature's Shoebox. <FASTFORWARD>

Get over it. Would you rather hit the 15 second button or have to pay a monthly fee?

• Like 1

I sometimes think about this from the sponsor's perspective, like, how does Squarespace feel when Paul messed up their tagline multiple shows in a row? I don't give a shit, but does Squarspace? Does Naturebox care when Scott Aukerman sounds outrageously sarcastic in his "mmmmmmms" and "yum yums!" describing all the wasabi peas and whatnot? Maybe I'm just so used to the carefully cultivated sort of ads that make it to TV commercials that these seem.... not what the sponsor had in mind. Again, I don't care, but if a marketing executive actually hears these, would that put the sponsorship in danger, or is that what they actually wanted?

• Like 2

Earwolf's ad reads are a reason people listen to Earwolf. They could be A LOT worse.

• Like 2

Again, I don't care, but if a marketing executive actually hears these, would that put the sponsorship in danger, or is that what they actually wanted?

I think it is yes and no, just depends on the sponsor. Yes, because doesn't Paul say on an episode that Stamps.com is no longer a sponsor because they did not like cussing in their ads? On the other hand, I think most leave it up to the podcaster and don't care what they say as long as they can translate it to sales.

In other words, they don't care how the message is delivered as long as it is delivered, and as we all know, if you want anything delivered you should use motherfucking Stamps.com.

• Like 2

I think it is yes and no, just depends on the sponsor. Yes, because doesn't Paul say on an episode that Stamps.com is no longer a sponsor because they did not like cussing in their ads? On the other hand, I think most leave it up to the podcaster and don't care what they say as long as they can translate it to sales.

In other words, they don't care how the message is delivered as long as it is delivered, and as we all know, if you want anything delivered you should use motherfucking Stamps.com.

yeah I think you're right, I remember way back when Duncan Trussell talking on his podcast about how i think it was Amazon or something pulling their sponsership of his show because his ad readings were so bonkers. On the flipside, if you ever listen Greg Proops' podcast, he does ad for a lot of the same companies as Earwolf and couldn't more disinterested and dismissive in his readings of the ad copy and the sponsers don't seem to care.

• Like 1

I just think most companies know what they are kind of getting when they advertise with these shows. Plus I honestly enjoy a lot of Scott's ad readings because sometimes they are insanely hilarious (a recent one involving a police case comes to mind) and I do think some of these companies sound interesting.

• Like 1

you forgot to mention the part where you fast forward too far and have to rewind... and then fast forward again and rewind again, etc.

I won't get on a high horse and say I always listen to the ads or anything and I've honestly never tried any service that sponsors podcasts... but that being said, lots of the ads are actually pretty hilarious when the reader of the copy gets creative (especially Duncan Trussell's psychedelic rants or Sean and Hayes' extreme indignation with Cards Against Humanity)

sometimes they can actually be informational though... especially in the case of learning about Wolfpop's existence today on HH.

you forgot to mention the part where you fast forward too far and have to rewind... and then fast forward again and rewind again.

and you give up when you rewind that last and just listen to the ad.