🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 158 — Austin Lucas and the Fact Off

Some people might call another person a sociopath for not being compassionate in a given moment, but that's not what it really means. People who are sociopaths never feel sympathy or empathy for others. Not their parents, not their children, no one. They don't make decisions based on emotion, they make decisions that will allow them to get what they want. They're also incredibly manipulative. There's this episode of Intervention, season 13, episode 14, with a guy named Nick. I can't say with certainty that he is a sociopath, but if you watch his episode you will understand what that might look like.

• Like 2

So, lemme preface this by saying that I think this is one of the greatest podcasts of all time, and I bought the UCB book, and recognize the boundaries that must be pushed and crossed for the sake of the craft. That being said, the reactions to the sociopath who called in two or three episodes ago regarding his attempted murder of a classmate was troubling to me. The only person who showed any empathy was Betsy Sodaro, and the rest of you laughed it off. That was kind of fucked up. I don't agree with the one commenter who said you should notify someone, because that is absurd, but you all (except for Betsy) responded to it in a very light way that made me quite uncomfortable. So now I feel weird listening to the podcast. Sorry, guys.

• Like 1

Oh my God; the last sketch at the end where they're trying to convince the groupee that comedians are like rock stars destroyed me, rofl. The "emotions" part, with the father's funeral? Oh my God, it was amazing! That one better show up on the next, "Best Of!".

• Like 1

Some people might call another person a sociopath for not being compassionate in a given moment, but that's not what it really means. People who are sociopaths never feel sympathy or empathy for others. Not their parents, not their children, no one. They don't make decisions based on emotion, they make decisions that will allow them to get what they want. They're also incredibly manipulative. There's this episode of Intervention, season 13, episode 14, with a guy named Nick. I can't say with certainty that he is a sociopath, but if you watch his episode you will understand what that might look like.

Whilst true, most sociopaths develop strong and rigid systems of ethics that allow them to function in normal society. A lot of lawyers are supposedly sociopaths which makes sense, seeing as they have the advantage of not feeling bad when things don't go their clients way or when they are defending someone who is an awful human-being and the law is a clear cut system of rules not some emotionally motivated idea of what is fair and unfair.

A sociopath of this type is likely to completely lose their shit if someone breaks one of the unspoken rules of human etiquette or interaction i.e. if someone cuts in line at a cafe or whatever. Larry Davids character on Curb Your Enthusiasm could be considered a sociopath, though he would never harm someone he lacks any empathy for others and is obsessed with rules and people following them. The overwhelming majority of sociopaths fit into this mould and are therefore relatively harmless. The sociopaths without ethics, that go on to become serial killers and rapists are the outliers.

• Like 1

I was at that Asssscat back in September ... I won't name the celebrity, but as they said, she was awful! Her stories were all narcissistic and vain, it was brutal.

Oh and before she mentioned "putting the deer out of its misery" with the pocket knife, she had to share that she was wearing her brand new - uber-expensive - Burberry coat which then sadly got ruined from the blood of killing the deer ...

Anyway, it was great to hear that the guys on stage felt the same way the audience did about her.

Name her! What have you got to lose?

• Like 1

Name her! What have you got to lose?

And break the bond of trust between performer and artists? What are you, some sort of sociopath?

And break the bond of trust between performer and artists? What are you, some sort of sociopath?

How dare you call me that! You better hope you're not fat or we're going to have a serious problem.

• Like 1

How dare you call me that! You better hope you're not fat or we're going to have a serious problem.

bring me my jar of poison!

• Like 2

Medically speaking, the lines between psychopath and sociopath are both blurred and irrelevant.

They're blurred because they're used to mean very similar things, and there was often confusion in the psychology community itself as to the distinction between them.

I say "was" and "irrelevant" because psychologists don't use those terms anymore. Instead they use what the DSM calls "Antisocial Personality Disorder", which includes traits you might list for either a sociopath or psychopath.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this